Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Best hypereutectic pistons for LS2?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 04:39 AM
Launching!

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Best hypereutectic pistons for LS2?

The LS2 I am swapping unfortunately has corrosion pitting in the number two cylinder. This will necessitate boring and new pistons for the motor. I don’t have any plans for forced induction or nitrous. So I would rather not deal with the cost, clatter, oil consumption, and short lifetime of forged pistons when I don’t need the strength advantage they offer. There doesn’t seem to be much (if anything) posted around here regarding stock rebuilds. So I was wondering what might be a good stock-type hypereutectic piston for the LS2.

There are a few that I have been looking at. One is the DNJ P3170. This piston has the advantage of accommodating the correct 1.2/1.5/2.5mm ring pack for the motor. It is also the cheapest (available in places for less than $200 a set). But it is almost TOO cheap. In other words, is this truly a quality part?

The Sealed Power H1129CPA is another option I have been considering. They cost about $250 at Summit Racing, which at least suggests a decently good product. However, even the flat top LS2 pistons use the 1.5/1.5/3mm ring pack used by the truck engines. Not sure if this is a problem.

Mahle makes the 224-3665, which is another one that I have consided. But I don’t like the fact that compression height is reduced by .01 inches. This piston also uses a 1.5/1.5/3mm ring pack. But I am not sure I want this one due to the reduced compression. Price is similar to Sealed Power.

Silvolite also makes a set of hypereutectics for the LS2. These cost around $350, which is the most expensive set. But I would be willing to pay this if they are truly the best of the bunch here. They do, however, still use the 1.5/1.5/3mm ring pack. These appear to be the pistons sold with the rebuild kit available from WS6 Store.

Finally, there is OEM. We know these pistons are good, as people put hundreds of thousands of miles on these motors without rebuilding. Many folks here even get some pretty respectable power levels from these pistons without too much fuss. But they are quite expensive, possibly because they don’t come in sets (only individually). There are, however, the fewest unknowns with these pistons.

Anyone have any opinions on these options or possibly know of other options worth considering?

Last edited by StorminMatt; 02-13-2018 at 04:45 AM.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:44 AM
ModSquad

Received 3,363 Likes on 2,081 Posts

Call WS6Store. Their prices are hard to beat, and a LOT of guys here, myself included, run their stuff.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Losing .010" height shouldn't be an issue if you have the engine apart. You can always deck the block as needed.

The factory pistons are most likely .008"-.010" out of the hole anyhow.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Speed pro pistons. Use them alot in oem rebuilds or engine repairs. Havnt had any issues with them. Decent piston for the money. As for the rings being diff it want matter. As long as the rings match the pistons and bore size.

Ls2 stock take a 1.2/1.5 ring pack
Lq9 stock take a 1.5/1.5 ring pack

Same bore, same flat top just diff ring pack.
The following users liked this post:
Homer_Simpson (05-02-2023)
Old 02-14-2018, 01:22 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I liked the Mahle because you can get it on .01 over. But trying to find them is an absolute nite mare, when you do they're 56$ a piece and no rings. At that point you may as well start looking at the entry level forged piston offerings. Like suggested on here, talk to Ws6store. I have bought most my stuff from them, good people. Verdict is still yet to be determined on Mike...but the tech guys cool
The following users liked this post:
Homer_Simpson (05-02-2023)
Old 02-14-2018, 02:52 AM
Launching!

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by BizZzatch350
I liked the Mahle because you can get it on .01 over. But trying to find them is an absolute nite mare, when you do they're 56$ a piece and no rings. At that point you may as well start looking at the entry level forged piston offerings. Like suggested on here, talk to Ws6store. I have bought most my stuff from them, good people. Verdict is still yet to be determined on Mike...but the tech guys cool
Silvolite is also available in .01 over. Not sure that will be enough to clean up my bore, though. As for forged, I would probably pony up for forged if it wasn’t for the downsides of running forged pistons.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by StorminMatt

Silvolite is also available in .01 over. Not sure that will be enough to clean up my bore, though. As for forged, I would probably pony up for forged if it wasn’t for the downsides of running forged pistons.
I chose a 4032 piston from JE/SRP for this reason from here for $571.87 shipped with a JE ring set.

https://www.cnc-motorsports.com/srp-...4070-bore.html

It's a daily driver so longevity is more important than RPM or power.

Having said that, these were fit at .0025" piston to wall and are more than capable of 7000 RPM and 600 HP in my pieced together 6.2 LS7 pile of spare parts.

Cole

Last edited by ColeGTO; 02-14-2018 at 02:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Best hypereutectic pistons for LS2?