"I MAID THEESE"

Originally Posted by vorteciroc View Post
As of today, it now looks like this...

Why did you paint Inside the motor????
Old 02-26-2019, 11:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mavn View Post
Why did you paint Inside the motor????
I remember back in the day (long... LONG! .ago...) guys did that to help oil drain back, but that was on cast iron with the usual rough finish. Not sure it helps with these smoother aluminum blocks.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by G Atsma View Post
I remember back in the day (long... LONG! .ago...) guys did that to help oil drain back, but that was on cast iron with the usual rough finish. Not sure it helps with these smoother aluminum blocks.
I also recall the same thing in a number of engines (admittedly a couple of those were mine). I was told it was to "seal" the fine grit/debris from blasting, machining and honing.

There really is no good reason to do it today. All it is going to do is flake off after a short amount of time and end up in your oil filter and/or bearings. It will do absolutely ZERO for oil drain back or performance.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ColeGTO View Post
I also recall the same thing in a number of engines (admittedly a couple of those were mine). I was told it was to "seal" the fine grit/debris from blasting, machining and honing.

There really is no good reason to do it today. All it is going to do is flake off after a short amount of time and end up in your oil filter and/or bearings. It will do absolutely ZERO for oil drain back or performance.
^^^^ I have to agree. LS aluminum especially is smoother, and have no issues with drainback. Not sure it did any good back in the day either.
Old 02-26-2019, 07:44 PM
On The Tree

What you see is "Glyptal", not just paint... And I have been applying it to hundreds of engines over the years.

After thorough cleaning... The "Glyptal" is brushed on and then cured in an industrial oven. I have NEVER had it flake off of an engine. It lasts forever if applied correctly.

I apply it to any heads and cylinder blocks that I assemble, as long as they are not machined from Billet.

It should be applied anywhere oil will drain, the speed in which oil returns will be accelerated.

The C6 Vette oil pan I purchased for this engine only holds 5.5 quarts...

I do not want most of the oil staying up top. Which these engines tend to do especially with a high pressure and/ or high volume pump.

Aluminum is very porous... So I used it to seal the block and heads. Other wise oil seeps into the aluminum. It also helps some with drain-back.

Note: Do Not apply it to any machined or smooth surface... Adhesion will not be adequate.

Going back to the questions in my last post...

Any recommendations on Heads and are many of you running a SQUARE engine (4" bore X 4" stroke) ???

Last edited by vorteciroc; 02-27-2019 at 02:20 PM.
Old 02-27-2019, 07:22 AM
Teching In

VortecIroc, and to everyone else looking at junkyard or pullout engines, this guide seems to be spot on and has tons of information.

How to Identify and LS - Summit Racing
Old 02-27-2019, 01:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SeanDjurka View Post
VortecIroc, and to everyone else looking at junkyard or pullout engines, this guide seems to be spot on and has tons of information.

How to Identify and LS - Summit Racing
Thank you :-)
Old 02-27-2019, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by vorteciroc View Post
What you see is "Glyptal", not just paint... And I have been applying it to hundreds of engines over the years.

The "Glyptal" is brushed on and then cured in an industrial oven. I have NEVER had it flake off of an engine. It lasts forever if applied correctly.

I apply it to any heads and cylinder blocks that I assemble, as long as they are not a Billet casting.

It should be applied anywhere oil will drain, speed in which oil returns is accelerated.

The C6 Vette oil pan I purchased for this engine only holds 5.5 quarts...

I do not want most of the oil staying up top. Which these engines tend to do especially with a high pressure and/ or high volume pump.

Aluminum is very porous... So I used it to seal the block or heads. Other wise oil seeps into the aluminum. It also helps some with drain-back.

Note: Do Not apply it to any machined or smooth surface... Adhesion will not be adequate.

Going back to the questions in my last post...

Any recommendations on Heads and are many of you running a SQUARE engine (4" bore X 4" stroke) ???
How hot does Glyptal have. to bake?
Old 02-27-2019, 01:59 PM
On The Tree

Curing time will vary depending on material and size of the object.

The aluminum engines usually go in the oven for about 1.5 to 2.0 hours at 250.00*F.
Old 02-27-2019, 02:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks,, I have another use for it got to do some research!

Search this Thread

About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: