Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Valve Train Experts

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 06:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Valve Train Experts

Lets talk about oil restricted pushrods. I have never had any dealings with them at all. What is their main purpose? Are they needed with an LS engine running an LLSR cam? I have to have custom pushrods made and I want to make sure that I get the right ones the first time.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Call Cam Motion. They'll help you out.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:33 PM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

The purpose of oil flow through pushrods is to lubricate the rockers. LLSR does nothing to change this. Get a set of manton 11/32 the length you need
Old 09-25-2017, 06:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
The purpose of oil flow through pushrods is to lubricate the rockers. LLSR does nothing to change this. Get a set of manton 11/32 the length you need
I'll probably order Smith Brothers 3/8, but this still doesn't tell me why anyone would want to use oil restricted pushrods. That was my main question.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:09 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
I'll probably order Smith Brothers 3/8, but this still doesn't tell me why anyone would want to use oil restricted pushrods. That was my main question.
Obviously it's to restrict oilflow to the top end, but there is a variety of reasons why someone would want that. If you really want to know, you can google it and find a lot of info.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:49 PM
FormerVendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Valve Spring Cooling

Hi MCSS, YES I do understand your concern for the "tech" here at LS-1.

I DO NOT use "restricted" push rods as they will PLUG causing rocker arm failure.
I do use oil gallery restriction when a Solid Roller is fitted at times.
I do use oil gallery Valve Covers with Oil Jets to cool valve springs.

So I ask about your fitted Valve Spring, the Cam Lift, the Max RPM ?

Lance
Old 09-25-2017, 07:26 PM
TECH Junkie

I did some more research and according to one former vendor, the Morel link bar are already oil restricted. With that in mind, I will order regular pushrods. Cam size is quite large. When I get the pushrods, the next step will be to check PTV clearance.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use oil restrictors on my street strip llsr builds never a broken valve train part, reason I use restrictors is two fold rpms and oil control on high compression engines which sees lots of idle on the streets I want the cam, crank shafts and lifters getting as much lubrication as possible.

I feel .070/.090 thous at pressures seen inside a healthy new motor is more lubrication a single rocker arm needs, by cutting what i believe to be additional unnecessary oil flow to 16 rockers will add up to desirable amounts of additional reguard lubrication to other critical parts.

The LS engine blocks with out main priority oiling can definitely benefit from a little oil flow management.

On a priority mail oiling engine block the oil enters the crank and cam galleries from both the front and the rear of the block simultaneously but on all ls1-2-3-6-7 engine blocks oil enters the crank main and cam galleries only from the rear so routing extra oil true solid lifters loaded with spring pressure and extended rpms all the way in the front of the block is very good idea.

I circulate cool filtered air going in true the valley cover out the valve covers via -10 hoses then passed true dual catch cans hot air is vacuum out into the intake manifold and out the tail pipe no oil smell.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Don't ever use oil restricted push rods; Melling has oil pumps to fix any oiling problems. That's all I have to say about that.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by CAMSTER
I use oil restrictors on my street strip llsr builds never a broken valve train part, reason I use restrictors is two fold rpms and oil control on high compression engines which sees lots of idle on the streets I want the cam, crank shafts and lifters getting as much lubrication as possible.

I feel .070/.090 thous at pressures seen inside a healthy new motor is more lubrication a single rocker arm needs, by cutting what i believe to be additional unnecessary oil flow to 16 rockers will add up to desirable amounts of additional reguard lubrication to other critical parts.

The LS engine blocks with out main priority oiling can definitely benefit from a little oil flow management.

On a priority mail oiling engine block the oil enters the crank and cam galleries from both the front and the rear of the block simultaneously but on all ls1-2-3-6-7 engine blocks oil enters the crank main and cam galleries only from the rear so routing extra oil true solid lifters loaded with spring pressure and extended rpms all the way in the front of the block is very good idea.

I circulate cool filtered air going in true the valley cover out the valve covers via -10 hoses then passed true dual catch cans hot air is vacuum out into the intake manifold and out the tail pipe no oil smell.
Can you send me some pictures of your catch can and hose routing?
Old 09-27-2017, 10:18 AM
FormerVendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default EAP Valve Train Model

Hi MCSS, thanks for the kind words. (PM)

I can do an EAP "engine model" for your needs, there is NO fee.

I would need ALL your engine specifications ?

AN EASY PTV, Valve Float, Torque and HP report.

AS FOR the Camster "tech" = OK with Low Lift, Low RPM, Low Spring Pressure.
Valve Springs ARE oil cooled with oil flow from ???, you could get "blue" springs.

Lance
Old 09-27-2017, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Jontall
Don't ever use oil restricted push rods; Melling has oil pumps to fix any oiling problems. That's all I have to say about that.
I'd rather get a higher pressure pump than use restricted flow rods personally.
Old 09-27-2017, 03:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

I agree. I think it is often ignored that oil flow to the upper valve train and head does a fair amount of cooling of the valve springs and the head itself.
Old 09-27-2017, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good we all do work differently we all say what work for each one of us if something didn't for me I wouldn't share it.

As for me is all the above high pressure high volume stable to 8k rpm no cavitation oil pump and restrictors I can live with as much as can help me avoid wear and service.
Old 09-27-2017, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
Can you send me some pictures of your catch can and hose routing?
You got a buy the catch can to use with these routing it will not work with a catch can that do actually retain oil.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:10 PM
KCS

That would just exaggerate some issues that the restricted pushrods would fix.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by KCS
That would just exaggerate some issues that the restricted pushrods would fix.
Like what? Not being a dick. Honestly asking
Old 09-28-2017, 06:11 AM
KCS

Like what? Not being a dick. Honestly asking
Just to keep from getting too much oil in the top end. Oil does help cool the springs, but more isn't always better. Some road race guys complain of oil pooling in the head and not draining back into the pan efficiently, causing low oil pressure on hard turns. Others try to reduce oil in the top end to try to reduce oil vapor that gets sucked into the PCV system when they pull the vapor from the valvecovers.
Old 09-28-2017, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by KCS
Just to keep from getting too much oil in the top end. Oil does help cool the springs, but more isn't always better. Some road race guys complain of oil pooling in the head and not draining back into the pan efficiently, causing low oil pressure on hard turns. Others try to reduce oil in the top end to try to reduce oil vapor that gets sucked into the PCV system when they pull the vapor from the valvecovers.
Gotcha. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Valve Train Experts