LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Generation IV Internal Engine (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iv-internal-engine-80/)
-   -   Adjustable rockers with short travel lifters (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iv-internal-engine/1912276-adjustable-rockers-short-travel-lifters.html)

TurboTim 12-24-2018 06:36 AM

Adjustable rockers with short travel lifters

This may be crazy but can you run adjustable rockers with short travel lifters and run them extra tight so if they bleed down at higher rpms they basically act like a solid roller.

G Atsma 12-24-2018 11:01 AM

Hydraulic lifters don't bleed down at higher RPM. They pump up more, if anything. That was the main issue with them in the 60's and 70's

Jimbo1367 12-24-2018 11:14 AM

Just run CamMotion LLSR

ColeGTO 12-25-2018 01:23 PM

The benefit to an adjustable rocker is that you can change the preload without having to buy another set of pushrods.

I'd say adjustable rockers are MUCH easier to deal with when it comes to dialing in the preload of a short travel lifter in a precise and consistent manner.

TurboTim 12-25-2018 02:48 PM

I thought about that too but it seemed like a cop out to properly setting up pushrod length so I didn't mention it.

cmysix 12-27-2018 05:22 AM

I thought the reason behind "short travel lifters" was to shorten the travel Sooo they acted more like solid lifters, hence you would set them up as stock. I have crane cams gold race rollers rockers {ADJ}and they provide a time consuming BUT simple method of setting preload, I wonder if I would use the same procedure to set short travel lifters? I will have to call Comp or Crane, like I always say, "you wouldn't call the MFG'?

Double06 01-05-2019 07:28 AM

I have the Johnson what I call the medium travel lifters with a full piston movement of .090 (versus .200 for stock) and you set the preload at like .025-.045. They also sell a short travel with plunger travel of only .058 and that is a more exact preload of like .010-.020. With a short travel having adjustable rockers is nice as it is very difficult to get all pushrod that dialed in without have a lot of different pushrods. Then is you ever shave the head again you need all new pushrods.

Darth_V8r 01-05-2019 08:16 AM

When I ran the Johnson short travel I set preload to 0.038. When the car warms up preload drops to .028, which is basically dead center.

Advantage to adjustable rockers is you do not need custom pushrods. To set preload that precisely, you order a set like 7 x 7.396, 4 x 7.403, 3 x 7.411, 2 x 7.417 to get them all preloaded the same. And figure how much time it takes to get all those measurements.

Disadvantage is that it is something else that can come loose. When you do the custom length pushrods and fixed rockers, how much do you think your preload changes over the whole time the engine is in service?

Even LLSR, I have done with fixed rockers, custom pushrods, and shims under the pedestals. Extremely stable that way. One less thing to worry about.