Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Few questions alum ls2 build

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 11:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Few questions alum ls2 build

I am rebuilding an alum ls2 out of a 06 gto. Just got done with the teardown to send to the machine shop. My plans are for 600 naturally aspirated but I plan to boost it. I don't have heads or intake yet, going to stick with flat top piston but I want to use forged pushrods and possibly pistons. It had a comp cam installed i have an erergeticz boost can I will be installing. Can anyone give me advice and possible problems yo look forward to i will be installing it in a camaro that was suites for an lt1.

thanks ahead of time!
Old 06-20-2018, 11:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Not sure you know, ALL LS2's are aluminum.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 536 Likes on 383 Posts

Stroke your LS2 to a 402ci... it'll make the 600 horse mark easier to achieve.
On the top end the cheapest way to get there will be a pair of LS3 heads, LS3 intake and a cam that's at least 236 on the intake duration.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:00 AM

Thanks and what problems will I run into as far as hooking it up? I have ls2 ram and what not. Was wondering about my turn signals lights accessories stuff like that the ma9n plugs aren't going to be the same from an lt1 harness to ls2 harness are they?
Old 06-21-2018, 01:01 AM

They have 6.0 forged blocks in trucks and stuff. Well .y boss said his was a 6.0 in a 2500
Old 06-21-2018, 09:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by William Riley
They have 6.0 forged blocks in trucks and stuff. Well .y boss said his was a 6.0 in a 2500
No such thing as a forged block. All are cast aluminum or cast iron. And all Gen III truck 6.0's (LQ4 and LQ9) are cast iron blocks with aluminum heads, except for the first year or so, which were iron heads.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:58 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
No such thing as a forged block.
You sure about that?
Old 06-21-2018, 04:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

The forging process precludes the type of configuration an engine block uses, especially a V8. I can see crankcases with out cylinder banks, but complete blocks, no. Do you have any examples?
The statement I was replying to was in reference to a so-called forged 6.0 LS block. They do not exist.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:46 PM
KCS

The forging process precludes the type of configuration an engine block uses, especially a V8. I can see crankcases with out cylinder banks, but complete blocks, no. Do you have any examples?
The statement I was replying to was in reference to a so-called forged 6.0 LS block. They do not exist.
The billet blocks are usually machined from a forging. Dart’s billet LS blocks, for example, are made from a 6061 forging.

http://dartheads.com/dart-product/ls...billet-blocks/
Old 06-21-2018, 06:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

I just read the attachment in the above post. A billet, which is what Dart uses, is a chunk of aluminum from which anything can be machined. It is by definition not a forging. A forging is a semi-final shape that has the metal grain follow the shape it is forged into.
Dart calls the billet their blocks are machined from a billet forging. The thing is, all the machining a block requires pretty much eliminates the advantages of a forging. It is a good grade of aluminum, yes, but the grains only go in a straight line along the axis of the block and offer no real additional strength that a forging offers. But it does sound good....

Last edited by G Atsma; 06-21-2018 at 06:59 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:10 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,361 Likes on 2,079 Posts

Originally Posted by William Riley
I am rebuilding an alum ls2 out of a 06 gto. Just got done with the teardown to send to the machine shop. My plans are for 600 naturally aspirated but I plan to boost it. I don't have heads or intake yet, going to stick with flat top piston but I want to use forged pushrods and possibly pistons. It had a comp cam installed i have an erergeticz boost can I will be installing. Can anyone give me advice and possible problems yo look forward to i will be installing it in a camaro that was suites for an lt1.

thanks ahead of time!
You looking for 600 at the crank, or wheels. Big difference there, and lots of money.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:37 PM
KCS

I just read the attachment in the above post. A billet, which is what Dart uses, is a chunk of aluminum from which anything can be machined. It is by definition not a forging. A forging is a semi-final shape that has the metal grain follow the shape it is forged into.
Dart calls the billet their blocks are machined from a billet forging. The thing is, all the machining a block requires pretty much eliminates the advantages of a forging. It is a good grade of aluminum, yes, but the grains only go in a straight line along the axis of the block and offer no real additional strength that a forging offers. But it does sound good....
If it’s not a forging, then what is it? Certainly not a casting. ASTM derines forging as “the process of working metal to a desired shape by impact or pressure...” It seems like the difference between the semi final and final shape is not a qualifier for determining whether or not its a forging.

Regardless, there are considerable advatnages to using a forging for a block. The tendency for a forging to have much less porosity, for example, is going to be a big one
Old 06-22-2018, 03:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

^^^^^^^ 100% Correct.

Just do a few Google searches on "Aluminum Forging Grain Flow" and you will see the benefts of a "shaped" forging vs. raw material that is forged into general shaped (squares, rectangles, round) bars or pieces.

Quick Reply: Few questions alum ls2 build