Watch out for GSJ Racing - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Notices
Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Watch out for GSJ Racing

Old 12-19-2018, 08:18 PM
11 Second Club

Default Watch out for GSJ Racing

Thought I'd share my experience with this guy so others don't get burned. I don't throw names around but when someone does you wrong I feel its best to go ahead and spread the word. I started talking to this guy back in 2014 and his name is George Jones of GSJ Racing. He is in the Houston area and struck me as an honest person who was knowledgeable in engine building and a straight shooter. I was going to pay him to build my engine but decided to take it on myself for the experience and appreciation that comes with doing the work yourself. It had taken me over a period of about seven years to gather all the parts to rebuild my car from front to rear.

Once I had everything I built the engine and was ready to disassemble and reassemble the car.I had a friend in the neighborhood who had a shop with a lift that allowed me to keep my car there and do all my mods. He had his place up for sale also and while I was working on my car there where prospective buyers coming out to look at the place. After the car was built and started it didn't take long to notice that the car was burning oil. I drove it for awhile hoping it would clear up but every time I pulled the spark plugs I noticed that the 7&8 plugs where caked with cooked on oil. At the time the car was setup with a sealed catch can and I was thinking it was sucking the oil into the manifold and dumping on the back cylinders as you could clearly see oil at the back of the intake manifold.

I reached out to George and he mentioned it could be the rings or the valve guides and that I was going to have to pull the motor back out. I told him that I would go ahead and drop it back out and I offered to pay him to come out and take a look to see if he could determine what was going on with the motor. This was my first time meeting him in person though I've been talking to him for almost a year now. When he came out he had a bore scope with him and he started looking into the engine. He had noticed a bur on one of the valve guides and started downing TSP about the work done to the guides on the cylinder heads. He also noticed something in cylinder one that he felt we needed to pull the heads but first a leak down test was done on the motor. All this stuff was Greek to me at the time as I did not know what to look for or how to even use these types of tools.

Once we got the heads off he showed me a little scratch in the cylinder wall and felt that that cylinder needed to be re-honed and re-ringed since this cylinder had the lowest number with the leak down and contributed it to the scratch in the cylinder wall . He felt that the bottom end was okay and offered to go back through the cylinder heads to clean them up, work on the guides and re-install new valve seals. I asked him the cost and he told me $350 and I agreed. I got a call back from him a few days later telling me he found metal in the heads and there's something going on there so I started doing some research and found where some people with Comp Cams trunnions where having issues with them and since I had those I took a look and sure enough metal was being removed from the trunnions which prompted me to go with the Straub bushings.

I ordered a new ring with the Straub bushings and commenced to rebuilding my rockers, cleaning all the oil out of my intake manifold and off of the pistons and dropped the No. 1 rod and piston out of the hole. George came back out a few days later and re-honed the cylinder but wasn't finished with my heads yet but planned on having them done by the end of the week. I didn't want to take a chance of oil getting back into the intake manifold this time so I reached out to Bryan with LME Houston and he suggested venting to atmosphere with 10AN lines to a breather can from the valve covers. The end of the week finally came but I had to make the trip to George's work in order to pay him the money and pick up my heads which I gladly did since the property where my car is had been sold and I needed to get my car out of there ASAP! I put everything back together again and took it out for a drive around and it was still burning oil and soaking the 7&8 plugs and since I was venting to atmosphere I knew it was getting past the rings. I called to let George know and He told me that you need to re-hone and re-ring all of the cylinders so I immediately took it back to the lift and dropped the motor back out again, tore it completely down and put the block on the engine stand. I purchased a Flex Hone for my bore, new ring sets and paid George $200 to come back out and re-hone all of the cylinders.

Once that was completed I reassembled the engine and transmission and got everything back in the car and this time after some driving and putting some heat into the cylinders I had an engine that didn't burn oil and soak my 7&8 plugs anymore. Finally confident that the car would make the trip to Victoria to meet with Patrick and Kurt for a dyno session which ended early due to the fact that my fuel pressure was falling off after 4,000 RPM's indicating that my fuel pump was insufficient. Another thing I noticed while there was it sounded like i was having a lifter ticking and I had asked Kurt about it and he told me I need to look into it..Well after some time of driving it around it was getting noticeably louder to the point that I didn't want to start it anymore and started researching about LS7 valve train issues and how they have dropped valves and how to perform a wiggle test. I then went out to check my valves and the first one I checked was the intake on No.1 and it was moving up and down way too much and I then knew that these heads have to come back off. Here are some pictures of what I've discovered and when I reached back out to George he denied any wrong doing and blamed TSP for installing the valves in the heads and me for building the motor.

This engine has less than 5,000 miles on it and once I dropped the k-member back on the ground and pulled the intake, valve covers and rocker arms. Once I got the rocker arms off I quickly noticed that the valves are no longer even along the top as they where when I built the motor originally. I sent a picture of a head showing the valve heights and his reply was for me to put a straight edge on it and I texted back saying you could clearly see with the naked eye that they are not even. His next reply to me was the that a valve has either gotten sucked into the seat or the rocker arms are beating the **** out of the tops of the valves. I told him that I wasn't buying that because it's the same way for both heads. When I pulled the heads I sent him a picture of the combustion chamber and told him that I thought the exhaust valve was to high in the seat and he replied back that he thought the exhaust looked good and that the intake was sucked into the seat. The next morning I got my can of brake clean out and cleaned the combustion chamber around the intake and exhaust valves and noticed that the intake valve sat lower in the seat as you could see the polished area of where the seat was. I sent him that picture and told him that I questioned these intake valves but got no response. What he didn't know is that I've bought tools to take heads apart so I could now clean them up, lap in the valves and put them back together with new valve seals and since I knew there was an issue with the No.1 intake I started there first. Once I got the intake valve free I pulled it out some and grabbed my caliper gauge and measured it. I was shocked to find that valve only measured 2.166 when it should have been 2.20. I texted him back with the picture and he responded by saying that is a question for Texas Speed and I replied back saying that "I'm not buying that Texas Speed put a 2.165 valve in my LS7 heads" I'm also questioning that the exhaust valves I got back are even the ones from Texas Speed but have not confirmed.

There are two kinds of people in this world that I just cannot stand and that a liar and a thief and this guy is both of them. i told him I bet my years salary and I'm sure it's more than he makes in a year that if I where to put a 2.20 valve back on what's left of the original seat that the tops of those valves would line up again. I told him the he was a dishonest person who betrayed my trust and that I wished I'd have never met him. He was the only person that I allowed to touch those heads and I've learned an expensive lesson! I'm now in the process of replacing my TSP heads. I reached out to Travis at LME and he was able to get me into a new set of heads by the end of the week so kudos to those guys!

There's your straight edge!

You can clearly see the original valve seat.

What more proof do I need! The guy is bad news!

Old 12-19-2018, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oooof. I hate stories like this, and unfortunately there are lots of them out there.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well at least he told all of us the crook's name, so we all know what a dick he is. Hat's off for telling! A public service!
Old 12-19-2018, 11:05 PM
TECH Addict

That sucks.
Old 12-20-2018, 06:05 AM
On The Tree

Not that it would make up 0.034" here, but that is not the correct way to measure a round part with a set of calipers...
Old 12-20-2018, 09:48 AM
KCS

So are you accusing him of stealing your 2.2” valves and installing smaller valves?
Old 12-20-2018, 03:07 PM
11 Second Club

I speak the truth sir and who else is there to blame here. Perhaps you know this person and this gets back to him and then he will confront me on this. I've sent the heads in for inspection by a professional and there's no mistaken what has happened here.
Old 12-20-2018, 04:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Take the heads to another machine shop and have them check them. Have them write down what they found was wrong. And take it to him and ask for your money back and the cost of the inspection.

I looks like every exhaust valve is lower than every intake valve.

I'd really like to see more pics of the valve down in the seat and pics of the seat itself.
Old 12-20-2018, 05:02 PM
11 Second Club

The heads are with LME right now and I'll get them back when I go pick up my new heads which hopefully is sometime tomorrow.
Old 12-20-2018, 05:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 01CamaroSSTx View Post
The heads are with LME right now and I'll get them back when I go pick up my new heads which hopefully is sometime tomorrow.

Did they tell you what was wrong/done wrong?
Old 12-20-2018, 05:10 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS View Post
Take the heads to another machine shop and have them check them. Have them write down what they found was wrong. And take it to him and ask for your money back and the cost of the inspection.

I looks like every exhaust valve is lower than every intake valve.

I'd really like to see more pics of the valve down in the seat and pics of the seat itself.
Actually every intake valve is sucked into the seat which is why the tops of the intake valves are higher than the exhaust valves.
Old 12-20-2018, 05:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Actually every intake valve is sucked into the seat which is why the tops of the intake valves are higher than the exhaust valves.

I see that. I even posted about it.

I'm curious what they said the cause of it is.
Old 12-20-2018, 05:22 PM
11 Second Club

Sir what do you think will happen when you fit a 2.165 valve into a seat that was originally machined for a 2.20 valve?
Old 12-20-2018, 05:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Sir what do you think will happen when you fit a 2.165 valve into a seat that was originally machined for a 2.20 valve?
Bad things

Did they confirm the valve was in fact 2.165? Are your calipers 100% accurate? Did you measure them in a 100% accurate way? Did you confirm the measurement with a more accurate dial caliper? Did you calibrate your calipers before measuring? Did you measure stem length? Did you see if the seats were machined too deep? It appears you're using a low cost digital caliper, I've seen those be off.

I'm simply trying to ask you what all the machine shop found, there may be even more issues than what you found. They may find something a little different or find more than what you found, maybe not. I was curious if they did, and what their findings were. Just a simple question that you seem to not want to answer.
Old 12-20-2018, 06:07 PM
TECH Regular

I think we all are just asking if there was a complete head analysis and diagnosis of this situation by a known professional with a non biased opinion of your heads. Were not saying this man wasn't dishonest and crooked but the machine shop should have relayed to u there findings and there expert opinion on what was the cause. Pro shops use pro tools and have professional procedures for these things. We all have a set of cheap calipers and can put them on a valve but a pair that has been correctly calibrated put onto a valve and measured correctly by a shop would tell us what we were wanting to know. It's obvious your upset as u should be but that doesn't mean u can't get us the shops diagnosis report unless u didnt pay for one and just bought new heads which is also fine just wondering
Old 12-20-2018, 06:09 PM
11 Second Club

Bad things

Did they confirm the valve was in fact 2.165? Are your calipers 100% accurate? Did you measure them in a 100% accurate way? Did you confirm the measurement with a more accurate dial caliper? Did you calibrate your calipers before measuring? Did you measure stem length? Did you see if the seats were machined too deep? It appears you're using a low cost digital caliper, I've seen those be off.

I'm simply trying to ask you what all the machine shop found, there may be even more issues than what you found. They may find something a little different or find more than what you found, maybe not. I was curious if they did, and what their findings were. Just a simple question that you seem to not want to answer.
I realize that my tool is not as accurate but for the intended purpose it works fine. I pulled an intake valve from my 241 heads that originally where on the car and that measured 1.998 which I believe there supposed to be 2.000. I will know more tomorrow when I pick them up.
Old 12-20-2018, 06:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Dimeomboost View Post
I think we all are just asking if there was a complete head analysis and diagnosis of this situation by a known professional with a non biased opinion of your heads. Were not saying this man wasn't dishonest and crooked but the machine shop should have relayed to u there findings and there expert opinion on what was the cause. Pro shops use pro tools and have professional procedures for these things. We all have a set of cheap calipers and can put them on a valve but a pair that has been correctly calibrated put onto a valve and measured correctly by a shop would tell us what we were wanting to know. It's obvious your upset as u should be but that doesn't mean u can't get us the shops diagnosis report unless u didnt pay for one and just bought new heads which is also fine just wondering
Exactly. We can see what you found. But what else was found, if anything.

I realize that my tool is not as accurate but for the intended purpose it works fine. I pulled an intake valve from my 241 heads that originally where on the car and that measured 1.998 which I believe there supposed to be 2.000. I will know more tomorrow when I pick them up.
Cool let us know what they say.

Old 12-22-2018, 10:48 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dimeomboost View Post
Exactly. We can see what you found. But what else was found, if anything.

Cool let us know what they say.
LME didn't waste their time on the PRC heads and focused on the new heads. It is confirmed that incorrect valves where in the heads and the guides/seats have damage as a result. I'm merely making it aware to others to be careful out there with your stuff and I feel foolish for putting my trust into someone who I thought was a friend. It's time to move forward with this and enjoy the season so have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Old 12-22-2018, 10:50 AM
11 Second Club

The intake valves

Search this Thread

About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: