Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

MAST Black Label Head Failure...$20K motor destroyed. Need Help.

Old 10-13-2018, 08:18 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by EarlH
Yeah...its definitely not a good investment. But after finding out that this isnt isolated, know of other instances where they have put in substandard valves on high dollar heads...becoming more about principle. A couple guys have pm’d me on fb..as i thought, not the only one! Looking for as many as i can find!
Just sayin....not taking sides........If you win your case in court...you usually get all of your attorney fees paid for by the defendant. I've had that happen a few times in my life....so attorneys cost nothing to you. But if you lose....same rule applies.

Last edited by LS6427; 10-13-2018 at 08:23 PM.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
Valves bang shut that's how they are designed, I seriously doubt his springs are so strong that they are breaking valves before bending pushrods or destroying lifters/cam.
Cams lobes are designed NOT to slam the valves shut, but the opposite. they're ramped down n a way to try and close it as soft as possible, depending on the setup and other variables of course.

What he's saying is, running a Solid Roller with to much lash aka too much clearance will cause the valves to "Slam" shut harder than a spec'd setup causing excessive contact between the valve and the seat.
Solid Rollers also call for much stronger valve springs as well.
Old 10-24-2018, 06:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by BlwnLs1GTO
Cams lobes are designed NOT to slam the valves shut, but the opposite. they're ramped down n a way to try and close it as soft as possible, depending on the setup and other variables of course.

What he's saying is, running a Solid Roller with to much lash aka too much clearance will cause the valves to "Slam" shut harder than a spec'd setup causing excessive contact between the valve and the seat.
Solid Rollers also call for much stronger valve springs as well.
There's some Comp lobes out there for the LS that would make me disagree....I'm glad everyone got away from that.
Old 10-24-2018, 06:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,017 Likes on 2,348 Posts

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
There's some Comp lobes out there for the LS that would make me disagree....I'm glad everyone got away from that.
…..another reason Comp has a black eye around here..... They have some atrocious lobes!
Old 10-24-2018, 06:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
I haven't done the comparison myself, but a friend of mine who is probably one the best GM tuners in the country has done multiple back to back tests on the MAST heads vs the TrickFlows.

TFS heads come within 10hp every time.
that means something else is holding the mast heads back. Like a poor plastic intake or improper rpm range
Old 10-24-2018, 06:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by big hammer

that means something else is holding the mast heads back. Like a poor plastic intake or improper rpm range
i'm sure you are probably correct....
Old 10-24-2018, 07:05 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
…..another reason Comp has a black eye around here..... They have some atrocious lobes!
Those “atrocious” lobes are meant for a lightweight valvetrain and they make great power in the right application. It’s not really Comp’s fault that some incompetent “cam guru” used them for street engines with heavy valvetrains expecting 100k miles.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,017 Likes on 2,348 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS

Those “atrocious” lobes are meant for a lightweight valvetrain and they make great power in the right application. It’s not really Comp’s fault that some incompetent “cam guru” used them for street engines with heavy valvetrains expecting 100k miles.
Touche'! Good point, and I did not take that in consideration with my statement. Having said that, there are cam grinders who put a little more work in their lobes and seem to make them smoother for even the lightest valvetrain components, while still performing up to the same levels as Comp.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MAST Black Label Head Failure...$20K motor destroyed. Need Help.