Well here goes nothing (oe used sensors or new ac delco) - Page 4 - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Notices
Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Well here goes nothing (oe used sensors or new ac delco)

Old 01-12-2019, 12:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by KCS View Post
For the Gen IV blocks going into a Gen III car, I always drilled and tapped the hole for the Gen III knock sensors. Itís easy to do with the engine out of the car, but I have seen one guy accidentally drill all the way through.
Lol, talk about a bad day. In hindsight, I wish I didn't let my fear of doing exactly that stop me from drilling/tapping it... One day I'll dedicate a weekend and get this done and run some K sensors - only reason is because I want to tune the timing as well, not just the AFR. I don't have access to a dyno around here, and street tuning the timing for MBT without a knock sensor will be challenging... hell, it's challenging even with them. But at least then I can detect when someones knocking on the door....

First world problems.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by KCS View Post
For the Gen IV blocks going into a Gen III car, I always drilled and tapped the hole for the Gen III knock sensors. Itís easy to do with the engine out of the car, but I have seen one guy accidentally drill all the way through.
obviously he most likely didn't mark his bit or his tape moved or something. 2 questions....

1)obviously measure how deep the hole is and make sure i paint the bit, but how much material is behind that hole? like how much margin do we have?

2)any reason why i couldn't drill say 1 mm to shallow and run a washer behind the knock sensor to really prevent from drilling too deep? maybe some blue loctite? shouldn't move
Old 01-12-2019, 06:56 PM
Launching!

I would measure the thread length on the K sensor first. No need to drill or tap any deeper than the threads are. Then use a drill stop (metal donut looking thing with a set screw) to set the depth when drilling. Itís a lot harder to screw it up that way.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by s30.hybrid View Post
I would measure the thread length on the K sensor first. No need to drill or tap any deeper than the threads are. Then use a drill stop (metal donut looking thing with a set screw) to set the depth when drilling. Itís a lot harder to screw it up that way.
makes sense, better off buying a 20 dollar tool than a new ERL block, o wait, i cant........

Search this Thread

About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: