Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

C6 LS3 Build - Trick Flow 255's, 11.5:! Compression and Mid sized cam - Advice Needed

Old 05-20-2018, 04:56 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C6 LS3 Build - Trick Flow 255's, 11.5:! Compression and Mid sized cam - Advice Needed

So I've had the car for about a year and a half now. It currently has intake exhaust (no headers) and tune making somewhere around 410 whp/wtq. I decided to go ahead and do a (mostly) all out NA build, while trying to retain drivability and street manners. I don't expect the car to drive like stock, but I'd love to be able to cruise at 1400 rpm in sixth gear without the car throwing a fit. I'd also like to retain most of my throttle response and torque from 2200-2800 (I don't want a dog on the bottom end) and then start to see the graphs diverge somewhere right at, or just before 3000 rpm's. Keep in mind that this shouldn't be hard considering I'm bumping the compression, adding heads, and adding headers. All things which should add to the bottom end. I'd love to make a great peak number, north of 500whp, but that goal is secondary to a strong FEELING car. I'd also love to be able to carry decent power up to 67-6800 rpm's before it falls on it's face. I will likely set my rev limiter at 7k, and shift a hair before that when giving it hell. I'd love for the car to be able to trap 129-130 in the 1/4 mile, though this isn't the intended use for the car. I love backroad driving on twisties, and I do 2-4 HDPE events per year. That's where I want to really focus my efforts. I don't go to mexico often either.

Right now I'm leaning towards something like the following:
  • 227/235-237ish cam with 113-114 LSA (looking for 3-6 degrees of overlap) - I am completely open to suggestions and feedback on this choice
  • TFS 255's milled .030" with a .040" head gasket (should yield 11.5ish CR) - I am also open to suggestions on this. I'm debating additional port work to compensate for the 5cc's of lost volume to milling
  • YT Ultralite Rockers - Open to opinions and feedback here. Not entirely sure this is necessary for my application
  • Contemplating a lighter weight hollow stem intake valve for the heads
  • 3 bolt cam gear, swap LS3 tensioner for ls2 damper, and Rollmaster Timing Chain (From reading, I don't believe I need the super super C5R chain for this application, but open to input. This adds about $100)
  • Generic Pushrods - would love to be able to figure out length without a checker during the build process, but this seems inevitable
  • Rick crawford rod mod intake, and rick crawford ported throttle body
  • Stainless Works 1 3/4 headers with catted x pipe to 2.5" outlet exhaust (currently Bullets, but I am thinking I will want something a bit quieter after the work is done). I'm wondering if I am giving up anything with the 1 3/4 headers vs 1 7/8.... Thoughts?
  • Oil Pump (I believe I am going to skip this unless anyone convinces me otherwise)
  • Haltech cold air intake
  • I may or may not do a 10% underdrive pulley - thoughts?
  • Other Gaskets, Seals and bolts I need to address or change while I'm in there?
So as you can see, I've got it decently planned out, but if my math is correct, there are 87 question marks up there, and I figured I'd ask the guru's here at LS1Tech to help guide me. I don't want to cheap out on anything that is going to leave me with regrets later, or jeopardize the reliability of the car, but I also feel like alot of guys end up spending about $1,000 bucks that they don't need to spend when doing this kind of build and I don't want to do that. Again, drivability is important to me, but I don't need it to be like a stock car. I'm not often in traffic, and I don't have my old lady driving the car. I'm 34 years old, so my tolerances aren't where there were at 24, but I'm not so old that I can't deal with a bit of a rowdy car.

Last edited by bigwebb83; 05-20-2018 at 05:17 PM.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:50 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,356 Likes on 2,077 Posts

It’s nice to see someone pop in with a clear direction. Welcome to the site!
my first question is what is your budget?
Old 05-20-2018, 06:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,017 Likes on 2,348 Posts

Originally Posted by Che70velle
It’s nice to see someone pop in with a clear direction. Welcome to the site!
my first question is what is your budget?
I agree! This guy is looking to have one mean, nasty, BUT civilized (is that possible?? lol) car.
And to the OP, yeah, welcome to the site!
Old 05-20-2018, 07:15 PM
Teching In

The heads are in hand and labor is freeish. 2500-3000 on the rest.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 215 Likes on 128 Posts

Welcome to LS1Tech bigwebb83!
My suggestions are the same as on CF.
LOL
Dan
Old 05-20-2018, 08:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NAVYBLUE210
LOL
Dan

thabks man. Just trying to get a few more perspectives and round out my parts list.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:09 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NAVYBLUE210
LOL
Dan
I am still heavily leaning towards the cam that you recommended by the way.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 173 Likes on 117 Posts

LOL as we are all on the main GM forums depending on the car we have currently. LS1 Tech has always been my preferred source of entertainment per say. You have a hard time getting the corvette boys to chime in on much performance stuff. You post up what color should i dye my ole ladies cooter and you get 300 replies LMAO
Old 05-21-2018, 01:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by bigwebb83
So I've had the car for about a year and a half now. It currently has intake exhaust (no headers) and tune making somewhere around 410 whp/wtq. I decided to go ahead and do a (mostly) all out NA build, while trying to retain drivability and street manners. I don't expect the car to drive like stock, but I'd love to be able to cruise at 1400 rpm in sixth gear without the car throwing a fit. I'd also like to retain most of my throttle response and torque from 2200-2800 (I don't want a dog on the bottom end) and then start to see the graphs diverge somewhere right at, or just before 3000 rpm's. Keep in mind that this shouldn't be hard considering I'm bumping the compression, adding heads, and adding headers. All things which should add to the bottom end. I'd love to make a great peak number, north of 500whp, but that goal is secondary to a strong FEELING car. I'd also love to be able to carry decent power up to 67-6800 rpm's before it falls on it's face. I will likely set my rev limiter at 7k, and shift a hair before that when giving it hell. I'd love for the car to be able to trap 129-130 in the 1/4 mile, though this isn't the intended use for the car. I love backroad driving on twisties, and I do 2-4 HDPE events per year. That's where I want to really focus my efforts. I don't go to mexico often either.

Right now I'm leaning towards something like the following:
  • 227/235-237ish cam with 113-114 LSA (looking for 3-6 degrees of overlap) - I am completely open to suggestions and feedback on this choice
  • TFS 255's milled .030" with a .040" head gasket (should yield 11.5ish CR) - I am also open to suggestions on this. I'm debating additional port work to compensate for the 5cc's of lost volume to milling
  • YT Ultralite Rockers - Open to opinions and feedback here. Not entirely sure this is necessary for my application
  • Contemplating a lighter weight hollow stem intake valve for the heads
  • 3 bolt cam gear, swap LS3 tensioner for ls2 damper, and Rollmaster Timing Chain (From reading, I don't believe I need the super super C5R chain for this application, but open to input. This adds about $100)
  • Generic Pushrods - would love to be able to figure out length without a checker during the build process, but this seems inevitable
  • Rick crawford rod mod intake, and rick crawford ported throttle body
  • Stainless Works 1 3/4 headers with catted x pipe to 2.5" outlet exhaust (currently Bullets, but I am thinking I will want something a bit quieter after the work is done). I'm wondering if I am giving up anything with the 1 3/4 headers vs 1 7/8.... Thoughts?
  • Oil Pump (I believe I am going to skip this unless anyone convinces me otherwise)
  • Haltech cold air intake
  • I may or may not do a 10% underdrive pulley - thoughts?
  • Other Gaskets, Seals and bolts I need to address or change while I'm in there?
So as you can see, I've got it decently planned out, but if my math is correct, there are 87 question marks up there, and I figured I'd ask the guru's here at LS1Tech to help guide me. I don't want to cheap out on anything that is going to leave me with regrets later, or jeopardize the reliability of the car, but I also feel like alot of guys end up spending about $1,000 bucks that they don't need to spend when doing this kind of build and I don't want to do that. Again, drivability is important to me, but I don't need it to be like a stock car. I'm not often in traffic, and I don't have my old lady driving the car. I'm 34 years old, so my tolerances aren't where there were at 24, but I'm not so old that I can't deal with a bit of a rowdy car.
500whp sounds like a poor cam only ls3 build to me.

carry on.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
500whp sounds like a poor cam only ls3 build to me.

carry on.

i appreciate your feedback. I realize that I could put a g6x3 in there with an under drive pulley and hit 500 rwhp. Making a daily drivable car, with good throttle response and a fat tq curve down at the bottom and mid range is a different challenge. I am going for the second one.

Anyone with feedback on the build, my expectations, the parts selection, cautionary tails, or otherwise useful information is welcome and your inputs are greatly appreciated. First time poster, long time lurker

Daniel
Old 05-21-2018, 03:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 991 Posts

Here's my .02 worth

1 7/8 primary headers for sure.

I would consider a slightly bigger cam, like a couple of degrees.
​​​​​​
10% under drive pulley is nice, it helps the motor Rev a little quicker. ATI makes an excellent 10% under drive that's a good harmonic dampener.

I would put a new set of lifters in since the heads are off.

If the car is a stick - lower gears

If the car is an auto - stall
​​​​​
Old 05-21-2018, 04:48 PM
Teching In

What kind of lifters do folks typically use in a build like this?

I should also mention that the car is at about 65,000 miles and gets about 10-12k per year added to the clock. Anything else I should consider while it’s apart, given the mileage?

Daniel
Old 05-22-2018, 12:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

What kind of lifters do folks typically use in a build like this.........
At a minimum --->> http://www.texas-speed.com/p-4814-mo...ic-roller.aspx

KW
Old 05-23-2018, 07:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by KW Baraka
I don't see why this is a part that would need replacing on a relatively mild mannered car
Old 05-23-2018, 07:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,017 Likes on 2,348 Posts

I don't see why this is a part that would need replacing on a relatively mild mannered car
Some guys would not consider 227/236 cammed engines mild-mannered. Besides that, any engine that might see higher than normal revving, like this one could, would do well to use a better lifter.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:21 PM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Johnson lifters are top notch. If you are looking for max effort but moderate cam, that is what I would do. I personally think in a 376 the cam you selected will be a good street cam. Should have great midrange and not too hard to tune.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 215 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
Johnson lifters are top notch. If you are looking for max effort but moderate cam, that is what I would do. I personally think in a 376 the cam you selected will be a good street cam. Should have great midrange and not too hard to tune.

^^^^^^^^^^^AGREED!! What he said X 3 LOL, One of the sharpest members here on Tech.^^^^^^^^^^
Old 05-24-2018, 10:20 AM
10 Second Club

Just kinda looked at the original post again.....you said 129-130 traps. No cam is needed for that. Heads aren't needed for that other than stock for each. **** you don't even need headers to get to 125+

i guess i didn't realize that's all you were looking for.​​​​​
Old 05-24-2018, 10:27 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Just kinda looked at the original post again.....you said 129-130 traps. No cam is needed for that. Heads aren't needed for that other than stock for each. **** you don't even need headers to get to 125+

i guess i didn't realize that's all you were looking for.​​​​​
looking at an extensive 1/4 mile list (and disregarding outliers) says otherwise. Seems like these cars are 121-122 mph cars with bolt ons. Mine consistently did 118 with intake, exhaust and tune. No I’m not the greatest driver in the world, but no amount of driver mod is going to bet me 12 additional mph.

Looking at the list, it appears that most of the folks running 130 have a large cam with other bolt ons like Intake tb and udp, or running a head cam setup.

Stock c7 zr1’s are just kissing 130....

Daniel.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:33 PM
10 Second Club

More to it than just setting behind the steering wheel man. This is lazerlemons bolt on c6 ls3 we did for him. It had a best trap of 132 that day.

here is before headers and a few other minor mods on a different track.

here's my own bolt on ls6. It's had a best trap of 131.x

since that run it has picked up 34whp with odds and ends. Stock cam stock heads stock sbe....crate ls6. Unfortunately i won't be able to see how much it improved due to i bent some valves. Made some hopeful improvements while the heads were off. Still stock cam tho.

Moral of the story here is you're lookin in the wrong place if you want better acceleration. Just like many others.

Last edited by HioSSilver; 05-24-2018 at 12:40 PM.

Search this Thread