Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Rumors, Lies, and Gossip: Morel Knockoffs

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
Can use an OEM oil pump with the Johnsons and they don't break. If I recall the COPO Camaros are required to use an OEM style oil pump and they picked the Johnson lifters to run in that engine to 8000RPM. So for a street/strip engine with a stock style pump the Johnsons work great and don't require the expense of an external pump, WIN WIN! Plus comparing the NASCAR stuff to bottom shelf drop-ins is kind of laughable in its own regard but you do what you have to.
NHRA approved solid roller lifters for the COPO's either last year or the year before. The NASCAR Spec Engine runs LS Drop in hyd roller lifters. They currently run the OEM Delphi's.
Old 04-05-2019, 02:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 991 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS
The hell it can’t. What do you all want me to change it to? Keep it clean...
The title should be "Morel Lifter Failure Rumor Proved False. Counterfeit Lifters Failed"

Or

"MORALe of story: Counterfeit Lifters Failed, Not Morel"

Or similar

Last edited by 99 Black Bird T/A; 04-05-2019 at 03:04 PM.
Old 04-05-2019, 04:25 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Hodgdon Extreme
The OEM delphi lifter bodies and plungers are cold forged from 1018 wire. In the case of the older non-rollers, the "foot" is a special alloy casting that can be made really, really hard during heat treat.
Please see straubs reply above. I knew the similarities were too close to be coincidental.
Old 04-05-2019, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 469 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by Cstraub
Correct. Any of the street series Morels with .700" wheels are a casting that has been machined. All of the .750" wheel stuff is machined from bar stock. What most don't know is that Gear Co has made parts for the OEM's for 75 years. These guys are use to making a million of something that are all correct.

I had David Lewis in here yesterday from Robert Yates Racing. They build the NASCAR LS Spec engine for several series. They have spent millions of dollars developing this platform to get it where it is today. The info we got yesterday on the do's and don'ts were unbelievable. I will share that if your building a high rpm LS engine you SHOULD NOT USE THE OEM OIL PUMP OR AFTERMARKET PUMP BECAUSE OF INHERENT CAVITATION WITH THIS STYLE PUMP. They recommend at least a single stage external pump. What do air bubbles do to hydraulic systems? Cause them not to function properly. What is a burnout.....sustained high rpm burnout that is creating cavitation in the system.
Yes the crank driven oil pump configuration is the biggest issue with the LS engine architecture. Traditional V8's use cam driven oil pumps turning obviously at half the speed of an LS pump. How many 11,000 mechanical flat tappet SBC's were there in the 60's at the drag strip? It was fairly common.
Old 04-05-2019, 04:42 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

I think the real question is what rpm.. Ive seen some nasty stuff with wetsump and drysump crank driven pumps that have lived.

And gm did have a vane style pump iirc. It may have been on the hybrid 6.0s. Ill have to check that out.

I know the LT stuff loses presssure in the higher rpms but it works just like a trans pump so the main issue there is the vane ring deflection or bypass spring.

Time to call up Trans Go for some NoYoYo hardened steel pump rings ;-)
Old 04-05-2019, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Cstraub
Correct. Any of the street series Morels with .700" wheels are a casting that has been machined. All of the .750" wheel stuff is machined from bar stock. What most don't know is that Gear Co has made parts for the OEM's for 75 years. These guys are use to making a million of something that are all correct.
Useful info, thanks. So would you say that the drop in / street lifters are comparable in quality from Morel/GearCo and Delphi?
Old 04-06-2019, 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
I think the real question is what rpm.. Ive seen some nasty stuff with wetsump and drysump crank driven pumps that have lived.

And gm did have a vane style pump iirc. It may have been on the hybrid 6.0s. Ill have to check that out.

I know the LT stuff loses presssure in the higher rpms but it works just like a trans pump so the main issue there is the vane ring deflection or bypass spring.

David was on "open" book of knowledge when he was here on Thursday. He has a busy weekend here at Bristol but I ask more questions and what data I can share I will with customers or on forums freely. The most important thing to me is that this industry continues.
Old 04-06-2019, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by patSS/00
Useful info, thanks. So would you say that the drop in / street lifters are comparable in quality from Morel/GearCo and Delphi?
No matter if it is a street series lifter going in a weekend ground pounder or a set going to Hendrick Motorsports for a Cup engine, same QC department. Again the "Data" shows there is minimal issue with the lifters. The issues are mostly ego driven. Again you can't call up GM and buy direct. They have a dealer network. Morel has supported the OEM auto industry for decades. They have a dealer network.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (03-31-2023)
Old 04-06-2019, 12:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 461 Likes on 358 Posts

I'm surprised this thread has so many responses.
I'm glad I started this and read everyone's take on it.
Since the beginning of this thread I have done a lot of research also.
My thoughts on Morel are more positive than what they were originally.
However, I ended up purchasing a set of the all new Isky HPX silver series hydraulic lifters which are short travel, lighter weight and can rev to 7500rpm.
The most important feature for me is that they are run quiet and don't tick, and don't require light oil to lubricate properly.
Isky said you can run up to a 20w 50 oil with no issues.
Hardly anyone has used these as they have only been out for a bit over a year. I can't find much information in the forums about anyone using them yet.
I was also speaking to my tuner about lifters.
He recently fitted a set of Johnson Lifters to a stroker engine and the tie bars were hitting the block.
After much research these were Johnson knock offs that the customer had purchased and given to him.
The knock off's are notorious for coming up short.
I found this out for myself and also from Isky themselves when I called them up and queried my findings.
The authentic Johnson Lifters company is in Taylor Michigan.
It is with Johnson that Isky teamed up to build these new HPX lifters too.
I had a look at their catalogue and according to Isky these are the best hydraulic roller lifters in the world with the most advanced design.
Might be marketing fluff but I wouldn't know how to compare them to others.
Has anyone tried those new HPX lifters?
If so what are your thoughts?
Old 04-06-2019, 12:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 461 Likes on 358 Posts

After reading a lot of the responses, I would definitely use the morel lifters again.
So this clarifies those other two companies I was dealing with were just talking **** about Morel.
It makes sense that they could not buy directly and probably got pissed off and started hating.
I forgot to mention that one of the vendors was replacing the morels with new lifters called GS.
Has anybody heard of these and are they any good?
Old 03-31-2023, 06:16 AM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

A little bit of an old thread but I will add another log to the fire.

Purchased a set of Summit Racing branded Morel 7717 drop in lifters (unknown manufacture date). Installed in my Eforce LS3 GS a year ago along with a stock GM ZR1 cam. By no means an extreme build.

Nearly exactly one year later, I have a lifter bearing on one of these Morel's that is going out. Squeaking/squealing when hitting about 2500 RPM's. Eliminated all other possible causes.

I am putting in a set of Johnson 2110R's.

Maybe I got a bad set from Morel. Maybe I got a knock off set. Or maybe the rumors are true and Morel is using a Chinese supplier to meet demand. Regardless, I won't ever use Morel's again.
The following 2 users liked this post by 140K_GXP:
DualQuadDave (04-01-2023), G Atsma (03-31-2023)
Old 03-31-2023, 04:01 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by 140K_GXP

Purchased a set of Summit Racing branded Morel 7717 drop in lifters (unknown manufacture date). Installed in my Eforce LS3 GS a year ago along with a stock GM ZR1 cam. By no means an extreme build.

Nearly exactly one year later, I have a lifter bearing on one of these Morel's that is going out. Squeaking/squealing when hitting about 2500 RPM's. Eliminated all other possible causes.

Maybe I got a bad set from Morel. Maybe I got a knock off set. Or maybe the rumors are true and Morel is using a Chinese supplier to meet demand. Regardless, I won't ever use Morel's again.
Morel makes nearly everything in their city sized facility. They even heat treat on premises also.

A year of running them then a failure could be one of many issues not even attributable to the lifter itself though.
G Atsma (03-31-2023)
Old 04-01-2023, 05:41 AM
Staging Lane

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 140K_GXP

..... Pics of the bad lifter ? Or is it still in the engine and your diagnosis is merely speculation ? I find it extremely hard to believe that a lifter could squeak/squeal audibly without having ground the cam lobe to a nub .
The following 2 users liked this post by C409:
DualQuadDave (04-01-2023), hiltsy855 (04-01-2023)
Old 04-01-2023, 10:01 AM
ModSquad

Received 3,361 Likes on 2,079 Posts

Originally Posted by C409
..... Pics of the bad lifter ? Or is it still in the engine and your diagnosis is merely speculation ? I find it extremely hard to believe that a lifter could squeak/squeal audibly without having ground the cam lobe to a nub .
Agreed. 140k, cut your oil filter open. If it’s squealing, you’ve got metal in the filter. Hopefully it’s a front accessory bearing or something out there.
MySons68C20 (04-02-2023)
Old 04-10-2023, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Summit's I know with 100% certainty are real Morels. I can also state that the data on returns of the Morel 7717 shipped in the last 3 years...thousands of sets, the issues are under 2%. For the automotive performance engine aftermarket...that is excellent.
G Atsma (04-10-2023)
Old 04-13-2023, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 945 Likes on 674 Posts

For searrch purposes, i think the title of this thread should be changed. Just like Google Page 2 doesn't exist, everyone searching would just see the title and draw their own conclusions.

Mr Straub in with the facts! But dont tell the turbo guys 20/50 isnt cool ;-)

Ive used and sold nearly all the styles of morel and had 0 issue. Ive heard some people set the reg cast body style light on the preload and some heavy and still no issue.

I think the largest issue is lack of actual info on them on one site. Like the johncallies site. I mean you get some info and actual pictures but no preload info which is what most have issue with. Im sure Straub loses count of the lifter preload calls he gets weekly.

Some people, and not just suppliers/vendors, but actual customers like to order directly from a company. They seriously get upset over not being able to do it and wont purchase. Thats understandable but also kind of narrowminded.

The knock offs are getting ridiculous. I know Johnson now is lasering their stuff so maybe thats a trend for every company now, who knows.

If you saw the difference in an eaton body and a delphi body for a lifter, you'd know the difference immediately. It appears that morel uses that same body for their 5315/6504 but im not saying thats true, just my observation.

I think the bigger underlying reason is marketing, yotube, and virality.
I'm an old school guy that can remember when Eaton lifters were THE go to hydraulic lifters. They had 3 or 4 plants in Saginaw, Michigan. Two of them one after the other/end to end on the S. side of highway M-46, and another one or two on the N. side of M-46. Including the parking lots, they reached 1/2 mile on both sides of the street. Today, there's nothing but memories and empty fields of weeds and dandelions......
The following 2 users liked this post by grinder11:
DualQuadDave (04-17-2023), G Atsma (04-13-2023)
Old 04-13-2023, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

When the President of Dart was exploring the LS architecture, he stated research disclosed that at 6,500rpm, the LS engines had 18 gallons !!) of oil pumping/flying around inside them, and he was definitely going to address that in their LSNext block, FWIW......
Old 04-15-2023, 10:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 799 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by grinder11
When the President of Dart was exploring the LS architecture, he stated research disclosed that at 6,500rpm, the LS engines had 18 gallons !!) of oil pumping/flying around inside them, and he was definitely going to address that in their LSNext block, FWIW......
I'm confused, how does a LS engine get 18 gallons of oil circulating when the pan only holds 6 or so quarts of oil? Even with an accusump, that's only another quart of oil.
Old 04-15-2023, 10:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

I have a feeling he meant 18 gallons per minute, most of which is cycled a few times within that minute... jus' sayin'....
The following 2 users liked this post by G Atsma:
MySons68C20 (04-15-2023), wannafbody (04-15-2023)
Old 04-16-2023, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by G Atsma
I have a feeling he meant 18 gallons per minute, most of which is cycled a few times within that minute... jus' sayin'....
Thanks, Gary. Left out the minute!! That means your, and my info is "up to the minute accurate. But, the info is accurate. Dart sez that's WAY too much oil flying around inside the engine. I can't argue that.....
G Atsma (04-16-2023)