Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Help me build my Aluminum 5.3 twin turbo engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 12:52 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me build my Aluminum 5.3 twin turbo engine

I have a huge project going on right now. I am finally building my dream car. I have had a 1967 Nova for about 15 years now and it is time to turn it into a daily driven drag strip terror. Short story is a 4-link back half (in process now), convert from auto to build T56 Magnum and a daily drivable A/C, PS, PB, Hiedts Mustang II clip with an all aluminum twin turbo engine. Hoping for at least 700 to 800 streetable WHP. Not sure which turbos I need for this yet, but I would like to do mirror image for sure. Never done LS or EFI before so these little engines are new to me.

I just bought a LC9 short block and Plan "A" is to leave the short block as is and put on a set of PRC 2.5 LS6 heads on it with a LJMS twin turbo cam, low profile sheet metal intake and 102mm TB. Turbos suggestion? What would the compression be with 64cc heads?

Plan "B" would be to bore 20 over and put in LJMS turbo pistons and maybe some forged rods. Same set of PRC 2.5 LS6 heads on it with a LJMS twin turbo cam, low profile sheet metal intake and 102mm TB. Turbos suggestion? What would the compression be with 64cc heads?

Plan "C" is to either send the block to R.E.D. to sleeve it up or buy TSP sleeved block and do a forged 427ci LJMS twin turbo cam with better heads & Twins. Keep the block I have for another project if I went with TSP block.

Looking for opinions here on how to proceed. Don't want a trailer queen, plan on driving this daily and swap slicks out for the weekend drags.

Last edited by Dead Hook; 05-21-2018 at 10:54 AM.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 537 Likes on 383 Posts

Joenova will chime in sure.... he will guide you to where you want to be.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,022 Likes on 2,353 Posts

Clean little Nova!
Old 05-26-2018, 02:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Clean little Nova!
Thanks. Time to start cutting her up though.
Old 06-06-2018, 02:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

To me there are two good options:

1)stock shortblock

2)stock crank, wiseco junkyard dog pistons, forged rods.

I just dont see a reason to go crazy on the shortblock for 800whp, and if I was going to go crazy I would want a 6-bolt block. Just my 2 cents.

I would run some smaller turbos (57-62MM) if its a stick car and you only want 800whp max. My preference would be something like a borg warner s257sx-e or a precision 58/62, but turbo preference definitely vary.

cool project!
Old 06-06-2018, 04:41 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Without a specific power goal your going to end up in a scope creep cost rising nightmare. How much power do want to make or how fast do you want to go? Or set out a budget and some of us can help you spend your money wisely
Old 06-06-2018, 06:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by cam
Without a specific power goal your going to end up in a scope creep cost rising nightmare. How much power do want to make or how fast do you want to go? Or set out a budget and some of us can help you spend your money wisely
800 whp on high boost. 500-550 whp daily driver low boost. 6 speed Magnum, low 9's on 28x14.50 bias slick, all steel, AC, PS, PB, etc... 4-link braced 9" 35 spline axles. Not looking to break the bank on the engine, but im not afraid to pay for the RIGHT parts where they need to be. Thanks.

Originally Posted by V8sounds
To me there are two good options:

1)stock shortblock

2)stock crank, wiseco junkyard dog pistons, forged rods.

I just dont see a reason to go crazy on the shortblock for 800whp, and if I was going to go crazy I would want a 6-bolt block. Just my 2 cents.

I would run some smaller turbos (57-62MM) if its a stick car and you only want 800whp max. My preference would be something like a borg warner s257sx-e or a precision 58/62, but turbo preference definitely vary.

cool project!
Thanks for the info. The BW s257's should be a light switch right?
Old 06-06-2018, 07:34 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

[QUOTE=Dead Hook;19909924]800 whp on high boost. 500-550 whp daily driver low boost. 6 speed Magnum, low 9's on 28x14.50 bias slick, all steel, AC, PS, PB, etc... 4-link braced 9" 35 spline axles. Not looking to break the bank on the engine, but im not afraid to pay for the RIGHT parts where they need to be. Thanks./QUOTE]

For this id start with a sbe iron probably, whatever you can find cheapest in decent shape 05-07, gap the rings and start with that. Once everything is up and running/driving and you shake ALL of the bugs out of it ( there will be bugs rest assured ) and you get this humming nicely. I'd then build an aluminum block forged and cam it to go. Turbo and stick shift is not my favorite combo after trying it its... tricky. A big whipple on there will meet your number on E85 and be insanely fun. That said for turbo twin 62-66 would get your number. You could also get there with an S480 single and save some bucks, leave room to grow as well with batmo wheel upgrades and whatnot

hope this is of some help
Old 06-06-2018, 07:51 PM
Staging Lane

[QUOTE=cam;19909958]
Originally Posted by Dead Hook
800 whp on high boost. 500-550 whp daily driver low boost. 6 speed Magnum, low 9's on 28x14.50 bias slick, all steel, AC, PS, PB, etc... 4-link braced 9" 35 spline axles. Not looking to break the bank on the engine, but im not afraid to pay for the RIGHT parts where they need to be. Thanks./QUOTE]

For this id start with a sbe iron probably, whatever you can find cheapest in decent shape 05-07, gap the rings and start with that. Once everything is up and running/driving and you shake ALL of the bugs out of it ( there will be bugs rest assured ) and you get this humming nicely. I'd then build an aluminum block forged and cam it to go. Turbo and stick shift is not my favorite combo after trying it its... tricky. A big whipple on there will meet your number on E85 and be insanely fun. That said for turbo twin 62-66 would get your number. You could also get there with an S480 single and save some bucks, leave room to grow as well with batmo wheel upgrades and whatnot

hope this is of some help
thanks for the info. Don’t really care about the track times or consistent times. More of of a fun car to beat the hell out of on the track with my boy. I love a challenge so man pedal it is. Plus some fun being a daily or at least 3 times a week to work & back car. I have a daily driver I’m going to keep so if this breaks or gives me issues no big deal. Father & son project.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:01 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

I understand. The thing with turbos and stick is loading the turbos properly is what makes them sing. A torque converter does this so well, where a stick needs to be moving to do it and the complete loss of turbine load during shifts is a real pain to tune properly. Small cubes are going to be very hard to enjoy with turbos making any real power imo. You could stay real small on the turbine and hotside to keep things snappy but it will be very hard to tune this to perfection. Not to mention hard on engines, the one TT 6spd we put together ate four so far. Low boost and big on the cubes will make this a lot less of an issue though. A 414 cube engine with a pair of 66 twins and 2" hotside will probably work well for those numbers.

That said a 5.3 with a box stock s475 and a small cam through an auto will get very close to that number, and an s480 will certainly get there easy and if you pop an engine its cheap, fast and easy to replace.

A roots SC would be my first choice if you want a killer driving stick car though, followed by a centrifugal, then turbos, then spray in that order but thats mostly because I dont like spray being a street guy myself its kind of pointless I dont want to race, like you I want to drive.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dead Hook
800 whp on high boost. 500-550 whp daily driver low boost. 6 speed Magnum, low 9's on 28x14.50 bias slick, all steel, AC, PS, PB, etc... 4-link braced 9" 35 spline axles. Not looking to break the bank on the engine, but im not afraid to pay for the RIGHT parts where they need to be. Thanks.

Thanks for the info. The BW s257's should be a light switch right?
I would anticipate positive boost at 3K rpm, with full boost by 3500rpm in the higher gears (1:1 and up). AGP has a twin turbo setup for 5th gen camaros that use all the way down to 51/57's and still make 800whp on a 6.2. I would take a look at the smaller S200 series if you haven't bought turbo yet.