Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Frankenstein F310 LS3 heads!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 04:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by bortous
Great looking heads and they are a work of it but the money spent is not really worth it.
You can CNC a set of LS3 heads and they will make identical power and cost you a 1/3.
Will also hold up for the majority of applications.
I have sps ported ls3 heads . Nice heads but no where near this level of art. Some day I plan to try these heads in place of my heads. Have you tested to verify your claim?
Old 03-17-2019, 04:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by AINT SKEERED
......Have you tested to verify your claim?
+1....inquiring minds want to know.

KW
Old 03-17-2019, 07:15 PM
Banned

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

Better valve angle than a cheap factory head. Sound just like the Ls3 head test where mast heads with a dedicated casting & better valve angles clearly won.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:18 PM
Banned

I just want valve lengths for Chris's ls3 & 7 heads
Old 03-17-2019, 08:21 PM
Launching!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 62nalide
On my way there, I'll ask if I can share details yet. If so I'll share what I can.
Don't suppose you are able to share any of that 3rd party dyno testing data which you have seen? I'm really curious to see some results from a combination using these heads...
Old 03-18-2019, 08:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Great looking heads and they are a work of it but the money spent is not really worth it.
You can CNC a set of LS3 heads and they will make identical power and cost you a 1/3.
Will also hold up for the majority of applications.
Definitely worth the money, no factory casting will do what these are going. Now if you are in a budget then yes these aren't for that person with limited funds.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:41 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by carbuff
Don't suppose you are able to share any of that 3rd party dyno testing data which you have seen? I'm really curious to see some results from a combination using these heads...
Just came back from TX2K where the 1st set has been getting beat on 3 days back to back. The gains are there lol how the LSA truck ran.
The following users liked this post:
v8sten (12-31-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 08:43 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Floorman279
whats the idea behind the valve seats....
Like mentioned above, Ti valves and an option vs steel seats.
Old 03-26-2019, 03:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 461 Likes on 358 Posts

I have sps ported ls3 heads . Nice heads but no where near this level of art. Some day I plan to try these heads in place of my heads. Have you tested to verify your claim?
Not me but my tuner has.
He has fitted everything from Mast Motorsport black label heads, AFR Mongoose, Trickflow etc.
He laughs when his customers spend all those thousands of dollars on those expensive heads when they don't make much more power than a set of CNC ported castings.
Down here in Australia, we have state of the art small bore LS7 heads that rival or exceed the low lift flow rates of the best cathedral heads out there.
These heads have super strong low and mid range torque and in the top end they are unmatched..
They feature a 3/4 thick deck for high boost levels and there are 4 and 6 bolt mains versions.
They are half the cost, are made with the same aluminium alloy, and make more power.
I would even go as far to say they are one of the best heads on the planet.
If i build another engine I will definitely use these this time.
There is also a big bore version ls7 head coming out I think next year which is expected to break records for flow and power potential.
Old 03-26-2019, 05:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,432 Likes on 992 Posts

Sweet looking cylinder heads by Frankenstein I'm sure in the right application they will perform nicely

On Soapbox,

I try to avoid throwing shade and be nice on LS1Tech, generally speaking, however I have to give my .02 on something... Lot's of tuners or tooners lack talent and skill. Often some of them say all sorts of stupid things. Frequently contradicting themselves from one conversion to the next. I never take anything tooners say as proof of anything. Often the tuner really has no details what parts are used or if it's a well planned fully optimized engine build.

Many of the plastic intake manifolds have a tendency to "equalizing" cylinder head because those manifolds will only flow so much air. They become basically restrictor plates.

Shops that do engine builds and tune are a different story. They often have a much more accurate picture of what works and what doesn't. Dyno testing in controlled situations can give an accurate account for the most part of what makes more power doing A to B testing.

I've seen shops that really are in the know do ten dyno pulls on the same part and average the results to get a very accurate picture of what a part is really worth vs another part tested the same way. It's a brutal, demanding and expensive test procedure. There are client's happily pay for that level of diligence and knowledge because you know they like to win in their respective class

Folks often fail to realize that select top shops often really want the top tier customer that averages a minimum yearly income of $ 300,000 + a year. Think in terms of $150,000 per year of disposable income. To those customers $4000 for good heads? Hell, give me 3 sets got to have them for my back up engines too

...and don't kid yourself the minimum number to really race competitively could be a ~ $500,000 minimum income or more...depending on the type of companies.

In some types of motorsports ever hp counts so it's hard to say how much expense is too much for a given gain in hp.

With that said a set of $4,000 heads are definitely out of my budget for my daily drivers Now a $2,000 set of heads is an entirely different story.

That's the great thing about LS engines there are outstanding cylinder heads by GM, ported factory castings, and the aftermarket for practically every application and budget

Off soap box

To the OP, man enjoy those heads! They are a work of art. Wish I could pick up a set too!

Last edited by 99 Black Bird T/A; 03-26-2019 at 05:41 AM.
Old 03-26-2019, 01:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
Sweet looking cylinder heads by Frankenstein I'm sure in the right application they will perform nicely

On Soapbox,

I try to avoid throwing shade and be nice on LS1Tech, generally speaking, however I have to give my .02 on something... Lot's of tuners or tooners lack talent and skill. Often some of them say all sorts of stupid things. Frequently contradicting themselves from one conversion to the next. I never take anything tooners say as proof of anything. Often the tuner really has no details what parts are used or if it's a well planned fully optimized engine build.

Many of the plastic intake manifolds have a tendency to "equalizing" cylinder head because those manifolds will only flow so much air. They become basically restrictor plates.

Shops that do engine builds and tune are a different story. They often have a much more accurate picture of what works and what doesn't. Dyno testing in controlled situations can give an accurate account for the most part of what makes more power doing A to B testing.

I've seen shops that really are in the know do ten dyno pulls on the same part and average the results to get a very accurate picture of what a part is really worth vs another part tested the same way. It's a brutal, demanding and expensive test procedure. There are client's happily pay for that level of diligence and knowledge because you know they like to win in their respective class

Folks often fail to realize that select top shops often really want the top tier customer that averages a minimum yearly income of $ 300,000 + a year. Think in terms of $150,000 per year of disposable income. To those customers $4000 for good heads? Hell, give me 3 sets got to have them for my back up engines too

...and don't kid yourself the minimum number to really race competitively could be a ~ $500,000 minimum income or more...depending on the type of companies.

In some types of motorsports ever hp counts so it's hard to say how much expense is too much for a given gain in hp.

With that said a set of $4,000 heads are definitely out of my budget for my daily drivers Now a $2,000 set of heads is an entirely different story.

That's the great thing about LS engines there are outstanding cylinder heads by GM, ported factory castings, and the aftermarket for practically every application and budget

Off soap box

To the OP, man enjoy those heads! They are a work of art. Wish I could pick up a set too!
Well stated
Old 03-26-2019, 02:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

The attention to detail on those is phenomenal. The o ringed exhaust ports and o ringed valve cover gaskets are a really nice touch, they even drilled access holes to dig out the o ring. Every hole on the sealing surface is nicely chamfered etc.. There's plenty of reasons those heads cost what they do and I applaud Frankenstein for bringing a new level to the game.

I'll agree you can likely get 80-90% of the power for 50% of the cost. But the market that these heads are for aren't for those guys that want that 80-90% for 50%, and Frankenstein isn't focused on those folks. The people that complain about these heads aren't the people that will be buying them. I do not have the bank account for heads like these, but you won't see me bitching about them either. Be like me bitching about lambo prices. The people that can afford them don't care about what they cost. And those people are Lambo's focus, not us. I personally don't care, they don't owe me anything.

Thanks for sharing pics OP, I've been wanting to see more detailed shots of those heads. At this point I'd just love to have anything by Frankenstein on one of my vehicles.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:22 AM
TECH Addict

There is more options for sure some that are looking for best bang for the buck will not want to look this way. In my personal opinion I've always liked what FED has produced over the years and these New F-Series are in house U.S. made is what gets me even more excited and bought 2 sets I will share what my builds and out come.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:31 AM
TECH Addict

Not me but my tuner has.
He has fitted everything from Mast Motorsport black label heads, AFR Mongoose, Trickflow etc.
He laughs when his customers spend all those thousands of dollars on those expensive heads when they don't make much more power than a set of CNC ported castings.
Down here in Australia, we have state of the art small bore LS7 heads that rival or exceed the low lift flow rates of the best cathedral heads out there.
These heads have super strong low and mid range torque and in the top end they are unmatched..
They feature a 3/4 thick deck for high boost levels and there are 4 and 6 bolt mains versions.
They are half the cost, are made with the same aluminium alloy, and make more power.
I would even go as far to say they are one of the best heads on the planet.
If i build another engine I will definitely use these this time.
There is also a big bore version ls7 head coming out I think next year which is expected to break records for flow and power potential.
I personally don't mind spending extra money for American made products again that's just the type of person I am, I'm pretty close to one of the guys that work there if you like to put that "State of the art small bore LS7 head" against there LS3s and LS7s 3rd party testing if you claim they make more power for half the cost. Are you interested in testing that? Bold statement when someone says Best heads on the plant... I can make something happen
Old 03-27-2019, 09:32 AM
TECH Addict

I have a trip planned to in 2 days and will take more pics and if they allow me I will take some videos as well.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:55 AM
TECH Junkie

I'd like to see this test
Old 03-27-2019, 07:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

I'd like to see this test
Somebody would have to travel like 8,500 miles to make that happen!
KW
Old 04-01-2019, 05:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 734 Likes on 400 Posts

Cliffnotes=haters gunna hate!
These heads are a work of art
Old 04-01-2019, 01:46 PM
Banned

Chris took the best of all aspects looked at and incorporated it into these heads. Ain't no land down under who has what's being done here buddy. Name the company? Higgins? 1 small company made a small bore ls7 head if I'm not mistaken. Nothing spectacular trust me. Called and talked with Tim and Martin @ FED. Chris was busy. . I'm the guy wanting a Porter's set... they said maybe 2 yrs. I know I can get them..btw. Was told to use the f310 ls3 head. Told them I don't use ls3 intakes. LMAO. I make heads I don't buy them.

Best standard port Ls head layout available!

Last edited by Smokey B; 04-01-2019 at 02:39 PM.
Old 04-01-2019, 01:55 PM
Banned

Add to that the F310 ls3 head out performed the mast 305 head on a 427 na.