Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Keeping VVT with a 24x PCM - what would happen?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Keeping VVT with a 24x PCM - what would happen?

I'm about to pickup a LY6 and swap it into a 2000 Camaro.

I plan on getting the 58x to 24x converter, but what will happen with the VVT if I leave it in? Will it just not function? Or will something bad happen?

Also, random question (just need clarification).. If I were to remove VVT - all I do it get the VVT delete kit (LS3 Front Timing Cover with Cam Position Sensor, 3-Bolt Cam Gear (4X), and ARP Camshaft Bolts.)?? or is there a lot more involved? The only write ups I find are regarding DOD/AFM also, which looks like a huge PITA to delete.

Thanks
Old 03-16-2017, 12:02 PM
Launching!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TXjeepTJ
I'm about to pickup a LY6 and swap it into a 2000 Camaro.

I plan on getting the 58x to 24x converter, but what will happen with the VVT if I leave it in? Will it just not function? Or will something bad happen?

Thanks
It would run but the old ECM in your 2000 Camaro doesn't have the output capability needed to control the VVT solonoid on the front cover. The VVT cam would stay in the retarded position with no benefit at high RPM WOT.

Why not get a newer ECM E38 / E67 and wire it up? Putting a delete kit on a VVT LY6 has been done but you are losing power under the curve.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

So nothing bad would happen, it would just be slower?

Only reason would be because I'm already over budget on this (wasn't expecting to go LY6). So I would just want to get it running/driving for the meantime.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Does anyone know for sure if the engine will be damaged if I run VVT without it being powered?

I was reading one thread where a guy was saying he went 6k RPM and bent a valve, and he didn't have VVT "hooked up". He didn't know if this is what caused the bent valve or not - and no one in the thread chimed in if it was the cause or not.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

The VVT will not damage your engine, But your 4th gen F-Body water pump will not clear a VVT timing cover, It's probably cheaper to do the delete than changing to 5th gen front accessories.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by clinebarger
The VVT will not damage your engine, But your 4th gen F-Body water pump will not clear a VVT timing cover, It's probably cheaper to do the delete than changing to 5th gen front accessories.
I've been reading up on this - I saw that using the f-body water pump with spacers (and then spacing all of the other accessories) will clear the VVT timing cover.

I would definitely do the delete though, as it's only $128 - the only thing that screws this up is that you need to change the cam, which adds an additional $600+ (for a cam kit)
Old 03-18-2017, 07:04 AM
FormerVendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default VVT Controller

Hi, one method, better performance AND LOWER COST is to fit my VVT controller @ $200.00.

You would also need my CAS TW and Motor Travel Limiters.

You can then calibrate the VVT "to your fashion" using the Laptop GUI provided.

Would you like my help ?

I also sell Crower Cams VVT "regrinds" with MY specification.

You will be surprised at the increase in performance with VVT

Lance

Quick Reply: Keeping VVT with a 24x PCM - what would happen?