LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Generation IV Internal Engine (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iv-internal-engine-80/)
-   -   Scat crank (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iv-internal-engine/1910823-scat-crank.html)

startingstock 11-24-2018 12:16 PM

Scat crank

I got a super deal on a scat 4" stroker crank yesterday, and have not been able to find any build threads or personal experiences with their LS crank. I got it new for really cheap, and know that I can get my money back if I decide to get another brand. But..... I would like to use it. Anyone have any experience with these cranks? 4340 4" stroke, 6.125" rod. Good or bad. I just found it funny, the complete lack of reviews. I found oldd threads comparing it to eagle, but giving scat a slight edge. Just curious if it will hold up to say..... 750 rwhp? And if they need tons of machine work out of the box, making it not worth it. I have found some magazine reviews, but don't know how reliable those are. Any help would be awesome.

startingstock 11-24-2018 02:33 PM

Anyone? I'm getting the feeling not too many people use them.

G Atsma 11-24-2018 04:10 PM

Give it some time; maybe the crank gurus will chime in tomorrow or whenever..

Summitracing 11-24-2018 04:40 PM

We sell a lot of Scat products. They are very good. They’ll handle that power all day long. They measure within spec the vast majority of the time.

Che70velle 11-24-2018 04:56 PM

Nothing wrong with Scat products. I’ve used their rods and am currently building a 6 liter with another set of Scat rods. My Callie’s Compstar crank in my 434” prolly came from the same plant in Jina as your Scat did.

LLLosingit 11-24-2018 05:11 PM

Lots of people use them, There are several online builds with good results. As posted above they seem to be within spec most of the time, Eagle seamed to be the only name brand crankshaft that seemed to need work more often than not. 750hp shouldn't be a problem at all, People regularly push the stock crankshaft beyond that.

startingstock 11-24-2018 10:08 PM

Thanks guys. I'm gonna use it. It will deffinitely save me a couple hundred dollars. It's only a street motor. I have seen a couple build threads about them, but nothing on anything after it hits the street. I appreciate it.

95wannabe 11-26-2018 02:22 PM

So did you get this super deal from a site sponsor?
please share

64post 12-02-2018 09:09 AM

K1 Technolgies had a sale around Thanksgiving and beyond, same deal, real reduced prices, $549 for a 4.00” without reluctor so I bought one. I have used Scat rods in LS builds without an issue, I’ve used Scat stroker cranks in SBF builds without an issue. IMO they’re better than Eagle.

startingstock 12-29-2018 06:16 PM

Crankshaft

Well, it looks like I jumped the gun with this. I did not know scat made a "street series" LS crankshaft, which is what I purchased. I just figured it was a black Friday deal, and there was no reluctor. And that's why it was so cheap. I called scat and they told me that the crank was rated at 700 hp, not the typical 1000 hp, like most 4340 cranks. According to their rating, that leaves me no margin for error considering my hp goals. They said something about less meat in the pin area? Would you guys still run this with a goal of 700 to 750 rwhp? Have any of you ever ran one of their street series cranks? I saw 4340, 4" stroke, and 6.125 rod . And I jumped on it. Maybe prematurely in hindsight. Just hoping someone can make me feel better. I know hp ratings are usually conservative , but they even told me 700 hp N/A. No boost. It's got me having 2nd thoughts.

Che70velle 12-29-2018 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by startingstock (Post 20022639)
Well, it looks like I jumped the gun with this. I did not know scat made a "street series" LS crankshaft, which is what I purchased. I just figured it was a black Friday deal, and there was no reluctor. And that's why it was so cheap. I called scat and they told me that the crank was rated at 700 hp, not the typical 1000 hp, like most 4340 cranks. According to their rating, that leaves me no margin for error considering my hp goals. They said something about less meat in the pin area? Would you guys still run this with a goal of 700 to 750 rwhp? Have any of you ever ran one of their street series cranks? I saw 4340, 4" stroke, and 6.125 rod . And I jumped on it. Maybe prematurely in hindsight. Just hoping someone can make me feel better. I know hp ratings are usually conservative , but they even told me 700 hp N/A. No boost. It's got me having 2nd thoughts.

So your looking for 750 at the tire. Your obviously gonna boost it. How much boost you gonna push?
Worst case scenario, you throw it up for sale, break even since you got a great deal on it, or even make a buck. Then pick up something you’d feel better about.

startingstock 12-30-2018 07:46 AM

That looks like the route I'm heading. And the deal doesn't look so good, now that I realise I bought something other than expected. But that's on me. I'm easily excitable when it comes to cheap forged engine parts. But cheap and forged don't belong in the same sentence, so I should have known better.

startingstock 12-31-2018 09:14 AM

Anyone have any personal experience with a scat street series LS crank ?