Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

What is the verdict for mild cam in a L92

Old 06-20-2017, 11:00 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What is the verdict for mild cam in a L92

I'm not asking for much, just a semi-smooth-smooth idle mild cam in a L92 with VVT but no AFM/DOD. I was looking stage 2 rated cams at http://store.cammotion.com/catalog/p...b952e1901da4c8 and http://www.texas-speed.com/p-5330-te...0-112-lsa.aspx

My goal is a nice cruiser made from my 70 Nova. Not looking for in-your-face presentation, but a performer more akin to a cop car. What do y'all think for a good cam? Thanks.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:15 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 237 Likes on 183 Posts

Id go with the tsp one, make sure to install a high quality oil pump like the melling 10295, and change the filter below the valley cover in the back. Whichever one you get youll need the vvt actuator limiter also. Tsp has those and they also have the info for the mandatory changes to a few vvt tables youll have to do.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:31 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the reply. Indeed, I have talked to the kind sir at TSP about the limiter and I need to verify which phaser I have. He advised I may need a different phaser to go with that cam, all depending on what came stock with this motor. And, gotcha covered on the oil pump as I am going with a higher volume, quality pump. In fact, the Melling is on my shopping list from OReillys (veteran discount) and I'll verify that part number. It's nice to get a little boost of confidence when a more seasoned vet guides me into fishing holes I've been scouting. Thanks for the tips.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:47 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Not higher volume. The volume is fine. Just higher pressure. Do not use a higher volume pump, youll run into issues.
Melling 10295 is the pump youd need. TSP has them and cheaper than oreilly. Do not get the m295hv or the 10296. Only the 10295.
Old 06-21-2017, 02:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

I'd PM Clint , -TheBandit_ and ask him his thoughts about his TSP VVT2 cam in his 6.0L 70 Nova. You may not need or want the truck version. He has plenty of videos showing how his car idles and goes with this cam. https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...6-0vvt-61.html

The cam would be slightly smaller given your slight increase in CID.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:46 AM
Teching In

@tech@WS6store - Thank you, again, for the tip. I was eyeballing the Melling 10355? It purports to have the 33% higher volume and "adjustable pressure" increase/decrease with a spring swap. It was also in the HP category but if it's not known and trusted, I'm not deep pocketed enough to be a beta tester and risk losing a big investment.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Displacedhog
@tech@WS6store - Thank you, again, for the tip. I was eyeballing the Melling 10355? It purports to have the 33% higher volume......
I would pass on the 'higher volume' pump......

KW
Old 06-21-2017, 08:08 AM
Teching In

I just want to be clear about the oil pump issue and concerns. It's clear that higher pressure is better, but is there a problem with also having higher volume? And when you think about it, if you push a 3 gallons of water through a 1/2" hose in 10 seconds and then push 4 gallons through the same hose in the same 10 seconds, won't you have increased pressure with the higher volume? I'm no expert and I don't want to come off as arrogant, but I'd just like to know so I can start fitting pieces of knowledge together on my own to realize the sense and logic in this. Thanks.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:23 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Thanks for the reply. Indeed, I have talked to the kind sir at TSP about the limiter and I need to verify which phaser I have. He advised I may need a different phaser to go with that cam, all depending on what came stock with this motor.
FWIW, Comp Cams has two different cam cores for the VVT engines, one for each of the different phasers, just like GM did. When you verify what phaser you have, you can let them know and they'll grind your cam on the correct core so your cam timing won't be way off. TSP grinds their cams in house so they should have the ability to do the same instead of asking you to buy a different phaser.

http://www.compcams.com/Base/pdf/156...189%20core.pdf
Old 06-21-2017, 10:01 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Why do you think the high volume comes with another spring?
What happens when the higher volume of water hits a brick wall? Unless the clearances are set up for it or you are running turbo(s) you shouldn't use a high volume.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:15 AM
Teching In

I presumed there is another spring because of this comment on the pump's features, "Adjustable Pressure With Optional Relief Spring." OK, so the argument for higher volume is supported by the need to lubricate more components? That seem logical. I'm staying simple so that's cool.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:28 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 106 Likes on 50 Posts

I'm not asking for much, just a semi-smooth-smooth idle mild cam in a L92 with VVT but no AFM/DOD. I was looking stage 2 rated cams at http://store.cammotion.com/catalog/p...b952e1901da4c8 and http://www.texas-speed.com/p-5330-te...0-112-lsa.aspx

My goal is a nice cruiser made from my 70 Nova. Not looking for in-your-face presentation, but a performer more akin to a cop car. What do y'all think for a good cam? Thanks.
Is your car a stick shift or automatic? Who will be tuning the car? Some tuners like to keep the VVT while others like to eliminate it. Either can be done successfully. We can make your camshaft either way. We can also make you a custom camshaft specifically for your car at no extra charge. Feel free to call me to discuss your build.

~Steven

The Switch Is On To Cam Motion!
40 years of Championship Winning Experience • Superior 8620 Steel Camshaft Cores • Quiet, Smooth & Powerful Lobe Design • Virtually Unlimited Lift and Duration Combinations • Finish Polished For Quiet Operation • Cam Doctor Printout With All Cams
The Industry's Best Customer Service

www.CamMotion.com ☎ 225-926-6110Like Us On Facebook!
Old 06-21-2017, 10:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

.....OK, so the argument for higher volume is supported by the need to lubricate more components......
Also, I believe that the pump you were looking at, Melling strongly recommends that you have more than a 6 qt. pan.

I believe that any oil pan that you'd be using on your Nova would have either a 5 or 6 qt capacity, so.....one of the best reasons for NOT going with the high volume pump.

Also.....I would call CamMotion........but hell, that's just me.

KW
Old 06-21-2017, 01:20 PM
Teching In

OK, let's clear that air just a bit. I went with the Holley oil pan #302-2 which is rated as 5.7 qts in the sump and 6.2 qts overall in the system. That was selected to match the Hooker Trans mount/crossmember supporting a 4L60E. So, yes, it is not a higher capacity solution and the point is well taken. Thanks, appreciate the feedback. Indeed, Cammotion is still under consideration.

@Steven - The initial plan is to keep the VVT and go with a single. I might, later, consider tuning software to have multiple tunes, one for daily driving in the DFW Metro and seek a little more boost at lower RPMs and another for road trips with more boost at higher RPM. We're still hemming/hawing over the torque converter setting for the tranny and we also have the rear-end to consider. At some point, the original rear-end that came with the original 307/TH350 was replaced with a 12-bolt style, and we'll soon look at the gear ratio. The objective for me has always been having a cruiser that will give me highway power at higher speeds. If you've ever traversed Interstate 35 between Dallas and San Antonio and get boxed in by sloppy drivers, you know the frustrations when your in your stock 2500HD Silverado. I want quick getaways on the highways.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:27 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 106 Likes on 50 Posts

@Steven - The initial plan is to keep the VVT and go with a single. I might, later, consider tuning software to have multiple tunes, one for daily driving in the DFW Metro and seek a little more boost at lower RPMs and another for road trips with more boost at higher RPM.
Ah, so this is a turbo build. I did not see that mentioned in the previous posts. We have an extensive line of turbo camshafts and also do tons of customs. For a turbo build, I would want to have a detailed conversation about your build to assure you get the best possible camshaft. Just reach out when you are ready.

~Steven

The Switch Is On To Cam Motion!
40 years of Championship Winning Experience • Superior 8620 Steel Camshaft Cores • Quiet, Smooth & Powerful Lobe Design • Virtually Unlimited Lift and Duration Combinations • Finish Polished For Quiet Operation • Cam Doctor Printout With All Cams
The Industry's Best Customer Service

www.CamMotion.com ☎ 225-926-6110Like Us On Facebook!
Old 06-21-2017, 03:00 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Honestly you be better off with a std pattern non vvt cam. And alot less hassle.
A simple stg1 225/236 tsp cam. no worrying about which phaser or tables to change etc etc.
Itll give you everything you are looking for and let you cruise with a 3.42 or 3.7 no problem.
http://www.texas-speed.com/p-5760-new-texas-speed-stage-1-ls3-225236-629615-camshaft.aspx

Just needs a 3bolt 4x cam gear and ls3 front cover (which comes with gasket and seal and bolts, sensor and harness)

If going turbo youd want the 10296 MAYBE. a single isnt much of a diff in oil volume needed but twins would be. depends on your size also and length of line. an oil cooler would also be highly recommended as well for turbo.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:53 AM
11 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Just a straight forward simple question with regards to running a high volume oil pump on any engine:
How can you PUMP more oil if you don't HAVE more oil ???
There are plenty of engines/combinations that can benefit from a high volume pump; however, unless your pan HOLDS more quantity I most certainly wouldn't try pumping more quantity.
Sucking the pan dry ruins the main bearings in short order.
IMO from building a few turbo combos, that's not necessarily a reason to mandate a high volume pump. For one; a nicely ported STD volume will feed just fine and second; you then won't need restriction pills to prevent blowing out the turbo seals like what can happen with an HV/HP pump

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What is the verdict for mild cam in a L92