My fire breathing dragon is alive again! - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Notices
Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

My fire breathing dragon is alive again!

Old 01-01-2019, 09:13 PM
11 Second Club

Default My fire breathing dragon is alive again!

Old 01-01-2019, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds great man!!!
Old 01-01-2019, 09:51 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Che70velle View Post
Sounds great man!!!
Thanks man! I'm gonna go ahead and say that doing this without a lift was a little nerve racking but managed to get it done.
Old 01-02-2019, 02:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Im looking at your sig and your defiantly from Texas. Go big or go home!! Lol
Old 01-03-2019, 02:14 PM
On The Tree

Nice. I like the sound. My new LS7 sounds similar. Cam specs?
Old 01-03-2019, 06:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Motor sounds nasty. No sewing machine sounds here. LOL.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:14 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 383z View Post
Im looking at your sig and your defiantly from Texas. Go big or go home!! Lol
Yeah but it's never big enough is it man! This car used to cruise the streets around Clear Lake and Nassau Bay when I was living at the Bay Place Apartments near El Camino Real and Bay Area Blvd. I hadn't had the car a week and remember waking up to go out to breakfast with my wife only to find some thieves had stole the damn hood off my car. I had an 81 Z28 that was losing parts as well so you can only imagine how happy I was to finally get away from apartment complexes.

Originally Posted by lowcountry View Post
Nice. I like the sound. My new LS7 sounds similar. Cam specs?
Thanks! The cam is a custom grind spec'd by Martin Smallwood when he worked at Tick Performance and is a 243/251 .661 In. .633 Ex. 115+5 LSA.

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367 View Post
Motor sounds nasty. No sewing machine sounds here. LOL.
Yeah it's kinda hard to listen for them with open headers!. I got all the exhaust back on the car now and I'm looking forward to seeing how it responds with the new cylinder heads. Looks like some sunny and dry days coming around here finally.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:29 AM
10 Second Club

Nice vid. Idling around 750? What compression?
Old 01-07-2019, 08:41 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r View Post
Nice vid. Idling around 750? What compression?
Thank you sir

It's around 12.0:1 with the new heads and gaskets, and at the time of start up it may have been 750 but it usually idles around 850-900.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

01CamaroSSTx, your LS7 definitely rocks
That's got to be a blast to drive
Old 01-08-2019, 09:16 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A View Post
01CamaroSSTx, your LS7 definitely rocks
That's got to be a blast to drive
To be honest with you this build turned out to be a freaking nightmare! I had a ring issue after my first install but wasn't certain that was the issue so I called someone that I was referred to and he came out to take a look at things but he automatically said it's the rings and told me the motor had to come back out. So I pulled the engine again and after his analysis he determined that it was PCV related but my heads needed to be gone back through due to the guides having bronze burrs that needed to be removed. He notified me that he was finding metal shavings in the heads so I checked my rocker arm trunnions and sure enough they where getting eaten up so replaced them with Straub bushed trunnions. Paid him for his work to the heads and put everything back together only this time I vented to atmosphere but I still ended up having the same issue with the back cylinders burning oil and that's when I knew there was a ring issue so I dropped the motor and trans for a second time to re-hone and re-ring all the cylinders as instructed by this person. Put it all back together again and finally no more oil burning but after a drive to see the tuner I noticed some valve train noises. Well those noises got worse over time and I could not determine exactly where it was coming from as it was all over the place so after some research about valves dropping on the LS7 heads I came across a post about how to check for excessive guide wear. I pulled the driver side valve cover and started checking and the first valve checked was the intake valve and the guide was shot and so was the next intake and the next intake so I dropped the motor for the third time and found out that this guy basically stole my titanium intake valves and I'm pretty sure he jacked all of my valves and replaced them with LS3 intake valves and in doing so he did some seat work to the heads as well which probably ruined them too so I ended up going with a set of Brodix BR7's from LME in Houston. Long story short I haven't had much time in the seat since the initial build but after the ring issue was resolved we couldn't take the car past 4,000 rpm's due to a fuel pump issue but after putting in the new pump I took it to the track and made five passes on the LS7 with the junk valves and ended up bending my axles and having to replace those but now after all is said and done I will finally be able to get the car over to the tuner and get it properly tuned. Hoping to have this done before Spring. My son's first car is a 2011 Grand Sport with the LS3 with a 6 speed which I drove it home for him as he wasn't comfortable driving a manual. Well after driving that Corvette and then getting behind the wheel of the Camaro it was not as pleasurable to drive as his so I've made it a point to never drive his car again! It may not drive as nice as his but mines much faster and I'm hoping to see low 11's on motor this year. Finally got the rest of the exhaust on below is a sound clip.

Old 01-12-2019, 10:28 AM
11 Second Club

Took it out for a road trip and man what a difference! Just need to go through a bolt check today and get it back to Patrick for a dyno session in the coming month. I'm anxious to see how much power and torque it will make.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry about that *** messing with your heads like that. It's hard to trust people with your car and parts. You work hard and stress about getting things perfect and they can give 2 [email protected]@ks. Is the guy on Houston?

Sounds good!! I want to see some numbers too!!
Old 01-12-2019, 02:25 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 383z View Post
Sorry about that *** messing with your heads like that. It's hard to trust people with your car and parts. You work hard and stress about getting things perfect and they can give 2 [email protected]@ks. Is the guy on Houston?

Sounds good!! I want to see some numbers too!!
Thanks man! I hope others read this too and learn from my mistake. People have a way of earning and betraying ones trust and this guy was a nobody so make sure your dealing with professionals in the business like Texas Speed, Late Model Engines and Nickens Brothers Racing Engines. I was made the fool and that's what probably angers me the most about all of this. The guys got BIG ***** I'll give him that! I have way too much to lose in order to get even with him so I consider him a lucky man. Perhaps one day he will rip someone off that doesn't see it the same way I do and gives him what he's got coming!

Happy to share my dyno results when I get them. The car made 475 HP and 490 TQ at 4,000 rpms before losing fuel pressure on the 255 pump. I would love to see 600HP at the back tire but I'm not sure it will get there on just motor but we'll know soon enough.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 01CamaroSSTx View Post
Thanks man! I hope others read this too and learn from my mistake. People have a way of earning and betraying ones trust and this guy was a nobody so make sure your dealing with professionals in the business like Texas Speed, Late Model Engines and Nickens Brothers Racing Engines. I was made the fool and that's what probably angers me the most about all of this. The guys got BIG ***** I'll give him that! I have way too much to lose in order to get even with him so I consider him a lucky man. Perhaps one day he will rip someone off that doesn't see it the same way I do and gives him what he's got coming!

Happy to share my dyno results when I get them. The car made 475 HP and 490 TQ at 4,000 rpms before losing fuel pressure on the 255 pump. I would love to see 600HP at the back tire but I'm not sure it will get there on just motor but we'll know soon enough.
This is just too close to home to ignore. Extra precautions were taken on every step while assembling my 427. This was my first build, ever - so you can imagine how paranoid I was with every step I took. The attention to detail, the following of procedures for correct assembly, everything. New sensors, new everything go along with it. Then what happens? I trusted a s***head tuner with good reviews. Big mistake. Like mentioned above...we give all this extra attention and are double checking everything because it is ours, and because no one can care like we do about our own stuff. I never realized how true that was until I took my car to this pos dyno shop. It takes a lot for me to hold back and not name and shame.

I can tell you this though, it got me in to the tuning game... it's never driven better than it is right now. Finalizing it now... but I can tell you that there was definitely some level of damage done from his awful tuning. (He neglected the VE table all-together). So the parts that were running extra rich, and extra lean, were never modified. I have no doubt there was some damage incurred by the rings, but as of right now I have no proof of damage other than my previous oil change at 6000 miles which has me concerned.

Anyway.... I know how it goes. My biggest fear (and honestly I get exhausted thinking about it) is that I have to pull the engine, and rebuild it. This time, with me tuning it from the get go - because again, no one pays attention to our stuff like we do. Not even a "pro" dyno tuner.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:35 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by AndyTA View Post
This is just too close to home to ignore. Extra precautions were taken on every step while assembling my 427. This was my first build, ever - so you can imagine how paranoid I was with every step I took. The attention to detail, the following of procedures for correct assembly, everything. New sensors, new everything go along with it. Then what happens? I trusted a s***head tuner with good reviews. Big mistake. Like mentioned above...we give all this extra attention and are double checking everything because it is ours, and because no one can care like we do about our own stuff. I never realized how true that was until I took my car to this pos dyno shop. It takes a lot for me to hold back and not name and shame.

I can tell you this though, it got me in to the tuning game... it's never driven better than it is right now. Finalizing it now... but I can tell you that there was definitely some level of damage done from his awful tuning. (He neglected the VE table all-together). So the parts that were running extra rich, and extra lean, were never modified. I have no doubt there was some damage incurred by the rings, but as of right now I have no proof of damage other than my previous oil change at 6000 miles which has me concerned.

Anyway.... I know how it goes. My biggest fear (and honestly I get exhausted thinking about it) is that I have to pull the engine, and rebuild it. This time, with me tuning it from the get go - because again, no one pays attention to our stuff like we do. Not even a "pro" dyno tuner.
I've always been interested in tuning and have HPTuner software but not sure on anything other than logging, reading and writing. I would love to throw some 1,000 cc injectors in the motor and get a C85 tune as I'm not sure the 600cc's will be enough injector and since these ECM's don't have a flex fuel sensor I would be cautious about E85.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:31 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 01CamaroSSTx View Post
Thanks man! I'm gonna go ahead and say that doing this without a lift was a little nerve racking but managed to get it done.
I LOVE MY QUICKLIFTS BEST $1300 bucks I spent!
Old 01-23-2019, 05:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds good...cool to see you stuck it out aftr all that bs. That right there unfortunately has become very normal in hotrodding.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:39 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by rkupon1 View Post
Sounds good...cool to see you stuck it out aftr all that bs. That right there unfortunately has become very normal in hotrodding.
Thanks man I appreciate that!

Yeah it's that kind of **** right there that will turn you into a no mans friend real quick. I trust nobody with my automobile or my parts anymore as a result of that. From this day forward if something fails and I can't fix it then I'm sending it back to the people who built it.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:45 PM
11 Second Club

Not sure if anyone noticed or not but I actually had an o-ring on an injector that wasn't sealing correctly causing a vacuum leak. After spraying some B12 around the fuel rail I quickly located the leak and got that problem resolved so its good to go to the track for a few passes tomorrow.

Search this Thread

About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: