Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Cam Lift vs duration

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2020, 12:37 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 106 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by blueracer15
Thanks Steve i have played around with the calculator to review Cam timing events which have given me more of an understanding.
In this case a build would help with assisting cam choice so we can use my build as an example,
Solely sticking to the comparison of Low duration, High Lift VS High duration, Low Lift

My setup is
Turbo 5.3
LS6 intake
CNC 243 heads
BTR Dual springs .660 lift
TH400 3000 stall
ford 8.8 with 3.27 rear
~ 3000 lb

There are 2 real cam options out there (not made up numbers)

212/218 .600/.600 112+4 Cam1
224/230 .500/.500 112+3 Cam2

I would say the comparison above would fit my exact question
But what Cam will give a Good performance upgrade and what is not a dog when driving light to light
Of course with a aftermarket cam you would expect to sacrifice something, But buying a full race Cam while using it for street /strip driving is the error most people make
while we also wouldn't expect it to drive like a stock cam w/ stock converter
(i saw a video of a extreme cam, while idle driving slowly it hit so hard that when it lopes the tires actually squeal and it jerked forward )

Compare Cam 1 and Cam 2
Cam1
Would the higher Lift of Cam1 compensate for the less duration?
Would this lift it make it act like a larger duration cam 2? (or more suited performance cam)
Would it be work well with (low speed) city since the duration was lower but lift was higher.
OR
Cam 2
Would the Longer duration lower lift cam be better then Cam 1
Would the lower lift cause the low speed driving to be better then Cam 1

Where would the benefit of one come into play over the other?
Which cam would work well on the street
Not what is best suited for the street, not what cam will act like a stock cam
The overlap difference here is the largest thing.
All other valve events are about 5 degrees more (positive) with the larger duration cam 2
Hey BlueRacer15,

Thank you for the question. Being a turbo, it adds a little complexity to my reply, but lets look at your questions:

Compare Cam 1 and Cam 2
Cam1
Would this lift it make it act like a larger duration cam 2? (or more suited performance cam)

This question can be answered in a general way for the sake of this discussion, but I think I can give you more insight by giving you a new view of the relationship between lift and duration. When you listed the duration figures in your post, it looks like you listed duration at .050" of valve lift. When you listed "lift", you are specifying peak lift at the valve. Those are derived from just two points on the lobe. You must ask, what happens to the shape of the lobe when you change peak lift and duration.

As you increase peak lift, the duration of the camshaft at different lifts will change with it
(while maintaining similar lobe acceleration rates). We make many different lifts per a given duration at .050". For example. I can make your "224" duration @ .050" lobe with the .500" (with a 1.7 rocker ratio) valve lift you specified, or I can make your 224 duration @.050" lobe with .629" valve lift (with a 1.7 rocker ratio). These two "224" lobes will have the same duration at .050" and I can even give them the same duration at .006" lift, but as lobe lift rises above .050" in lobe lift, the cam lobe with more lift will have more duration.

The higher lift "224" cam lobe will have more duration than the low lift "224" cam lobe at .100", .150" .200" .250 lobe lift etc. This relationship demonstrates that lobe lift actually changes lobe duration depending on where you measure the duration in lobe lift. So, as you can see, we are not just talking about the effects of peak lift. In fact, we are only at peak lift for a blink. We touch peak lift and then the valve starts to close. So, peak lift is not really the effect that matters. What matters is the fact the higher peak lift creates a lobe that has more duration at higher lifts above .050" lobe lift. In this example, our "224" lobe with .629" valve lift (with 1.7 rocker ratio) will have 145 degrees of duration at .200" lobe lift vs 133 degrees of duration at .200" lobe lift for our "224" lobe with .500" valve lift. And, at .300" lobe lift our "224" lobe with .629" valve lift will have 91 degrees of duration at .300" valve lift whereas the "224" lobe with .500" valve lift will have 0 degrees of duration at .050".

Often times you will hear people say something like: there is no reason to have more than .650" valve lift for use with a head that does not flow any more above .650" valve lift. This is wrong thinking. It is not the flow at peak lift you are after, it is the additional duration at lifts between .050" and .650" that you are after.

Would it be work well with (low speed) city since the duration was lower but lift was higher.
OR
Cam 2

Now that I have said what I wanted to share on the relationship of lift, duration and lobe design, I will answer this question more generally to give you a feel of how I look at this relationship. In general, higher lift, shorter duration cams have the potential to produce a better drivability to power relationship. In general increasing lift will increase power and can increase RPM range while not affecting drivability notably. While increasing duration will generally move the RPM range upward and produce more peak power, but will likely diminish drivability noticeably. This is generalizing, so keep that in mind. Now it is time for the BUT..... BUT, there are practical limits to how much lift you can run for a given duration. As you increase lift per a given duration, you also increase acceleration of the valve train. As you increase the acceleration of the valve train, you increase stress on parts and deflection on valve train components. The 212 duration at .050" lobe lift lobe with .600" valve lift that you specified is an very aggressive lobe. To make this lobe, you will have relatively high acceleration rates. For an application like yours, I would limit the lift on a 212 duration lobe @ .050" lobe lift to just under .580" valve lift using a 1.7 rocker arm.

The 212/218 camshaft would have a smoother idle, more idle vacuum, get better fuel economy, have better low speed torque, better throttle response and likely spool your turbo quicker. I feel like this would make the general driving experience better.

The 224/230 camshaft has a full 12 degrees more duration. So, the drivability will not be as good. And, while the increased duration has the promise of make more peak power at a higher RPM, the low .500" valve lift will hurt that cams potential substantially. However, because it is a turbo application, the boost will help make the best of the situation compared to a naturally aspirated scenario.

Honestly, I don't like either one of them for this application. The 212/218 .600"/.600" has too aggressive of a lobe for this application in my opinion and the 224/230 .500"/.500" has an unnecessarily soft lobe for this application. If I owned both of those cams, I would sell them both and get something better suited. While these two cams serve as extremes for the sake of example, neither one is a good real world choice for your application in my opinion.

Here is a graph of the 212/600 lobe versus the 224/500 lobe:

As you can see, the very low .500" valve lift (1.7 rocker arm ratio) hurts the potential of the 224 lobe pretty substantially when compared to the very aggressive 212 lobe with .600" valve lift (using 1.7 ratio rocker arm).

Here is what happens when you compare a 212 duration at .050 lobe lift with .600" valve lift lobe to a 224 duration lobe @ .050" lobe lift with .629" valve lift (valve lift is using a 1.7 rocker arm)

As you can see, when you give the larger duration lobe a more normal lift, its potential increases substantially. In this case, the 224 lobes .629" valve lift will have less valve-train acceleration and be easier on the valve train the the 212 lobe will at .600" valve lift. The additional duration at .050" lobe lift allows achieve a higher valve lift while creating lobe that will be more stable at upper RPMs.

Time and time again I see cases where to aggressive of a lobe actually hurts power due to the deflection and instability that it causes. Conversely, too soft of a lobe will also leave power on the table. Although, typically I see more people opt for a lobe that is too aggressive.

I want to summarize by saying this. I recommend that engine builders choose a lobe that is appropriate for your valve train and application, then choose your valve events.

~Steven

Last edited by CAMMOTION PERF; 01-31-2020 at 05:04 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by CAMMOTION PERF:
DaOtherOne (02-03-2020), dreadpirateroberts (01-31-2020)
Old 01-31-2020, 01:01 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 244 Likes on 186 Posts

Maybe a disclaimer about that 212/600 lobe not being TSP's?
Old 01-31-2020, 02:08 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
Maybe a disclaimer about that 212/600 lobe not being TSP's?
I am not sure if you referring to my post or not, but I am speaking about lift to duration relationships in general. Not about any specific brand. I am merely addressing the specs that he gave in his question to me, as a theoretical, for the purpose of discussion.
Old 01-31-2020, 03:07 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

But Texas Speed has a 212/600 lift lobe that has been suggested here. Thats why i said that.

Youre trying to compare 2 lobes with the same adv duration but more lift? Is that right? Because if so, you know as well as I do thats not how it works though. kind of hard to tell from what youve said.
Old 01-31-2020, 03:13 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

But Texas Speed has a 212/600 lift lobe that has been suggested here. Thats why i said that.

Youre trying to compare 2 lobes with the same adv duration but more lift? Is that right? Because if so, you know as well as I do thats not how it works though. kind of hard to tell from what youve said.
The duration that the OP was referring to were at .050" lobe lift. I am not sure what you are referring to when you say "that's not how it works". Can you explain?
Old 01-31-2020, 03:29 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Your diagram looks like very close adv duration for the lower lift vs higher lift. You know thats not the only way to work that and normally never the way its done.
Matching @.050 duration and adding lift is what we have done on at least 2 cams we have and i can guarantee they are less aggressive than a few other company's with less lift but same @.050 duration.
There are too many ways to engineer a lobe to point at one diagram and say thats it. Especially now with asymmetric lobes, which have been out for years.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (01-31-2020)
Old 01-31-2020, 04:07 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Your diagram looks like very close adv duration for the lower lift vs higher lift. You know thats not the only way to work that and normally never the way its done.
Matching @.050 duration and adding lift is what we have done on at least 2 cams we have and i can guarantee they are less aggressive than a few other company's with less lift but same @.050 duration.
There are too many ways to engineer a lobe to point at one diagram and say thats it. Especially now with asymmetric lobes, which have been out for years.
When you say diagram, are you referring to the lobe illustration? Those are actual illustrations from an engineering program depicting actual lobes that I designed. We do have the ability to make lobes with the same advertised duration and .050" duration but different max lifts. I do this for customers when they ask for it and it is no problem. The lobes in the two illustrations that I have shared are asymmetric, although you cannot see that with the naked eye.

As you know, we have designed cams and lobes for just about anything you can imagine over the years. Including: World Champion NHRA Top Fuel teams, NHRA Pro-Stock, NHRA Pro-Stock Motorcycle, Champion Off-Shore Racing Boats, The Chevrolet COPO Camaros, Indy Cars, Circle Track Race Cars, Industrial Engines, Antiques Cars and more. I would say we have probably seen, done and won most everything there is to do with a camshaft. And, I am glad to share some of this knowledge when I can with the LS1Tech community.

What you see above is what I put together in an effort to help the OP understand the relationship between lift and duration. This information is very complex for the layman, so I always do my best to simplify the information as much as possible in hopes of helping those who want to learn understand. Even though we stay quite busy here, I do my best to be a contribution to this community. I hope it is appreciated.

~ Steven

Last edited by CAMMOTION PERF; 01-31-2020 at 04:48 PM.
G Atsma (01-31-2020)
Old 01-31-2020, 04:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,247 Likes on 2,529 Posts

What a great thread! Learning a lot of cam tech here from both WS6store and Cam Motion. The fact that you both share the whys and wherefores of what you do makes you assets in this field.
Old 01-31-2020, 05:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by CAMMOTION PERF
Hey BlueRacer15,

Thank you for the question. Being a turbo, it adds a little complexity to my reply, but lets look at your questions:

Compare Cam 1 and Cam 2
Cam1

This question can be answered in a general way for the sake of this discussion, but I think I can give you more insight by giving you a new view of the relationship between lift and duration. When you listed the duration figures in your post, it looks like you listed duration at .050" of valve lift. When you listed "lift", you are specifying peak lift at the valve. Those are derived from just two points on the lobe. You must ask, what happens to the shape of the lobe when you change peak lift and duration.

As you increase peak lift, the duration of the camshaft at different lifts will change with it
(while maintaining similar lobe acceleration rates). We make many different lifts per a given duration at .050". For example. I can make your "224" duration @ .050" lobe with the .500" (with a 1.7 rocker ratio) valve lift you specified, or I can make your 224 duration @.050" lobe with .629" valve lift (with a 1.7 rocker ratio). These two "224" lobes will have the same duration at .050" and I can even give them the same duration at .006" lift, but as lobe lift rises above .050" in lobe lift, the cam lobe with more lift will have more duration.

The higher lift "224" cam lobe will have more duration than the low lift "224" cam lobe at .100", .150" .200" .250 lobe lift etc. This relationship demonstrates that lobe lift actually changes lobe duration depending on where you measure the duration in lobe lift. So, as you can see, we are not just talking about the effects of peak lift. In fact, we are only at peak lift for a blink. We touch peak lift and then the valve starts to close. So, peak lift is not really the effect that matters. What matters is the fact the higher peak lift creates a lobe that has more duration at higher lifts above .050" lobe lift. In this example, our "224" lobe with .629" valve lift (with 1.7 rocker ratio) will have 145 degrees of duration at .200" lobe lift vs 133 degrees of duration at .200" lobe lift for our "224" lobe with .500" valve lift. And, at .300" lobe lift our "224" lobe with .629" valve lift will have 91 degrees of duration at .300" valve lift whereas the "224" lobe with .500" valve lift will have 0 degrees of duration at .050".

Often times you will hear people say something like: there is no reason to have more than .650" valve lift for use with a head that does not flow any more above .650" valve lift. This is wrong thinking. It is not the flow at peak lift you are after, it is the additional duration at lifts between .050" and .650" that you are after.

OR
Cam 2

Now that I have said what I wanted to share on the relationship of lift, duration and lobe design, I will answer this question more generally to give you a feel of how I look at this relationship. In general, higher lift, shorter duration cams have the potential to produce a better drivability to power relationship. In general increasing lift will increase power and can increase RPM range while not affecting drivability notably. While increasing duration will generally move the RPM range upward and produce more peak power, but will likely diminish drivability noticeably. This is generalizing, so keep that in mind. Now it is time for the BUT..... BUT, there are practical limits to how much lift you can run for a given duration. As you increase lift per a given duration, you also increase acceleration of the valve train. As you increase the acceleration of the valve train, you increase stress on parts and deflection on valve train components. The 212 duration at .050" lobe lift lobe with .600" valve lift that you specified is an very aggressive lobe. To make this lobe, you will have relatively high acceleration rates. For an application like yours, I would limit the lift on a 212 duration lobe @ .050" lobe lift to just under .580" valve lift using a 1.7 rocker arm.

The 212/218 camshaft would have a smoother idle, more idle vacuum, get better fuel economy, have better low speed torque, better throttle response and likely spool your turbo quicker. I feel like this would make the general driving experience better.

The 224/230 camshaft has a full 12 degrees more duration. So, the drivability will not be as good. And, while the increased duration has the promise of make more peak power at a higher RPM, the low .500" valve lift will hurt that cams potential substantially. However, because it is a turbo application, the boost will help make the best of the situation compared to a naturally aspirated scenario.

Honestly, I don't like either one of them for this application. The 212/218 .600"/.600" has too aggressive of a lobe for this application in my opinion and the 224/230 .500"/.500" has an unnecessarily soft lobe for this application. If I owned both of those cams, I would sell them both and get something better suited. While these two cams serve as extremes for the sake of example, neither one is a good real world choice for your application in my opinion.

Here is a graph of the 212/600 lobe versus the 224/500 lobe:

As you can see, the very low .500" valve lift (1.7 rocker arm ratio) hurts the potential of the 224 lobe pretty substantially when compared to the very aggressive 212 lobe with .600" valve lift (using 1.7 ratio rocker arm).

Here is what happens when you compare a 212 duration at .050 lobe lift with .600" valve lift lobe to a 224 duration lobe @ .050" lobe lift with .629" valve lift (valve lift is using a 1.7 rocker arm)

As you can see, when you give the larger duration lobe a more normal lift, its potential increases substantially. In this case, the 224 lobes .629" valve lift will have less valve-train acceleration and be easier on the valve train the the 212 lobe will at .600" valve lift. The additional duration at .050" lobe lift allows achieve a higher valve lift while creating lobe that will be more stable at upper RPMs.

Time and time again I see cases where to aggressive of a lobe actually hurts power due to the deflection and instability that it causes. Conversely, too soft of a lobe will also leave power on the table. Although, typically I see more people opt for a lobe that is too aggressive.

I want to summarize by saying this. I recommend that engine builders choose a lobe that is appropriate for your valve train and application, then choose your valve events.

~Steven
pikshurs help.

nah, seriously, i'm saving this for future reference.
G Atsma (01-31-2020)
Old 02-01-2020, 08:27 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,696 Likes on 2,249 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Excellent Tech here Cammotion Perf!
The following 3 users liked this post by Che70velle:
Batass (06-01-2020), dreadpirateroberts (02-02-2020), G Atsma (02-01-2020)
Old 01-14-2024, 01:05 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's the one difference in the LS guys versus the ford 347-408 guys. A LS guy is much more willing to run over .600" valve lift and achieve that higher power number and better torque, where Ford guys play around with .500 to .550" lift on those combos and have less torque than the equivalent cube LS.
G Atsma (01-14-2024)

Quick Reply: Cam Lift vs duration