Ls2 going for 700hp opinions/help!!!! - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Notices
Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Ls2 going for 700hp opinions/help!!!!

Old 03-07-2019, 12:17 AM

Default Ls2 going for 700hp opinions/help!!!!

Hey everyone Iím just about to start a build with an LS2 this time and to be honest Iím in troubled waters because Iíve never had anything to do with them other then the occasional oil change for a friend . All Iíve worked out at this stage is I want to use the Trex Cam an LS2 Block and keep it N/A also I want to make 700HP At the flywheel 👍🏻 At the wheel would be nicer but letís be realistic 😂 . My thoughts are keep it simple stupid but I donít know how achievable this dream of mine is . Iíll be doing all the work myself minus machining and Dyno tuning and I fully expect it to cost me 15-20k So if anyone has any thoughts as to what parts I should use please let me know as I want to build it to last so wonít be cheaping out on crap parts . Iím all ears
Old 03-07-2019, 01:27 AM
On The Tree

stock 6.0
Compression 12.1 - 13.2
LLSR cam 7000 -7500 rpm
4500 TB + ewp, vac. pump, stepped header, crank scraper with windage tray . Any head style flowing over 350 cfm with bore used = stock ported ls3 heads. Entire key to power is supply and demand. Things in motion tend to what? If 353cfm is seen without a intake don't be the person to place a ported 310 cfm intake on. Real smart. The Ls3 intake test engine with the parts listed or look around here.
Good update of this would need less compression and rpm to make 700.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...-8000-e85.html

Update
Add missing spec's not listed-used, from list above.
https://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/s...d.php?t=449281

New Ls oil pump for higher RPM?
https://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/s....php?t=2548775
https://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/s....php?t=2552475

Last edited by Smokey B; 03-07-2019 at 08:04 AM.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:34 AM
Staging Lane

I think you need to give us some detail on what car and what are you doing with the car (track, street etc). Are you a pump gas kind of guy? Is this a 4,000 pound car or a 3,200 pound corvette? Is it a stick or an auto? If this is a street car cubic inches are your friend and would go with a sleeved LS2 or LS3 or whatever to get you in the 427-454 cubic inch area. Heads LS3, LS7 ported or even some aftermarket head - a $15-$20 K budget can go far. Another thing - oil changes versus assembling motors are two very different skill sets make sure if you do it yourself have someone to assist that knows these motors. Another idea would be to buy a new short block and then do the heads / other yourself. Anyway give us some more detail and good luck with project. I am over in the Chevelle Forum and I see countless projects started that were too much only to be still nowhere 10 years later because they took on too much. Keep it simple and if you need to farm some of the stuff out to get it done on time and correct do it - you have a good budget.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

700 N/A is a fun goal, and several on here including myself have done it. But to be honest, it will cost you way more than you think, and won’t drive like your neighbors Prius either. Throw a turbo or a centrifugal on a long block, and save your self $15k and a lot of headache.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:42 AM
Staging Lane

I agree with Che70velle above on the drivabilty but a blower will still cost some money and plumbing to provide a reliable 700 flywheel hp. The blower car will have good drivability and low end torque. That being said with that kind of power other things need to be addressed and a stock clutch and/or auto trans will need to be looked at also. As I mentioned above really need some more detail on what you are doing to get a final answer that works for you.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

You need boost in your life. Will drive better, have a better area under the curve, and won't cost that much more. The more power you want NA the more expensive it gets quick. No worry of 102mm this or that and $xxxx heads. 60lb injectors and a fuel pump will handle 700whp on an otherwise stock fuel system.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:43 AM
"I MAID THEESE"

turbo a 4.8 or a 5.3. /DONE
Old 03-08-2019, 11:10 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Ls2Dreamer View Post
Hey everyone I’m just about to start a build with an LS2 this time and to be honest I’m in troubled waters because I’ve never had anything to do with them other then the occasional oil change for a friend . All I’ve worked out at this stage is I want to use the Trex Cam an LS2 Block and keep it N/A also I want to make 700HP At the flywheel ���� At the wheel would be nicer but let’s be realistic �� . My thoughts are keep it simple stupid but I don’t know how achievable this dream of mine is . I’ll be doing all the work myself minus machining and Dyno tuning and I fully expect it to cost me 15-20k So if anyone has any thoughts as to what parts I should use please let me know as I want to build it to last so won’t be cheaping out on crap parts . I’m all ears
700whp N/A?

Not to be a downer, but your budget of $15-20k would be just *barely* enough for the engine alone - you'd still need an *additional* $5-10k for drive line upgrades to even support that kind of power. If you're not looking for a complicated answer:

Up your budget to $35k when all is said and done if you want to do this purely N/A.
Old 03-08-2019, 02:27 PM
Teching In

$30k is a good number and right about where I am at after supporting mods, etc... when all said and done.
This is where I am at with highly reputable shop and just for your reference.
Doing the labor will save you maybe $5k or so (I would guess).

$30-$35k = handing the car over with a blank check and having the engine built from scratch with everything top shelf, then adding Cooling, Clutch, Torque Tube,Tuning, Fluids, Dyno, Engine assembly (and includes all the labor).
Old 03-08-2019, 03:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Built 5.3 from a vendor $4k
Fuel system for 700whp $1k
Turbo/blower kit of your choice......$7k- even cheaper if used- theres a twin turbo kit for sale in the Marketplace now for $3k
Rearend $3k
Suspension $2k
Misc $3k
---------------------------------
$20k and I was being VERY generous with some of the numbers as it can be done MUCH cheaper. Some are against the junkyard build style or chinese parts, which is their prerogative, but you could make 700whp for less than half the total I listed and be plenty reliable for a street car.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:34 PM
On The Tree

You guys are correct on NA cost trust me. Was NA tripping. Hate F.I. but you guy are right.

Search this Thread

About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: