LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Generation IV Internal Engine (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iv-internal-engine-80/)
-   -   LS3 with a cam, change trunion/rocker arms or lifters? (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iv-internal-engine/1912814-ls3-cam-change-trunion-rocker-arms-lifters.html)

Pelven 01-04-2019 04:28 PM

LS3 with a cam, change trunion/rocker arms or lifters?

Bought a cam spec from the cam guru a while back, very happy with it.
Just got a book about LS engines and they kept on repeating about getting a trunion upgrade, but back when I bought it (2012) it was ok too use the stock rocker arms.
Would appreciate some thoughts from you all about the questions below.

LS3: 222/226 .597”/.605” 114LSA +2 advance (with 1.7 ratio rockers)
For my questions.
1. Is it still the recommendation to stay with stock rocker arms or install a trunion kit?
2. if it's a recommendation to do something about the trunion upgrade, would it be better to change rocker arms? if so what brand do you suggest? (longevity is prio)
3. would 1.72:1 rocker arms work on my application? (few more HP doesn't hurt) Thinking about piston clearance.
4. keep the stock lifters?
Car is pumping out 446 rwhp on a manual trans.
Would appreciate your thoughts

G Atsma 01-04-2019 08:53 PM

Stock LS rockers are ALREADY 1.7. .02 more won't do squat worth of difference.
A trunnion kit (bronze bushing style is best so far) is a good idea if there are many miles on the OEM's
If the stock lifters have many miles, go to LS7 lifters; they are pretty much the stock GM replacement now.

99 Black Bird T/A 01-07-2019 08:42 PM

Stock rockers for 164,000 miles and 132,000 miles of thatwith an .581 lift XER 224/224 cam. No trunnion issues. The tips of the rockers worn but otherwise in excellent condition at valve springs change at 152,000 miles.

​​​​​Friend's 98 WS6 had a rocker arm puke needle bearings at ~ 40,000 miles and another failed at 60,000 miles with a stock valve train. He's the only person I've know face to face that had rocker arm issues. Definitely hear a lot about it on the Internet.
Have a 250,000 mile stock 02 Z28, no rocker issues.

Some of it is luck of the draw. As mentioned above the CHE bronze upgrade set seems to be very good. WS6 Store also has a very nice upgrade kit. Used WS6 Store for my 416.

I for replacing LS lifters & trays on cam swaps if the heads are come off. The cam listed above new LS7's should work great. With low mile cars if the heads aren't coming off its a harder question. In 2002 my TA had 32,000 miles I decided to reuse the stock lifters when we did heads & cam. It was a budget decision not an ideal decision. These days with inexpensive LS7 lifters I would would replace and get new LS2 trays.

cmysix 01-15-2019 04:27 AM

roller rockers are the way to go, I'm going to have a set of crane gold race adjustable up for sale soon, studs, push rods and guide plates, dropped my oil temps by 20 degree's