Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

C6 LS3 Build - Trick Flow 255's, 11.5:! Compression and Mid sized cam - Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 06:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bigwebb83

thanks! I believe I’m going to either get the morels or the johnson ST2116.

Still considering saving all the money and leaving it stock with upgraded rocker arms, since that seems to be the key to success that none of the leading builders/tuners around the country have figured out yet.

Another mid 11s H/C LS3 on the way!
Old 06-04-2018, 06:11 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZNix

Another mid 11s H/C LS3 on the way!
care to put your money where your mouth is?
Old 06-04-2018, 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 412 Likes on 299 Posts

Edit: Those heads will be fine and the cam will drive great. Call some cam guys and head guys and ask them. 1 7/8 headers for sure.

That cam with well matched heads will idle well and run great on the streets. Get some double springs and steel retainers for street use. Titanium is light and hard yes, but it is brittle. Brittle means when it breaks, it shatters. Regular valves will do, no need for lightweight valves in a street car.

Don't believe me? Ask the pros that make the stuff.

Last edited by Bspeck82; 06-04-2018 at 07:49 PM.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bspeck82
Edit: Those heads will be fine and the cam will drive great. Call some cam guys and head guys and ask them. 1 7/8 headers for sure.

That cam with well matched heads will idle well and run great on the streets. Get some double springs and steel retainers for street use. Titanium is light and hard yes, but it is brittle. Brittle means when it breaks, it shatters. Regular valves will do, no need for lightweight valves in a street car.

The heads will have a reduced combustion chamber sized from milling. Mamo is putting his touches on them as well which should help the mid range, along with the bumped compression. I talked to Tony and Pat G and both landed on that size cam, so I’m pretty sure I’m making a good choice with what I’ve got.

Thabks for the input.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Bspeck82

Nothing wrong with titanium retainers on a street car. I have ran them on different cars for thousands of miles
Old 06-05-2018, 06:25 AM
10 Second Club

Received 173 Likes on 117 Posts

thanks! I believe I’m going to either get the morels or the johnson ST2116.

Still considering saving all the money and leaving it stock with upgraded rocker arms, since that seems to be the key to success that none of the leading builders/tuners around the country have figured out yet.
It is amazing just how much despise 1.85 rockers cause lol There are no secrets in my mid 10 second build, other then attention to what the car lacked from the factory. Good luck Daniel I wish you the best.
Old 06-08-2018, 12:29 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lazerlemonta
It is amazing just how much despise 1.85 rockers cause lol There are no secrets in my mid 10 second build, other then attention to what the car lacked from the factory. Good luck Daniel I wish you the best.

no despise. I settled on 1.8’s myself
Old 06-10-2018, 12:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

I hate agreeing with hiocrew, lol. But get the bigger headers.

i had the same heads you got and milled them the same. Few other things different than you like cam. But on vengeance dyno i made 520/490. Car pulled other vettes, gt500, 5.0 that all made more power on different dynos than me.

i left a lot on table still for power because should have ported my fast, and i had nw 102tb. I still needed lighter clutch, and to up the rpms some. Not to mention ewp.

Main thing with hiocrew is they are going make sure they max the car out with bolt ons, and other little stuff like crank scrapers, rockers. Have 10k in bolt ons. Then compare how they run the same as a 6k h/c car that isnt even fbo. Ut they got the bolt ons and ins done.
The following 2 users liked this post by ohioborn80:
30th t/a (05-27-2022), Rich2342 (03-08-2024)
Old 06-10-2018, 09:55 AM
10 Second Club

Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

Porting on an ls3 fast is a waste of money. Just get the mid runners and at most port align the base if you need to.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by big hammer
Porting on an ls3 fast is a waste of money. Just get the mid runners and at most port align the base if you need to.

my understanding is that the fast itself is a bit of a waste of money from a $ per hp standpoint, if you’re not forcing air into the manifold. I understand it will make more power than a ported stock manifold, but the comparisons I’ve seen show it to be a very small difference.

Daniel
Old 06-10-2018, 09:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

this thread=so much win.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

my understanding is that the fast itself is a bit of a waste of money from a $ per hp standpoint, if you’re not forcing air into the manifold. I understand it will make more power than a ported stock manifold, but the comparisons I’ve seen show it to be a very small difference.

Daniel
One of the main purposes to me in doing h/c or just cam only is extending the rpm range. That's where a mid runner fast is gonna shine. These tests need to be ran out to 7500rpm......you'll likely see a 100hp difference there if the engine is cammed properly on the stock ls3 vs mid fast .

in the ls3 vs coyote shootout when they went from the stock ls3 intake to the holley high ram they picked up substantially. So yea the ls3 intake leaves alot to be desired in extended rpm set ups.
Old 06-11-2018, 06:51 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ohioborn80
I hate agreeing with hiocrew, lol. But get the bigger headers.

i had the same heads you got and milled them the same. Few other things different than you like cam. But on vengeance dyno i made 520/490. Car pulled other vettes, gt500, 5.0 that all made more power on different dynos than me.

i left a lot on table still for power because should have ported my fast, and i had nw 102tb. I still needed lighter clutch, and to up the rpms some. Not to mention ewp.

Main thing with hiocrew is they are going make sure they max the car out with bolt ons, and other little stuff like crank scrapers, rockers. Have 10k in bolt ons. Then compare how they run the same as a 6k h/c car that isnt even fbo. Ut they got the bolt ons and ins done.
Why do a half as H/C car? I mean If you are looking for a great performer this is what it takes right? You want a half *** build then cram you a cam in there with just headers and watch how lazy it is. These cars lack gear from the factory and have a 58 pound clutch set up........ So first 2 mods to a vette should be gear and clutch. Let alone Ohio I had the majority of these parts left over from my 1LE so they were free.....
Old 06-11-2018, 07:22 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

^^^^^^nail on the head

Ohio whining in 2 threads about the same crap. Not even like he belongs outside srk.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:34 PM
Teching In

Why do a half as H/C car? I mean If you are looking for a great performer this is what it takes right? You want a half *** build then cram you a cam in there with just headers and watch how lazy it is. These cars lack gear from the factory and have a 58 pound clutch set up........ So first 2 mods to a vette should be gear and clutch. Let alone Ohio I had the majority of these parts left over from my 1LE so they were free.....
i think some of this depends on how you intend to use the car. I can see that you guys are drag racers. Nothing wrong with that, but not everyone out there is. I’m certainly not. I will take it to the strip to benchmark it once each time I modify it, but that’s about it. Aside from that, I will hit a road course two or three times a year, but my primary use for the car is getting lost on mountain roads on the weekend, so I’m looking for a balance. For instance, while keeping 30mpg on the interstate isn’t critical for me, I take a lot of long trips in the car, and I’d love to retain as much of that as possible. I’d love a low 10 second car, but I’d rather keep some good low end punch and throttle response out of corners. I’d love to be able to destroy everything in Mexico, but I’d much rather retain decent driving manners.

I will likely redo clutch and gears at some point, but I won’t be putting 4:10’s or a clutch that requires a push start to get going. Same reason I didn’t do a giant cam.

As of now, I am going with the 1.8 rockers, the Johnson lifters (still unsure of short travel vs limited travel), the ATI 10% underdrive pulley, lightened intake valves, and still looking for 11.5 CR between milling and thinner headgasket. I thought about doing gears right away, but I’m interested to see how the car Performs as is, especially given the slightly shorter z51 gear ratios.

Daniel
Old 06-18-2018, 07:49 PM
10 Second Club

this guy dont have them left over. And he will need a clutch if adding all that power. If he wants his trans to survive. But he dont need soend 3k on one if his budget don't allow.

and gear isnt necessary if he not trying to set records at the track. Even if he is it isn't needed. Didnt we just see a bolt on c6 beat your time. And it didn't have rockers, crank scraper or rear gears. Hmmmm
Old 06-18-2018, 07:56 PM
10 Second Club

i think some of this depends on how you intend to use the car. I can see that you guys are drag racers. Nothing wrong with that, but not everyone out there is. I’m certainly not. I will take it to the strip to benchmark it once each time I modify it, but that’s about it. Aside from that, I will hit a road course two or three times a year, but my primary use for the car is getting lost on mountain roads on the weekend, so I’m looking for a balance. For instance, while keeping 30mpg on the interstate isn’t critical for me, I take a lot of long trips in the car, and I’d love to retain as much of that as possible. I’d love a low 10 second car, but I’d rather keep some good low end punch and throttle response out of corners. I’d love to be able to destroy everything in Mexico, but I’d much rather retain decent driving manners.

I will likely redo clutch and gears at some point, but I won’t be putting 4:10’s or a clutch that requires a push start to get going. Same reason I didn’t do a giant cam.

As of now, I am going with the 1.8 rockers, the Johnson lifters (still unsure of short travel vs limited travel), the ATI 10% underdrive pulley, lightened intake valves, and still looking for 11.5 CR between milling and thinner headgasket. I thought about doing gears right away, but I’m interested to see how the car Performs as is, especially given the slightly shorter z51 gear ratios.

Daniel
no reason your h/c car shouldn't make over 500whp even on stingy dyno.

i had 490whp with baby cam, exhaust, udp, exhaust, fast, tb. On stingy dyno.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:58 PM
10 Second Club

Old 06-18-2018, 08:37 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ohioborn80
I plan on covering this as you know. Why don’t you ask the guy his mod list on YouTube. He will probably be totally honest with you. Got to love an auto. Good run! Did you happen to notice the valve covers? Wonder what’s under those?
Old 06-18-2018, 11:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

Daniel
that’s a bit of a misconception TBH. If you’re running stock ls3 heads and cammed to run within the stock rpm range then there is little to be had with a fast. The stock one has a decent plenum design and decent TB size, and flows as much as stock heads

its when you get into ported stock heads or really good flowing aftermarket is where the fast starts to help. And if you cam for 7500 and use the mid runners in the fast then it really starts to shine. The stock ls3 intake tends to take a giant steamy **** after peak.