Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Main cap side bolts - Does it matter what kind you use?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2021, 05:23 PM
Launching!

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Main cap side bolts - Does it matter what kind you use?

Summit Racing and Lsxcelleration both sell OEM main bolt kits. But I have found that it is actually cheaper to buy the OEM bolts individually rather than either of these sets. It is even CHEAPER if you buy two five packs of ARP M8x1.25 - 25 bolts rather than the OEM bolts. Since these would just be torqued to the normal 18ft-lb as stock, is there a problem with using these in place of the stock bolts? Also, would it be better if aluminum crush washers are used with these bolts rather than the usual RTV?
Old 02-21-2021, 06:22 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,695 Likes on 2,248 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by StorminMatt
Summit Racing and Lsxcelleration both sell OEM main bolt kits. But I have found that it is actually cheaper to buy the OEM bolts individually rather than either of these sets. It is even CHEAPER if you buy two five packs of ARP M8x1.25 - 25 bolts rather than the OEM bolts. Since these would just be torqued to the normal 18ft-lb as stock, is there a problem with using these in place of the stock bolts? Also, would it be better if aluminum crush washers are used with these bolts rather than the usual RTV?
I use the ARP bolts, and your right, they are actually very affordable. I use ARP everywhere and buy them individually from Summit. I torque them to 22ft lbs. without issue and use a dab of grey RTV under the bolt heads before install. Works great. Never tried the aluminum crush washers, so I can’t comment.
The following users liked this post:
rkupon1 (02-21-2021)
Old 02-21-2021, 06:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Che70velle
I use the ARP bolts, and your right, they are actually very affordable. I use ARP everywhere and buy them individually from Summit. I torque them to 22ft lbs. without issue and use a dab of grey RTV under the bolt heads before install. Works great. Never tried the aluminum crush washers, so I can’t comment.
Are you using ARP side bolts along with the OEM inners and outers? I personally would have gone ARP all the way if I didn’t have to worry about machine work.
Old 02-21-2021, 07:43 PM
Banned

Received 680 Likes on 554 Posts

Darn good question as I've got a paid 4 new = Got used: ARP main Stud set, missing side bolts.
Old 02-21-2021, 08:42 PM
ModSquad

LS1Tech 10 Year

Are you using ARP side bolts along with the OEM inners and outers? I personally would have gone ARP all the way if I didn’t have to worry about machine work.
No. I’m using ARP across the board, along with the associated machine work when the builds call for ARP hardware. BUT, the side bolts will not affect what the inside fasteners are doing and torque values won’t change inside, therefore NOT requiring a line hone. The side bolts are there for lateral movement only, which is why they are so small.
Old 02-21-2021, 08:52 PM
ModSquad

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Corona
Darn good question as I've got a paid 4 new = Got used: ARP main Stud set, missing side bolts.
Order you a couple packs of ARP 661-1002 bolts and your set is complete. Summit has them.
Corona (02-22-2021)
Old 02-21-2021, 10:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Che70velle
Never tried the aluminum crush washers, so I can’t comment.
I know that Honda does this for the cross bolts on the V6 in my Accord. So I figured it might work on an LS as well, especially since there is apparently some connection between the design of these two engine families.
Old 02-22-2021, 09:38 PM
Launching!

Funny thing is, I called ARP today for the heck of it. And they told me that using their bolts as side bolts will distort the main caps, requiring a line hone.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 481 Likes on 332 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Unless you have caps that don't fit correctly, the ARP side bolts will not distort the cap housing as Che70velle mentioned with factory main bolts.

I have measured them myself with and with out side bolts and see virtually no change that I can measure. I did this to verify what the machine shop I use was telling me regarding their findings.

Old 02-23-2021, 02:46 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
Unless you have caps that don't fit correctly, the ARP side bolts will not distort the cap housing as Che70velle mentioned with factory main bolts.

I have measured them myself with and with out side bolts and see virtually no change that I can measure. I did this to verify what the machine shop I use was telling me regarding their findings.
The only thing I can think of is that they are trying to cover themselves against any kind of problems. They probably don’t want to be blamed for something that actually had nothing to do with the use of their bolts.
Jimbo1367 (02-23-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 07:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 738 Likes on 511 Posts

The side bolts put very little force on the caps. They're too small to significantly distort any of the metal.

The reason they can be so effective while being so small is, the forces on them are in shear; not bending or pulling, like the "main" main bolts. Those, the forces applied to them are in orientations that the bolts and the parts are inherently not as strong, therefore have to be bigger, tighter, etc.

People pull them all the time and put them back in, often replacing them, just to assure no leaks.

Matt is probably right... ARP's disclaimer is just that, a disclaimer. CYA. Not the same thing as a fact-based need.
G Atsma (02-23-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 04:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1,186 Likes on 826 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick

Kurt Urban told me many years ago, when he was running W2W, that some engines will need the align hone, and some won't, with no way to know beforehand. Lucky for me, mine did not need the hone.......
Old 02-24-2021, 03:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by grinder11
Kurt Urban told me many years ago, when he was running W2W, that some engines will need the align hone, and some won't, with no way to know beforehand. Lucky for me, mine did not need the hone.......
This is DEFINITELY true when using the full ARP stud kit. But in this case, only the side bolts are being replaced by ARP. The main bolts are still OEM. With the side bolts, the same type of fastener is being used compared to stock (bolt vs stud), the length is the same (25mm), and the bolts are being torqued to factory spec (18ft-lb). This should NOT distort the caps.
Old 02-25-2021, 11:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1,186 Likes on 826 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

This is DEFINITELY true when using the full ARP stud kit. But in this case, only the side bolts are being replaced by ARP. The main bolts are still OEM. With the side bolts, the same type of fastener is being used compared to stock (bolt vs stud), the length is the same (25mm), and the bolts are being torqued to factory spec (18ft-lb). This should NOT distort the caps.
I ran the full ARP stud kit-Mains, sides (sides were ARP bolts), and heads. It even had Darton wet sleeves. It did NOT need an align hone. I'm grateful that Kurt told me up front it may, or may not, need the align hone, and was (and still is!) honest. If he wasn't, I'm sure he woulda charged me for one........

Quick Reply: Main cap side bolts - Does it matter what kind you use?