Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Need a cam for a L76 and some good advice on heads.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Need a cam for a L76 and some good advice on heads.

Been out of the game for a while. I need some advice. Car is a bone stock 2009 Pontiac G8 GT. (L76). Looking to delete the AFM before it craps the bed and get a little more HP.

1) Who is spec'ing the good cams these days?

2) What's your opinion on the SDPC CNC LS3 heads?

I'm looking real hard at these heads because they're $750 a piece and I get brand new castings, LS3 hollow intake valves and springs with hardware. I won't have any down time and I can sell my old heads to recoup some cost. I know these aren't bad *** Mast or All Pro heads but this is a street car and I'm not trying to break records. Just need a solid set of heads that I can swap without the down time of having mine ported. Having said that, If you know of a better set of heads for about the same money then let me know.

Goals for the car are a solid heads cam daily. No nitrous or boost. I plan on putting a stall, full bolt ons and the Camaro 3.45 rear in it.
Old 12-21-2017, 03:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 131 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by armyboyatc
........1) Who is spec'ing the good cams these days?........
You should Google the likes of; CamMotion......Brian Tooley Racing......Patrick Guerra Racing......and a few others.

......2) What's your opinion on the SDPC CNC LS3 heads?......
Intake port too big for the amount of airflow.

I would send a set of stock heads to Texas Speed to port for $750 ( https://www.texas-speed.com/p-1388-p...d-porting.aspx ).....or buy a set that they already have on hand.......

That being said, a decently spec'ed 'cam-only' will yield up to 75 (or so) HP to the wheels. So ported heads aren't really necessary to make really good power.

Best of luck!!

KW
Old 12-22-2017, 12:36 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 106 Likes on 50 Posts

Been out of the game for a while. I need some advice. Car is a bone stock 2009 Pontiac G8 GT. (L76). Looking to delete the AFM before it craps the bed and get a little more HP.

1) Who is spec'ing the good cams these days?

2) What's your opinion on the SDPC CNC LS3 heads?

I'm looking real hard at these heads because they're $750 a piece and I get brand new castings, LS3 hollow intake valves and springs with hardware. I won't have any down time and I can sell my old heads to recoup some cost. I know these aren't bad *** Mast or All Pro heads but this is a street car and I'm not trying to break records. Just need a solid set of heads that I can swap without the down time of having mine ported. Having said that, If you know of a better set of heads for about the same money then let me know.

Goals for the car are a solid heads cam daily. No nitrous or boost. I plan on putting a stall, full bolt ons and the Camaro 3.45 rear in it.
It would by my privilege to help you get the perfect camshaft for your car. Just send me an email with all the details of your vehicle, desired performance results and desired driving characteristics to Steven at CamMotion.com
Old 12-22-2017, 01:02 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 244 Likes on 186 Posts

Stock heads are pretty stellar. The tsp program is pretty good though!
You want a little more flow we do have stainless valves for a pretty good price too ($40-80 less)

Honestly you want a nasty sound with good drivability in a cam that works great for ls3 heads, our High Lift ASA Cam is the perfect fit. No need for dual springs even, so save some money there also! $515 for cam and springs!
Old 12-22-2017, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CAMMOTION PERF
It would by my privilege to help you get the perfect camshaft for your car. Just send me an email with all the details of your vehicle, desired performance results and desired driving characteristics to Steven at CamMotion.com
I tried calling you earlier but no one answered the phone. Ill PM you my number and you can give me a shout when you get a chance. I prefer a phone call to a person over an email back and forth.
Old 12-22-2017, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
Stock heads are pretty stellar. The tsp program is pretty good though!
You want a little more flow we do have stainless valves for a pretty good price too ($40-80 less)

Honestly you want a nasty sound with good drivability in a cam that works great for ls3 heads, our High Lift ASA Cam is the perfect fit. No need for dual springs even, so save some money there also! $515 for cam and springs!
I'll take a look at the cam. Thanks!
Old 12-22-2017, 03:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 605 Likes on 481 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

My 1st choice is having Patrick G spec a Cam Motion cam.
2nd choice is having Kip @Cam Motion spec said cam.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:45 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 106 Likes on 50 Posts

I tried calling you earlier but no one answered the phone. Ill PM you my number and you can give me a shout when you get a chance. I prefer a phone call to a person over an email back and forth.
Sorry we missed you. Everyone went home for the Christmas Holiday weekend at noon on Friday. But, we are back this morning. Just give me a call!

225-926-6110
~Steven

Quick Reply: Need a cam for a L76 and some good advice on heads.