Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Pitted valve, worn out rocker.... HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 08:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pitted valve, worn out rocker.... HELP

Did a cam swap yesterday on my L76 and noticed the top of the valve pitted... rocker looked worn out too...

engine is working fine, but what could of caused this? And what would be the solution? Roller rockers? Thanks
Old 02-27-2017, 09:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The rocker tips are lubricated by the oil that comes up through the lifter and then the pushrod. It then flows down onto the trunnion, valve tip, spring, etc.

So it theoretically could be a clogged lifter, pushrod, or anything upstream from that. But your parts look fairly clean so I am going to guess you just have bad luck and a faulty valve that has been running a while. I can't exactly tell from the pic but it seems that there is more wear to the valve tip than the rocker so that is why I suspect the valve first. Compare the rocker tip wear to the non-problem rockers and I think you'll find that they are closer to each other than that valve compared to a non-issue valve.

Are you the original owner of this engine?

Looks like you are pulling your heads. Good news is stock valves are very affordable and available.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:45 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mercier
The rocker tips are lubricated by the oil that comes up through the lifter and then the pushrod. It then flows down onto the trunnion, valve tip, spring, etc.

So it theoretically could be a clogged lifter, pushrod, or anything upstream from that. But your parts look fairly clean so I am going to guess you just have bad luck and a faulty valve that has been running a while. I can't exactly tell from the pic but it seems that there is more wear to the valve tip than the rocker so that is why I suspect the valve first. Compare the rocker tip wear to the non-problem rockers and I think you'll find that they are closer to each other than that valve compared to a non-issue valve.

Are you the original owner of this engine?

Looks like you are pulling your heads. Good news is stock valves are very affordable and available.
Yes, im the first owner.... i'm assuming I'm going to have to replace the bad valves... maybe the worn out rockers too... and might as well do new lifters.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Valve(S)? I thought from your first post that one valve and rocker was affected. More?
Old 03-04-2017, 03:06 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like the hardening didnt happen on that valve tip or it failed
Old 03-04-2017, 03:16 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

How much lift did the camshaft have?
Old 03-20-2020, 10:57 AM
Teching In

I know it's an old post but i'd like to know anyways , was it a soft valve tip or rocker tip? it looks like it may be deposited metal from the rocker tip , like babbit on a journal , that can be popped off with a razor knife

Quick Reply: Pitted valve, worn out rocker.... HELP