LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Generation IV Internal Engine (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iv-internal-engine-80/)
-   -   2011 6.2 Escalade and oil pressure probs (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iv-internal-engine/1916518-2011-6-2-escalade-oil-pressure-probs.html)

LS1 pwrd NOVA 03-08-2019 06:33 PM

2011 6.2 Escalade and oil pressure probs

I bought this Escalade used with 111k miles. It’s all stock with VVT & DOD.
When I bought it, the guy said it showed low oil pressure, it would go into the single digits.
Before I changed the oil, as it was black, it had 30 psi cold and I warmed it up a bit to change the oil.
changed the oil and it was high 20s but warm, not cold.
I let it idle and after a warm up, low 20s I rev it up high 20s maybe low 30s
I drove it around and it may go into the low 30s.
I drove it hard and up to 4-5k rpms and it’ll only be in the 30s.
So how fukd am I with this engine? I don’t think it’s the sensor as I thought they either work or don’t work.
Or am I ok, as it’s a daily, to not rev it over 3k rpms?
Or will it slowly just mess up?
Need some solid input on this engine.

Che70velle 03-08-2019 07:11 PM

Did you inspect the oil filter element? That’s my first step here. It will tell you how your bearings look. Second, I’d throw a sensor at it, if filter is clean. They can be off marginally. Is the engine quiet, meaning no mechanical sounding hints of issues?

ramairws6 03-08-2019 07:21 PM

I would put a good filter on it for starters like stated. Also it's quite common on the 6.0 and 6.2's that the oem cam bearings go....

FormulaBoat 03-08-2019 07:59 PM

My guess would be that one of the several oil pressure relief valves are stuck open or partially. I’d change the oil and substitute 2-3 quarts of trans fluid in an attempt to clean/free it.

I have used this to quiet ticking lifters on cold start, as well as free up a relief valve stuck closed, successfully both times.

Nearly free shot at a resolution. Spun cam bearing could also be, as mentioned.

You can sub in a mechanical test gauge on a hose during the sensor swap.

LS1 pwrd NOVA 03-08-2019 08:09 PM

No I did not inspect the filter element and it’s gone. Trash pikd it up.
Engine is quiet, no noise at all.
Which is a good filter? I have an acdelco pf48e on it.
is that the only way to fix the relief valve and where are they located?
The tranny fluid I’ve never heard of before.
Yeah if I take the sensor off, I will put a mechanical gauge on it 1st.
‘I have one on my ls swapped car.

FormulaBoat 03-08-2019 08:32 PM

One relief valve is on the oil pump itself. Second one is threaded into the oil pan on the inside. There may even be a third, I would have to check.

warriorpluto 03-24-2019 10:20 PM

Start by changing the oil pump oring. Had that happen on my friends escalade last month. Oil pressure low while cruising. Its supposed to be atleast 40+ at cruising. No matter how hot the oil is. We changed the oring and all is well. His mileage was 165k

Steve01SS 03-25-2019 06:24 PM

On many trucks, there is a screen filter under the oil pressure sender. Do a search, when you remove the sender you can pull it out. They can get trash in them or clogged up causing low oil pressure. I have seen this especially if the oil isn't changed frequently

Jimbo1367 04-12-2019 04:42 AM

This

I would try this first

Originally Posted by Steve01SS (Post 20069598)
On many trucks, there is a screen filter under the oil pressure sender. Do a search, when you remove the sender you can pull it out. They can get trash in them or clogged up causing low oil pressure. I have seen this especially if the oil isn't changed frequently

Jimbo1367 04-12-2019 04:44 AM

O sounds could be a good thing. Maybe it’s something simple