Did i ruin my piston? - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Notices
Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Did i ruin my piston?

Old 03-14-2019, 04:11 PM
Teching In

Default Did i ruin my piston?

ok, so what i have here is a 180k LC9 gen 4 5.3, i picked up an on3 performance 78/75 turbo to punish it with, thus is a super budget build, as its going in my 1974 gmc 3/4 ton truck i only drive in the summer, and shes real hard on the eyes haha. i am hoping to get 1-2 summers out of this motor before getting a better condition 6.0 for it

so i pulled the motor apart to look at everything and do a dod delete, the bearings look good, the pistons and cylinders are what id call ok, to do the rebuild right, it should be bored and new pistons, but i don't want to. so i was cleaning up the pistons and gapping the rings for the turbo. so i decided to put some degreaser in my lil 2 gallon bucket and fill it up just enough to cover the piston, i forgot about it and left it in for approx 1.5 days, pulled it out, its pretty clean...however it looks like it degreased off the piston skirt coating? its wd-40 brand degreaser and says its safe for aluminum. at about 700$ for oversized pistons and machine work, i might either track down another one or just buy an oem style standard bore set of pistons, the ones i found on summit are approx 350$ or just run it and see what she does

Old 03-14-2019, 04:43 PM
Teching In

Forgot to say, I am wondering if its ruined as it looks like it stripped the coating off the piston skirts
Old 03-14-2019, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

There’s some pretty significant wear on the skirt, that outweighs the fact that the coating is gone. The coating is there basically as a sound reducer in the Oem form. If your comfortable with the engine being a little noisy from skirt wear, and your on a tight budget...run it. Ring seal is everything, so maybe consider new rings and a quick dingleberry hone.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:58 PM
Staging Lane

The coating was worn off of the critical area anyway. It would run fine without it now that clearances are larger. If you are stressing over it, yes buy one piston off eBay, but it may be worn off in the same area. Alternatively, there are companies that can re-coat them if you truly want it back to stock, but it sounds like you are going budget basement, so just run it, it will be same as it was.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Che70velle View Post
There’s some pretty significant wear on the skirt, that outweighs the fact that the coating is gone. The coating is there basically as a sound reducer in the Oem form. If your comfortable with the engine being a little noisy from skirt wear, and your on a tight budget...run it. Ring seal is everything, so maybe consider new rings and a quick dingleberry hone.
that makes sense, i might see if i can find a good set of rings and throw them on, i had thought of that, but wasnt sure if that might not be the best for something with that many miles? or maybe its what it needs. recommendation on what kind of rings to use for a turbo application?

thanks
Old 03-14-2019, 07:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FormulaBoat View Post
The coating was worn off of the critical area anyway. It would run fine without it now that clearances are larger. If you are stressing over it, yes buy one piston off eBay, but it may be worn off in the same area. Alternatively, there are companies that can re-coat them if you truly want it back to stock, but it sounds like you are going budget basement, so just run it, it will be same as it was.
not stressing, i was just surprised it ate the graphite coating off of it, and yeah, the cheaper the better, it was more of a if its not going to work at all type thing
Old 03-14-2019, 08:22 PM
Teching In

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-136sm8531005

i got on summit and found these, steel top ring with plasma moly coating, 2nd is ductile iron, its what they recommended for my application. any opinions?
Old 03-14-2019, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mike907 View Post
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-136sm8531005

i got on summit and found these, steel top ring with plasma moly coating, 2nd is ductile iron, its what they recommended for my application. any opinions?
They are file fit, which is good since you’d want to custom gap for boost. Can you find a set of Sealed Power? I like their rings. Summit brand is prolly ok, but that’s why they suggested them...
You sure you need a 1.5 1.5 3.0? This re-ring and dingleberry touch-hone was just a suggestion. Not trying to spend your money. Sealed Power will likely be cheaper than $99...
Old 03-14-2019, 08:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Che70velle View Post

They are file fit, which is good since you’d want to custom gap for boost. Can you find a set of Sealed Power? I like their rings. Summit brand is prolly ok, but that’s why they suggested them...
You sure you need a 1.5 1.5 3.0? This re-ring and dingleberry touch-hone was just a suggestion. Not trying to spend your money. Sealed Power will likely be cheaper than $99...
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/slp-e-937k/overview/

those are the sealed power ones, they are only 8$ cheaper than the summit and not a steel top ring. i am on a tight budget because i want to be, if it were a 6.0 i would probably just do it right. but this 5.3 came to me pretty cheap, as did the turbo and manifold. just trying to keep it lo buck and put some power down.

i was considering the re ring anyways, but i am used to having the block machined etc new pistons rings and all that also

i have never rebuilt an ls motor
i have never built anything for a turbo
i have never tried to build it cheap

so im kind of winging it
Old 03-15-2019, 04:18 PM
Teching In

I mic'd the rings, they are 1.5/1.5/3.0, the top ring is more like 1.47mm so probably got a little wear on it

Search this Thread

About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: