Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Mild "Stealth Cam" Recommendations For Chevy SS Sedan (LS3)

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 10:56 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
Either the PatG spec'd cam or the 2nd CM cam. Did PatG say what core and lobes to run? I wouldn't hesitate to use whatever PatG. specs for you specifically. He does especially well on rect. port cams.
Pat G has his own lobes with us. The only way to get Pat G lobes is to buy your cam through Pat G.
The following users liked this post:
Blk_Ws6 (08-28-2023)
Old 05-14-2017, 11:07 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Either the PatG spec'd cam or the 2nd CM cam. Did PatG say what core and lobes to run? I wouldn't hesitate to use whatever PatG. specs for you specifically. He does especially well on rect. port cams.
Yes, he sent a very elaborate pdf of the cam specs and everything about the cam.

Which is the 2nd Cam Motion cam? The Titan 1?

Originally Posted by speedtigger
Pat G has his own lobes with us. The only way to get Pat G lobes is to buy your cam through Pat G.
Here is part of the sheet Pat G sent me when he speced me the cam. It's a Cam Motion grind.

"This cam profile features PGN352 custom lobes ground under license by Cam Motion on both intake and exhaust. These .352” lift lobes are designed for long spring life and quiet operation with stock ratio rockers and offer outstanding valvetrain stability with high ratio rockers. The PGN352 lobes will out-power Comp XE-R, LSL, LSR, LSK, and XFI hydraulic roller lobes while making considerably less valvetrain noise. The cam core utilizes polished 8620 grade chrome moly steel, which allows the cam to wear longer than the mild 5150 steel used by so many competitors.

Static/Dynamic compression with new cam: 10.7:1 SCR, 8.37:1 DCR.
Recommended valve springs: Brian Tooley Racing .660” duals with Ti retainers.
Recommended pushrod length: 7.400” 5/16” chrome moly but measure to be sure
."

You think the Pat G cam would make more power than the Titan 1?
Old 05-14-2017, 12:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 605 Likes on 481 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I wouldn't worry about the difference between them too much. I doubt its' much. Just pic one.

I'd personaaly go with PatG spec'd cam. The CamMotion cam I was referring to earlier is the Torque Titan. http://store.cammotion.com/torque-titan-ls-camshaft

Last edited by Jimbo1367; 05-20-2017 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-14-2017, 01:01 PM
Staging Lane

I wouldn't worry about the difference between them too much. I doubt its' much. Just pic on.

I'd personaaly go with PatG spec'd cam. The CamMotion cam I was referring to earlier is the Torque Titan. http://store.cammotion.com/torque-titan-ls-camshaft
Wow, I'm surprised, I think most were telling me the Titan 1 would make more power than the Torque Titan.

That's probably what I'll end up doing. That and a RCR ported intake manifold.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:10 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 106 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackdevil77
Awesome, that's what I was hoping to hear! How would you compare it to the Titan 1? I'm guessing the Titan 1 has a bit more of an idle chop, but would it make more power?

This is just out of curiosity, I'm strongly leaning towards the Torque Titan.
While we're waiting for a Pat G recommendation, just for conversations sake, which cam between these 2 should theoretically make the most power? And which would be the most "stealth" like?

Cam 1: Torque Titan 218/226 .595"/.587" 116 LSA

Cam 2: Livernois 1C 218/229 .600"/.600" 117.5 LSA
Back to square 1 it seems. If the Pat G spec-ed cam would make LESS power than the Livernois 1C cam, but they're both "stealthy" wouldn't that make the 1C the better choice between the 2?

Would this make any more power than the Pat G (218/224 .598"/.598" 115 LSA +3) and the Livernois 1C? (218/229 .600"/.600" 117.5 LSA)?

http://store.cammotion.com/titan-1-ls3-camshaft

This is a 217/225 .595"/.587" 114 LSA. At -7 degrees overlap, it should be fairly tame sounding, no?
Wow, I'm surprised, I think most were telling me the Titan 1 would make more power than the Torque Titan.

That's probably what I'll end up doing. That and a RCR ported intake manifold.
Of the different cams you are considering, most of the them are 217-219 on the intake side and mid 220s on the exhaust side with about 116-117 lobe separation angles. All of those cams are going have a near identical exhaust sounds and similar drivability, what the power curves look like will be extremely similar also depending on the intake centerline or how much "advance" is ground in. The aggressiveness of the lobe will affect the power somewhat, but it will also affect how much valve train noise you might get too. The Cam Motion lobes are designed to strike a careful balance between excellent power production and quiet, smooth valve train. So, that is a consideration also.

As far as the Titan 1 vs the Torque Titan, they are really more different than their durations might imply. The Titan 1 has a 109 degree intake centerline and -4 degrees overlap @.050" of lift where the Torque Titan has a 113 degree intake centerline and -10 degrees overlap @.050" lift. This means the Torque Titan will idle smoother and extend the RPM range further than the Titan I. For a stock stall converter, I highly recommend the Torque Titan.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by CAMMOTION PERF

As far as the Titan 1 vs the Torque Titan, they are really more different than their durations might imply. The Titan 1 has a 109 degree intake centerline and -4 degrees overlap @.050" of lift where the Torque Titan has a 113 degree intake centerline and -10 degrees overlap @.050" lift. This means the Torque Titan will idle smoother and extend the RPM range further than the Titan I. For a stock stall converter, I highly recommend the Torque Titan.
I'm confused, I thought the Titan 1 had a -7 degrees of overlap and an intake centerline of 112 degrees. The LSA is listed as 114. Are there different Titan 1 cams?

This one right here

The Torque Titan is right at -10 overlap, like you said. Would the Torque Titan outpower the Livernois 1C or is it about the same?
Old 05-15-2017, 02:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 599 Likes on 413 Posts

Bigger isnt always better. I done seen Pat G swap a bigger cam out a motor install a smaller cam and make more power. Pat G reminds me of Paul Pierce..... he's the TRUTH!!
Blk_Ws6 (08-28-2023)
Old 05-15-2017, 03:51 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I'm confused, I thought the Titan 1 had a -7 degrees of overlap and an intake centerline of 112 degrees. The LSA is listed as 114. Are there different Titan 1 cams?

This one right here

The Torque Titan is right at -10 overlap, like you said. Would the Torque Titan outpower the Livernois 1C or is it about the same?
Good catch! I had looked at the Titan 1 LS1 instead of the Titan 1 LS3. Yes the Titan 1 LS3 has -7 degrees of overlap. I still prefer the Torque Titan for your application, but you could run the Titan 1 LS3 with a stock torque converter if you wanted. As for the Livernois cam, I cannot speak to its capabilities. However, if the specs are similar, the performance will be similar. With that said, many of our competitors use lobes that can be noisy. Noisy valvetrain can drive you crazy if you get annoyed by such things.

Last edited by speedtigger; 05-15-2017 at 05:25 PM.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Tuskyz28
Bigger isnt always better. I done seen Pat G swap a bigger cam out a motor install a smaller cam and make more power. Pat G reminds me of Paul Pierce..... he's the TRUTH!!
Oh yes, that's for sure. I've seen examples of that through some Rick Crawford builds. Rick Crawford spec-ed me what is likely a fantastic cam, but at -5 degrees overlap, it's probably a bit too rough for a daily. He spec-ed me a 215/227 .609/.583 113. He said it should out power the 1C. How much of a difference in power would it make to change the LSA to 114 on this cam? That would make the overlap -7 degrees

Good catch! I had looked at the Titan 1 LS1 instead of the Titan 1 LS3. Yes the Titan 1 LS3 has -7 degrees of overlap. I still prefer the Torque Titan for your application, but you could run the Titan 1 LS3 with a stock torque converter if you wanted. As for the Livernois cam, I cannot speak to its capabilities. However, if the specs are similar, the performance will be similar. With that said, many of our competitors use lobes that can be noisy. Noisy valvetrain can drive you crazy if you get annoyed by such things.
Lol, I had a feeling something was off.

Thanks for the info!
Old 05-19-2017, 11:30 AM
Staging Lane

Do you have any dynographs, videos or anything to post with the results of the Torque Titan cam in an LS3 car? I can't find any results from anyone using this cam on the interwebs.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:55 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Do you have any dynographs, videos or anything to post with the results of the Torque Titan cam in an LS3 car? I can't find any results from anyone using this cam on the interwebs.
It is actually a pretty new grind for us. We have a few people out there with them that love them, but no videos yet. The boss has one in his daily Vette and he loves it. I do need some customer videos for it though. So, if install this camshaft and share a video idle clip and/or a dyno shoot, I will send you a free Cam Motion shirt.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,247 Likes on 2,529 Posts

It would be appreciated if you could post a dyno chart or graph on the Torque Titan. Sounds like a great LS3 cam! With proper springs of course....
Blk_Ws6 (08-28-2023)
Old 05-19-2017, 03:41 PM
Staging Lane

It is actually a pretty new grind for us. We have a few people out there with them that love them, but no videos yet. The boss has one in his daily Vette and he loves it. I do need some customer videos for it though. So, if install this camshaft and share a video idle clip and/or a dyno shoot, I will send you a free Cam Motion shirt.
I'm dying to see a video. What sort of gains did your boss see in his LS3 vette with this cam? As long as it gains at least as much as the Livernois 1C, I'll give it a shot and I'll post plenty of videos.

Originally Posted by G Atsma
It would be appreciated if you could post a dyno chart or graph on the Torque Titan. Sounds like a great LS3 cam! With proper springs of course....
Agreed! Does your boss have a dynograph of his Vette with this cam?
Old 05-19-2017, 04:31 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm dying to see a video. What sort of gains did your boss see in his LS3 vette with this cam? As long as it gains at least as much as the Livernois 1C, I'll give it a shot and I'll post plenty of videos.

Agreed! Does your boss have a dynograph of his Vette with this cam?
I dont think he did a before and after Dyno, but he says his Vette picked up 4MPH in the 1/4 which was a surprising gain to me for such a mild drop-in style camshaft.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:19 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by speedtigger
I dont think he did a before and after Dyno, but he says his Vette picked up 4MPH in the 1/4 which was a surprising gain to me for such a mild drop-in style camshaft.
4 mph is a great gain, that would put me right at my goal.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,247 Likes on 2,529 Posts

Got a feeling there is a LOT happening under the curve with the Torque Titan...
Old 05-19-2017, 09:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 131 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Got a feeling there is a LOT happening under the curve with the Torque Titan...
Well......I'd doubt that they call it the TORQUE Titan for nothin'....

Because it ain't the peak HP that makes the difference with this cam.

.....a fantastic cam, but at -5 degrees overlap, it's probably a bit too rough for a daily.....
Only because you have a different criteria of a good cam for a daily driver than 95% of the people on this board.

KW

Last edited by KW Baraka; 05-19-2017 at 09:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Mild "Stealth Cam" Recommendations For Chevy SS Sedan (LS3)