Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Leak down blues on low mileage take out LS3

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 01:06 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Leak down blues on low mileage take out LS3

So this is my second LS3 from the same supplier who claims this particular engine has 900 miles in it. The Oil pan has zero sludge in it and I was the first to remove the pan. It still was RTV'd on the front and rear cover transition areas and the bolts heads had no tell tale signs of ever being touched.
The leak down numbers are done with the two gauge PSI variety. Testing was done with 50psi as the introduction number. I found 2 intake valves leaking by. One was corrected by removing that particular rocker and tapping on the stem with a plastic hammer. The second intake valve seems to be held open by the rocker/lifter/cam. Almost like the lifter won't take preload???? Every time I reinstall that rocker the valve opens. I've tried rotating crank 180deg with same results? I also have 3 other cylinders leaking by rings bad about 40%. My first question is if the engine was hot what type of increase should I see in my testing (if any)? Talking about the Rings at this point. Yet to do a compression check, I didn't have my oil pick up/pan In place . My second question is if I heat oil pan to 200 or so degrees with oil in pan the roll motor over with starter to emulate a warm motor does that method put enough heat on it? I'll post leak down numbers and compression numbers tomorrow.
thanks
Old 02-10-2018, 01:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Frank O'Brien
My second question is if I heat oil pan to 200 or so degrees with oil in pan the roll motor over with starter to emulate a warm motor does that method put enough heat on it? I'll post leak down numbers and compression numbers tomorrow.
thanks
Heating the oil will do nothing, The reason having the engine warm makes a difference is because as metal get warmer it expands. This is why you can have piston slap when an engine is cold and it will go away once it warm. There is also the difference in metal, Different types of metal expands at a different rate.
Old 02-10-2018, 07:14 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
Heating the oil will do nothing, The reason having the engine warm makes a difference is because as metal get warmer it expands. This is why you can have piston slap when an engine is cold and it will go away once it warm. There is also the difference in metal, Different types of metal expands at a different rate.
Agreed. Trying to gather as much information as possible on this engine before I start to put it in my C5 which is not the most install friendly job . So let's just say I'm getting 50% leak down past the rings in this "low mileage" engine . Once it's heated up to operating temperature what would one expect the leakdown number to jump to 25%?
Old 02-10-2018, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Nope.
Old 02-10-2018, 06:28 PM
Staging Lane

I didn't think so. Nor do I believe that even if motor wasn't broken in completely yet that after it were the numbers wouldn't change enough to make me comfortable.
Old 02-10-2018, 08:01 PM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

When engines sit I think their valve get stuck/muck, old hard carbon becomes even older and harder. I had this experience when compression testing JY engines. I tested around 10 engines and all of them had poor compression on some cylinders. I started seeing a trend. I took a couple home and found nothing wrong with either; A cleaned up set of heads and gaskets was all it took to bring it back to perfect. I also took the time to de-carbon the pistons (brass brush + mineral spirits)

I've seen the same thing with imported engines that sat long time also, but not as bad. I think those motors tend to have lower mileage. Also anything with it's pcv system removed or disabled was always extremely filthy, best to avoid those.
Old 02-10-2018, 08:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by kingtal0n
When engines sit I think their valve get stuck/muck, old hard carbon becomes even older and harder. I had this experience when compression testing JY engines. I tested around 10 engines and all of them had poor compression on some cylinders. I started seeing a trend. I took a couple home and found nothing wrong with either; A cleaned up set of heads and gaskets was all it took to bring it back to perfect. I also took the time to de-carbon the pistons (brass brush + mineral spirits)

I've seen the same thing with imported engines that sat long time also, but not as bad. I think those motors tend to have lower mileage. Also anything with it's pcv system removed or disabled was always extremely filthy, best to avoid those.
I did encounter 2 Intake valves stuck open. One was rectified by removing the rocker oiling and tapping stem top with plastic mallet. The other did not take, the lifter is stuck . When I tighten rocker back down it opens the valve. Thinking of trying the brake clean or carb clean trick to hopefully unstick the lifter internals. Hoping to avoid head removal. May force my hand into a set of Johnson lifters and ARP head studs.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:19 PM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

oh man. The only way I would ever consider not removing a JY engine head is if I could run it in the vehicle, get good compression in the vehicle, and pull every exhaust stud loose. Its about $25/stud to remove so a $1000 low mileage engine quickly becomes a $1200+ once you start snapping those studs.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:23 AM

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,152 Posts

If you do pull the heads, I suspect a quick valve lapping will cure any valve seat related leaks. As to the lifters, I got a almost brand new set of LS7 lifters and trays. You might be able to recover that stuck lifter by soaking in ATF - its like the best detergent ever. Tide would be jealous.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,247 Likes on 2,529 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
Tide would be jealous.
Maybe, but Dawn wouldn't.... lol
Old 02-11-2018, 03:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Maybe, but Dawn wouldn't.... lol
compression numbers followed by leak down numbers

Old 02-11-2018, 03:35 PM
Staging Lane

compression numbers followed by leak down numbers

Not very comforting numbers.
Old 02-11-2018, 05:06 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,696 Likes on 2,249 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Frank, is this data taken from dry cylinders, meaning you have not put any fuel, WD-40, oil, or anything in them?
Old 02-11-2018, 05:14 PM
Staging Lane

Upon receiving engine it was liberally lubricated on top as well as below the Rings prior to rolling engine over by hand. Once the oil pick up tube and pan was in place for my application I filled the sump and filter . I also back fed the system with through the oil pressure sending unit with about 1/2 quart of oil. Once oil was pushing out of the oil sending unit tower I started with the compression checks. I ran them for the most part dry meaning no additional oil was pumped into spark plug hole. I did roll this engine over with the starter a boat load of times both dry and wet to try to get numbers to jump to varify the Rings. Both leak down and compression numbers were not administered bone dry like would be on a warm engine. But the test numbers recorded were with no additional oil unless noted.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:17 PM
ModSquad

LS1Tech 10 Year

Upon receiving engine it was liberally lubricated on top as well as below the Rings prior to rolling engine over by hand. Once the oil pick up tube and pan was in place for my application I filled the sump and filter . I also back fed the system with through the oil pressure sending unit with about 1/2 quart of oil. Once oil was pushing out of the oil sending unit tower I started with the compression checks. I ran them for the most part dry meaning no additional oil was pumped into spark plug hole. I did roll this engine over with the starter a boat load of times both dry and wet to try to get numbers to jump to varify the Rings. Both leak down and compression numbers were not administered bone dry like would be on a warm engine. But the test numbers recorded were with no additional oil unless noted.
Gotcha. The engine roll over would have more than lubed the cylinders/rings.
I have to say that I believe I’d take this one back as well, unless your willing to take it apart and diagnose what’s actually wrong. Not what you’d want to hear, but just telling you what I’d do.
Are these pullouts from accident vehicles, or dealership pullouts due to warranty issues?
Old 02-11-2018, 08:23 PM
Staging Lane

I don't want to divulge the sellers business at this time. They still have my 4+grand. They are low mileage units(under 1000 mile) removed in favor for a LSX blower motor. That's what I was told.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:33 PM
ModSquad

LS1Tech 10 Year

I don't want to divulge the sellers business at this time. They still have my 4+grand. They are low mileage units(under 1000 mile) removed in favor for a LSX blower motor. That's what I was told.
Not trying to pry or be nosy. Just wondering if these pullouts are possibly from dealerships with warranty issues, being as how you’ve got 2 in a row that are “subpar”.
For $4k plus, you could get into a nice engine, without issues. I’ve got one for sale, and I also have a guy who I buy a lot of pullouts from. He’s one of the largest movers of LS pullouts in the country. Pm me if your interested.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't put it in my car. Take it back
Old 02-12-2018, 10:20 AM
TECH Junkie

LS1Tech 10 Year

I'm confused by your numbers. Like cylinder #7 what does 245 lost 220 oiled 235 mean exactly?

On the leak down test are you 100% certain the you have the piston at TDC and turning the engine to bring each cylinder being tested to TDC?

Last edited by LLLosingit; 02-12-2018 at 10:25 AM.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:51 AM
TECH Junkie

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Che70velle
Gotcha. The engine roll over would have more than lubed the cylinders/rings.
The cylinders are splash lubed so turning over by hand or by cranking wouldn't be enough to do much if anything to lube the cylinders. The engine would need to be running.

Quick Reply: Leak down blues on low mileage take out LS3