Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Spec me new valve springs on 720' lift setup

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2020, 08:40 AM

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,152 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
Anyone feels free to enlight me on what springs would be better. I thought maybe Manley Nextek 221421 btu they have less springs rate (435) but a little bit more open (515) and installed (165) pressure, and more lift rated 800'. They do have more room for coil bind at .900 insteat of 1.000 with the Pac,

How much pressure/load is too much?

Just swap em out and be ok with it?
I'm running those springs. They work good, but I don't have a lot of hours on them. What hours they have is very hard duty. Motor went to 8K on it's break-in dyno

As you noted, the spring has a low spring rate, but lots of travel. This gives it a higher seat pressure even at similar open pressures when compared with other springs like the 1209x. For me, beyond the cam, the considerations are the rocker ratio, the weight over the valve tip of the T&D (not a jab at the product, just as compared with stock rockers), and also the weight of the valve come into play. The ramp rate on that cam should be about 46 degrees, which is aggressive, but not like full-sausage-solids-aggressive.

I have seen high enough spring pressures to break the tip of the valve clean off, but you're not in that territory. You don't have to worry too much about spring pressure on your heavy side, because you're running solid lifters (nothing to compress) and you're running 3/8" pushrods.

I think what I would do in your shoes is get the manley nexteks you're looking at, shim the spring to get to a net .790 lift (.070 shim), and that will get you increased spring pressure to help with the T&D's tip weight and still stay below 600 lbs of open pressure, so the valve tip should not be a concern. This will increase your seat pressure as well, which is where I think you'll need the most control on this setup. Really you could go to .080 shim because you'll lose .010 due to lash as the engine warms up. Also with the nexteks, make sure to get the matching set of retainers and keepers.
Old 11-11-2020, 11:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Corona
Call Cam Motion..get there recommendation.....

This is sad. U Scared to talk to the people who made the cam. .
1. Car made stellar numbers without valvefloat.
2. Followed recommendations of the guy who ran this cam and had stellar results
3. I asked TSP, FED and some other people at that time that I trusted and just followed their advice.
4. This is a follow up after a season and I am looking for advuces and stuff and I am open minded.
5. This is ls1tech, not callyourpartsmanufacturer.com
6. I did send an email and got an answer from Cam Motion and they said the 1209x is their fav choice for low lash setup, but usually recommend to run it with .700' or less. So its a start.
7. Cam Motion tech guy is talking about 1238x, but as I thought, a lot of pressure will put stress on everything and anything can break at anytime. Remind you, my car is a street car.
7. Thank you for all the replies. LoL
Old 11-11-2020, 11:38 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
I'm running those springs. They work good, but I don't have a lot of hours on them. What hours they have is very hard duty. Motor went to 8K on it's break-in dyno

As you noted, the spring has a low spring rate, but lots of travel. This gives it a higher seat pressure even at similar open pressures when compared with other springs like the 1209x. For me, beyond the cam, the considerations are the rocker ratio, the weight over the valve tip of the T&D (not a jab at the product, just as compared with stock rockers), and also the weight of the valve come into play. The ramp rate on that cam should be about 46 degrees, which is aggressive, but not like full-sausage-solids-aggressive.

I have seen high enough spring pressures to break the tip of the valve clean off, but you're not in that territory. You don't have to worry too much about spring pressure on your heavy side, because you're running solid lifters (nothing to compress) and you're running 3/8" pushrods.

I think what I would do in your shoes is get the manley nexteks you're looking at, shim the spring to get to a net .790 lift (.070 shim), and that will get you increased spring pressure to help with the T&D's tip weight and still stay below 600 lbs of open pressure, so the valve tip should not be a concern. This will increase your seat pressure as well, which is where I think you'll need the most control on this setup. Really you could go to .080 shim because you'll lose .010 due to lash as the engine warms up. Also with the nexteks, make sure to get the matching set of retainers and keepers.
Thanks Darth, I'll be looking for that for sure. Since my car has and install height of 1.780, I already have .020 shim and just get the -.050 locks and be done with it!
Old 11-11-2020, 12:36 PM

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,152 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
Thanks Darth, I'll be looking for that for sure. Since my car has and install height of 1.780, I already have .020 shim and just get the -.050 locks and be done with it!
That's a really good way to do it! I'm not sure if the manley locks come with -050. In fact they might be +050. I simply don't remember.
Old 11-11-2020, 03:28 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,694 Likes on 2,248 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Corona
Call Cam Motion ask 4 Steven or Bobby ..
They need 2 no the Lobe numbers for your cam. Which generally are the: example Cam reads 5408/6808 hr 113+4
5408 is the intake lobe the 6808 is the exhaust.

They will give you the recommended springs for your cam and recommended seat and open pressure. So then u could pick your own.

This Message is brought to you by Smokey B.
Rule #278564. U must have a recommendation for springs if you purchase a cam. Which includes seat and open pressure.
Not just, oh it says .700 max lift for springs and my cam has 680 lift. Yeah that sounds great. 🤔
That's BS and the incorrect way to purchase valve springs.🤫😉

Smokey B, he has 4000 miles and 200 passes on previous solid roller spring setup....which still runs great, just down on power a little. Absolutely nothing wrong with the spring choice here.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (11-11-2020)
Old 11-11-2020, 05:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
That's a really good way to do it! I'm not sure if the Manley locks come with -050. In fact they might be +050. I simply don't remember.
And as I think about it, the 515 open pressure of the Manley are at 1.000, so in fact, if I'm not confused, I need to shim more the Manley cause open pressure of 510 of the PAC is measured at 1.100. Shimming the Manley with a 435lbs/inch spring load wont up the pressure as much as the PAC with a 500lbs/inch load. So it wouldn't be a problem to shim .080 on the Manley, maybe more, to be closer to .900 coil bind, if I want to be closer to .050 coil bind.

0.080 on the Manley would give an open pressure of approx 549lbs@1.020 (80x0.435 load/inch+ 515lbs open pressure@1.000). I would have bigger margin on the wear and keep the right press on the springs.
Right now with the 1.780 installed height, the PAC are around 520lbs@1.080 open press (20x0.500lbs/inch +510lbs open press@1.100)

Maybe its only a matter of wear on components, so the installed height is now greater and putting less pressure on the springs..I'll keep you posted

Last edited by Johnnystock; 11-11-2020 at 05:16 PM.
Old 11-11-2020, 07:08 PM
Banned

Received 680 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by Che70velle

Smokey B, he has 4000 miles and 200 passes on previous solid roller spring setup....which still runs great, just down on power a little. Absolutely nothing wrong with the spring choice here.
Ohhhhhh 🤣
I took it as he has a cam and doesn't know which springs 🤫 if what he has worked needs a bit more (shim it) or higher rate pressure spring as not 2 lose as much and or lighter valve train.
My dumb 🐴 🤐.
The following users liked this post:
Che70velle (11-11-2020)

Quick Reply: Spec me new valve springs on 720' lift setup