Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

H'what? 440 build or something

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 10:25 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Default H'what? 440 build or something

I guess I should start a build thread. Still waiting on parts. But I have some.

Let's get to the good stuff... build list:

Engine
HPR Dartoned Sleeved and Machined Gen 4 Block 4.185" Bore w/ARP ARP 234-5608 Main Studs
K1 4340 Forged 4.000" Stroke Crankshaft w/24X Reluctor
K1 4340 Forged 6.125” H-Beam Rods w/ARP2000 Bolts
Wiseco 2618 Forged 4.185" Pistons w/-2.8cc R/Dome (11.9:1 CR)
Wiseco GFX Stainless .047"-.047"-3.0mm Ring Package
Wiseco .200" Wall H-13 Wrist Pins
Clevite H-Series MS2199H Main/CB663HN Rod Bearings
SPS Haymaker LS3 264cc 6-Bolt Cylinder Heads 70cc Chambers
Ferrea 2.125" Intake and 1.60" Exhaust Valves
PAC 1209X Dual Valve Spring Kit w/Ti Retainers
Cam Motion LLR 247/259 .688"/.671" 113.5+4.5 LSA Camshaft
Cam Motion 3/8" Diameter .135" Wall Hardened Chrome-Moly Pushrods
Cam Motion Solid Roller Lifters (Tie Bar Style w/Axle Oiling)
T&D 2455 Shaft Mount 1.7:1 Roller Rocker Arms for SPS Heads
Cometic 4.190" Bore .040" Compressed MLS Head Gaskets
ARP 234-4345 LS Head Stud Kit
Cloyes C5R Roller Billet Adjustable Timing Set w/LS2 Dampener
Melling 10296 HV Oil Pump
Holley 4" Stroke (302-3) Oil Pan w/Improved Racing Trap-Door Baffle
Improved Racing Engine Crank Scraper & Windage Tray
Mezeire Electric Waterpump & SLP 160 Degree Thermostat
BeCool Aluminum Radiator
ATI Super Damper SFI Harmonic Balancer (10% Underdrive)
DeatschWerks Flow-Matched 65bs Injectors & FAST Billet Fuel Rails
Racetronix 340lph Fuel Pump w/Upgraded Wiring Harness & C5 Regulator
Firecore50 Spark Plug Wires & NGK TR6 Spark Plugs
Holley Tall LS Valve Covers & Delphi LS7 Coils
MAD Ported FAST LSXR 102 LS3 Med Runner Intake w/NW 102 TB
FTP 104mm Lid w/4" Silicone Coupler w/Buick GN Air Intake Sensor
American Racing 2" x 3" Stainless Longtube Race Headers w/3" to 4" Catted Y-Pipe
Corsa Cat-Back Exhaust System w/Quad 3.5" Pro-Series Tips & QTP 4" Electric Cutout
Norris Motorsports Billet Aluminum PCV Catch Can
Kurt Urban Vapor Vent System
Hayden Power Steering Cooler
Katech Billet Belt Tensioner & Gates RPM V-Belt

Drivetrain
FTI Triple Clutch 3600 Stall Torque Converter
Hughes HP-4004X SFI Flexplate
FLT Level 6 4L65E Automatic Transmission
B&M 70266 Supercooler Trans Cooler w/-6AN Fittings and Braided Hoses
Driveshaft Shop 3.5" Aluminum Driveshaft w/Sonnax Forged Yoke
Moser 12-Bolt Rearend w/33-Spline TrueTrac & 3.42 Gears

Also going to install new Weld RT-S 18x10 and 18x11 wheels so I can fit the Wilwood 6-Piston 14" Front Brakes and 12.8" 4-Piston Rear Brakes. Also moving to a UMI Tubular Front End setup. I want a well balanced car for the street. Retains A/C. Full stereo. And will be swapping in some Red Braum Elite Sport seats.

And pictures for the things I have so far.

Last edited by JakeFusion; 08-18-2022 at 03:11 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Damn. That thing is going to be more fun than a redheaded bridesmaid.

Nice work.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:52 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Isn’t that oil pump meant for the Dart blocks?
Old 06-12-2019, 11:11 AM
Super Hulk Smash

And the LSX... it has priority main oiling too.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Damn, that's going to be a nice build!! I assume you're going to stay N/A?

I have a very noob question regarding head gasket:

Cometic 4.200" Bore .040" Compressed MLS Head Gaskets

I noticed most go for .040" (heck, even I did) - aside from higher compression with a .036" gasket, is there a reason I don't see many people using a .036" gasket? Anything obvious as to why one wouldn't want to run one of these? On my engine rebuild, I opted for slightly more compression, so I ordered a .036" - now i'm wondering if I should be wary of something.

Don't mean to hi-jack, learning experience.

Thanks,
Andy
Old 06-12-2019, 11:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 461 Likes on 358 Posts

Damn Jake,
That is one crazy build.
I like the parts very much however I have some questions.

1. Why are using an lsx block na?
You have the weight and heat penalty plus I was reading that these blocks don't breathe as well as the aluminium something to do with the valleys or something.
2. Why are you using a GM LS2 water pump?
I changed mine because it wasn't flowing enough on idle and my engine was overheating on hot days.
You will have more heat than me because of your higher power level and the cast iron material of the engine.
3. What heads are you using?
Old 06-12-2019, 11:39 AM
Super Hulk Smash

1) LSX has bay-to-bay breathing. It's built like an LS2/LS7 block. Just iron. If I can find an LS2 block in good shape and get Darton Sleeves in that for less, I'd go that route. The Dart SHP is less but doesn't have the windage stuff the LSX block has. Which is important on an NA higher RPM motor. And I'm not going to dry sump... so. Vacuum pump I may do, but it looks like I'd have to remove the A/C. And no. That's not happening. So, I can get a fully CNC machined LSX block from GM for what I consider to be a good price. And that's what I plan to do. Just needs finish honing.

2) LS2 water pump is where I'm starting. I already have it. I'll see if I have issues. I can always go to a Meziere or something? Would an LS7 pump be better? I don't know. I have the big BeCool radiator now. So I stay around 195 in the summer with the A/C on. Iron will run hotter. As long as it's under 220 I don't much care.

3) SPS Haymakers. 2.165" Ferrea valve option. Flow 400cfm on a 4.150" bore. 11-degree LS3.

Last edited by JakeFusion; 06-12-2019 at 11:46 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:44 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Originally Posted by AndyTA
Damn, that's going to be a nice build!! I assume you're going to stay N/A?

I have a very noob question regarding head gasket:

Cometic 4.200" Bore .040" Compressed MLS Head Gaskets

I noticed most go for .040" (heck, even I did) - aside from higher compression with a .036" gasket, is there a reason I don't see many people using a .036" gasket? Anything obvious as to why one wouldn't want to run one of these? On my engine rebuild, I opted for slightly more compression, so I ordered a .036" - now i'm wondering if I should be wary of something.

Don't mean to hi-jack, learning experience.

Thanks,
Andy
The K1 combo I ordered... the pistons are .005" in the hole @ 9.240" deck. So I could have gone .036" for a .041" quench, but the reverse dome pistons actually slide up into the combustion chamber a tiny bit. So I end up with something closer to a .040" quench pad distance with them with the .040" gasket and .005" in the hole piston. The .036" would have been a little too close, I feel. I'm going for 7500 in this with a fairly heavy piston ~ 500g. I wanted there to be a little more room for error. And I'm still right around that .035-.040" optimal quench area.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 461 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
1) LSX has bay-to-bay breathing. It's built like an LS2/LS7 block. Just iron. If I can find an LS2 block in good shape and get Darton Sleeves in that for less, I'd go that route. The Dart SHP is less but doesn't have the windage stuff the LSX block has. Which is important on an NA higher RPM motor. And I'm not going to dry sump... so. Vacuum pump I may do, but it looks like I'd have to remove the A/C. And no. That's not happening. So, I can get a fully CNC machined LSX block from GM for what I consider to be a good price. And that's what I plan to do. Just needs finish honing.

2) LS2 water pump is where I'm starting. I already have it. I'll see if I have issues. I can always go to a Meziere or something? Would an LS7 pump be better? I don't know. I have the big BeCool radiator now. So I stay around 195 in the summer with the A/C on. Iron will run hotter. As long as it's under 220 I don't much care.

3) SPS Haymakers. 2.165" Ferrea valve option. Flow 400cfm on a 4.150" bore. 11-degree LS3.
I have my doubts with the water pump.
There are a lot of things working against it.
Even with a high end radiator and hi flow thermostat, this was still happening.
It was revealed that it was a problem because during hot days, when the car would idle or be moving slowly in traffic,the temperature would creep up till it got on the red.
As soon as the vehicle was moving and reached around 30-40 mph, the temperature would go all the way down to where it should be which obviously signifies that water pump is not flowing enough when the engine is not spinning at a high enough rpm.
I had to get the mezeire wp319s water pump but the high flow version. It flows 55gpm at all times and doesn't work with engine rpm's.
These are meant to be the best water pumps money can buy.
It is built like a tank,
This should also free up some hp and help the engine rev quicker too.
I also ended up purchasing an oil cooler kit along with an oil thermostat, adapters etc from improved racing. I ended up going for the 20 row cooler.
And I also purchased a power steering cooler kit too

These are all currently being fitted to my engine along with everything else and I will surely write up a detailed report of my thoughts and findings with my engine.
Try the LS2 pump, but don't be surprised if it doesn't work for you.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:51 PM
Teching In

Received 81 Likes on 30 Posts

Looks like a really nice list of parts.

What are your goals for the engine and use for the car? Strip only or is this going to be more tame for street?

Old 06-12-2019, 04:05 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Originally Posted by bortous
I have my doubts with the water pump.
There are a lot of things working against it.
Even with a high end radiator and hi flow thermostat, this was still happening.
It was revealed that it was a problem because during hot days, when the car would idle or be moving slowly in traffic,the temperature would creep up till it got on the red.
As soon as the vehicle was moving and reached around 30-40 mph, the temperature would go all the way down to where it should be which obviously signifies that water pump is not flowing enough when the engine is not spinning at a high enough rpm.
I had to get the mezeire wp319s water pump but the high flow version. It flows 55gpm at all times and doesn't work with engine rpm's.
These are meant to be the best water pumps money can buy.
It is built like a tank,
This should also free up some hp and help the engine rev quicker too.
I also ended up purchasing an oil cooler kit along with an oil thermostat, adapters etc from improved racing. I ended up going for the 20 row cooler.
And I also purchased a power steering cooler kit too

These are all currently being fitted to my engine along with everything else and I will surely write up a detailed report of my thoughts and findings with my engine.
Try the LS2 pump, but don't be surprised if it doesn't work for you.
Those are all good points. I've been thinking of the Mezeire just for the 7-10HP it gives. So, I may go that route.

Originally Posted by Esser
Looks like a really nice list of parts.

What are your goals for the engine and use for the car? Strip only or is this going to be more tame for street?
It'll be a street car that goes to the drag strip once in a while. It has a lot of creature comforts I plan to keep... big stereo, A/C, etc. I don't plan to gut it. I just wanted more power everywhere.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 534 Likes on 382 Posts

Jake, can you breakdown the Kurt Urban Vapor Vent system ?
Old 06-12-2019, 05:48 PM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Likely it is the same as summit kit
Old 06-12-2019, 07:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice parts list! No fooling around.

On that statement you made about a vacuum pump & maybe having to take A/C off for it. A GZ pump will fit with the A/C accumulator there. Just not with the factory accumulator bracket. You must remove that & the accumulator will move enough for the pump to fit. Then as I just made a custom bracket for it to hold it solid. At first the A/C line was contacting VP pulley. As they give no instruction for any of this but you can make it work.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by SoFla01SSLookinstok

On that statement you made about a vacuum pump & maybe having to take A/C off for it. A GZ pump will fit with the A/C accumulator there. Just not with the factory accumulator bracket. You must remove that & the accumulator will move enough for the pump to fit. Then as I just made a custom bracket for it to hold it solid. At first the A/C line was contacting VP pulley. As they give no instruction for any of this but you can make it work.
Have any pictures of how your bracket is? I was looking at the gz pump but didn't want to lose ac.

Jake, solid build man.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:05 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,360 Likes on 2,078 Posts

Bout time you started this thread. No doubt it will be stout. What kind of numbers are you expecting?
Old 06-12-2019, 11:12 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Originally Posted by SoFla01SSLookinstok

That's good to know. If I can get the GZ pump to work then using a 5.3L block and Darton sleeves might be the better setup.

Originally Posted by Che70velle
Bout time you started this thread. No doubt it will be stout. What kind of numbers are you expecting?
On an engine dyno... honestly 700+ is what I'll be aiming for. These heads have done 765 on a 427 with a hydraulic roller for Thompson and a Sniper with less compression. So, the FAST will eat up some, and the cam is smaller (but not by much), but it's a bigger motor with more compression. Combined with a solid roller, which seems to be worth 30HP over equivalent hydraulic profiles typically, and that 750+ feels doable with proper windage control here. So 700 would feel a little underwhelming, and 750 would be awesome.

If I split and say 725... chassis dyno usually shows a 100HP loss. So that would be 625 to the tire through a 6-speed. Sounds about right. Through a fairly efficient converter (96% last I logged it) would put me right at 600 to the tire through the auto.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:18 PM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

750 is very doable for your build.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:23 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Originally Posted by Tuskyz28
Jake, can you breakdown the Kurt Urban Vapor Vent system ?

It's basically just the four steam ports brought to the brick here so it's higher than the radiator. And then as it condenses, it flows downhill. Nice little bracket for use on the FAST intake manifolds to tie it all together.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Sorry for delay.

Quick Reply: H'what? 440 build or something