LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Generation IV Internal Engine (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iv-internal-engine-80/)
-   -   Johnson 2110 vs 2110R (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iv-internal-engine/1904428-johnson-2110-vs-2110r.html)

lsx4thewin 08-12-2018 07:44 PM

Johnson 2110 vs 2110R

I have been having serious trouble with my new ls7 lifters lately that I finally gave up and decided to order some aftermarket lifters.
I have a 370 in my trans am. 706 stage 2 ported heads, btr stage 4 cam, btr dual valve springs. Which lifter should I go with? they seem very similar. 2110 or 2110R??

G Atsma 08-12-2018 08:15 PM

What sort of trouble were you having with LS7 lifters?

lsx4thewin 08-12-2018 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by G Atsma (Post 19947847)
What sort of trouble were you having with LS7 lifters?

I had made a post about it that they kept bleeding off. No pressure was to them. I fixed the exhaust leaks it had, dropped oil pan, checked o ring-it was fine no damage, replaced camshaft retainer plate-it was damaged. Started her up and she was quiet. Oil pressure was 60 upon start up on mechanical gauge. 48 when warmed up. Got her on the street went to take off and the ticking started happening all over again. but it only happens when you get it on the road. Took valve covers off, lifters were pumped up. Rechecked all pushrod length. They measure 7.425 with .080 preload. Swapped them out for 7.4 just to see if it would quiet down because they were just lying around. Nothing changed. Within a few min I was noticing they lifters started bleeding off when the car was shut off.

EDIT: I also had this car taken to a performance shop and was told the dual springs were making them bleed off.

G Atsma 08-12-2018 08:45 PM

You still had full oil pressure when the ticking started? The performance shop is full of crap. There are scores of engines with LS7 lifters running dual springs with no trouble.

lsx4thewin 08-12-2018 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by G Atsma (Post 19947871)
You still had full oil pressure when the ticking started? The performance shop is full of crap. There are scores of engines with LS7 lifters running dual springs with no trouble.

Yes I did.
Thats what I kinda thought as well. My tuner told me he uses these ls7 lifters all the time. Never has had an issue. I will say I took off one head so far over the weekend. and on the passenger side 5 lifters were bad. I think I got a bad batch or something but I was told thats not very common.

kinglt-1 08-12-2018 10:02 PM

2110 will be fine.

G Atsma 08-12-2018 10:37 PM

Bad batch not common, BUT can still happen. Hope you can get it worked out either with new lifters or ??
Just a final thought. Any way to have full pressure BUT still starve the lifters somehow? I've seen the flow diagram of the LS oil system, but maybe I missed something

lsx4thewin 08-12-2018 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by G Atsma (Post 19947944)
Bad batch not common, BUT can still happen. Hope you can get it worked out either with new lifters or ??
Just a final thought. Any way to have full pressure BUT still starve the lifters somehow? I've seen the flow diagram of the LS oil system, but maybe I missed something

Well I did look up the oil system. Saw that there is an o ring on the camshaft retainer plate and if it is damaged then lifters won't get enough pressure. It was damaged and it caused a pretty big pressure leak. Replaced it and the tick sound was so much better. Lifters were pumping up but before they were not. Im sure it helped it just didnt fix the issue. As far as I know at this point im not sure what would starve the lifters considering there is oil getting to the valve train. Plenty of it. They're pumping up but 5 of them so far from what I have seen are like sticking And not working properly. And then about 30 min later they're bleeding off again. So im hoping thats what this is.

G Atsma 08-12-2018 11:46 PM

OK, you just might have some bad lifters. I hope the Johnsons work for you! They're very good lifters.

Formula8 09-04-2018 11:49 PM

Back to the OP's question. So what's the difference between the two lifters 2110 and 2110r?

Darth_V8r 09-05-2018 06:29 AM

IIRC, the "R" means dedicated axle oiling