Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS7/LS3 build questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2021, 05:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LS7/LS3 build questions

Hey all,
Long term member who can usually read what he needs and not bother anyone. Built a 98 Camaro SS 6.0L successfully for my wife with 228r basically and stall she put 18k on it, lol.
Built a 402 stroker for a 69 Camaro topped wirh ported LS3 heads and a Ported OD LSA blower, that is still working good for him.....but Im in over my head for what I'm going to try to do for myself...

Due to MY imminent unavailability, it's finally time to pull the old Dinosaur out of my personal 67 Camaro replacing it with something more modern, durable and mainstream to get worked on when I'm not around to do it....problem is...

No offense at all I love the LS, I am going to it but this car hasn't seen under 700hp since the first few of the over 30 years I owned it, purchased from my uncle when I was a kid and will be left to my grandson.

It's currently a home Built for boost BBC with a home retrofit of a discontinued Oval port Street tunnel ram converter to sequential MPI and home built reverse top 102mm tb adapter welded in ( fits under cowl hood) with an F1A-94 procharger. I was going for port velocity here and tunnel ram to give nothing anywhere as I truly drive the car, Thru a 4l80e with billet stall and out the back with a 1200hp Worm Gear Aluminum 9inch and 3.25 gears.

It deploy a custom hyd roller ramp that helps with a little take up on a solid pressure fed roller lifter( morel), hybrid setup...she doesn't roll over at 6300rpm like most BBC heh...just getting started big bore, short stroke, long rod.....

I use the MS3 Pro Ultimate with their TCU connected via Canbus and a Rasberry mini PC driving a 10.1" 2k screen along with running the tuning/logging software...several custom touches to my tune from injector phasing to using RPM vs Turbine VS Output shaft for TC and boost/timing per gear ect ect...even a 3 way valve with a PWM output using the pressure differential between the filter and impeller for a vacuum source to overcome one of the Tial bypass valve for boost control, can't get to zero but I can get to 4psi that way...

Why all the back story, I see a lot of people not get the help they look for because they aren't honest with what they want and need in my case even come to expect...

I want, I need to swap this thing over to an all aluminum LS setup near zero maintence or at least maintence they can find help with. I'll probably dumb the engine management down with a Terminator X Max setup ect to make it plug n play for em....

I want an all aluminum setup because if I have to loose all that power at least I'll be taking 200-300lbs off the nose at the same time, which should make the entire combo more consistent and sure-footed.

It's on old muscle car I don't care about corners, I really just want it to be predictable on the street or track......

My thoughts were a 5.3L Gen 4 block resleeve ( or bore to 3.902-5 for a 383/Cathedral setup initially) up to the 4.155 area to unshroud valves with plenty of area for the fire ring to clamp on using a 4.00 stroke because it's cheaper and it should with a resleeve have a good stable BDC and thrust angle....keeping ring pack down far enough for boost in the event I make it long enough lol.....gonna miss boost....

The block was partially to satisfy the need to accommodate LS7 heads ( or available intake as I can easily fit that tunnel ram style FAST LSX looking one), if I haven't learned anything in my years it's invest in the best head you can and build around them....to ME those 12 Degree valves and the entry angles from the intakes I've looked at ( will probably go a 4500 EFI carb style intake with 4500 TB and injectors because if nothing else come on its a 67 Camaro) seems to be very effective. An LS with that LS7 top end just looks like it belongs better in the old car too...

Once I started looking sweet Jesus good lord you guys have the world as your Oyster for selection to much selection in fact, but I am trying to maintain at least 650hp with a durable valvetrain that has manners ( current BBC cam is 233/247 602/612 115+4 and it cleans up quick cruising locked in at 1600-2000rpm depending on 58-74mph), I assume bigger inch and the compression these run NA will help that as well...

Aside from choice, Jesus christ prices are literally BATSHIT...4k for heads from the big guys and $3550 for a block...good lord i could build a 2000hp BBC for that much at least max out my F1A-94 or 850+ HP NA but it's still a big heavy leaky Dinosaur 🦕 lol.....

Then I watch the test where Speedmaster does pretty good ( really almost zero difference between heads in the LS3 anr LS7 test) and their LS7 heads are dirt *** cheap and in-stock lol, so I'm like screw that drop ship those to a porter what he gets he gets out of em with some work and a good valve job...it all gets cloudy here....
1. What's the deal, ive used everything from stock to AFR BBC heads currently Brodix, im 2 hrs from them. Why not buy the literally $350 head and pay the porter to work em over ( I don't need as much flow as the 495ci Holder test and they did well), kind of think of them as a P head blank casting the porter takes out how he wants on a smaller engine may not need a ton of work. Similar to the -11 of the day it's a porters head ( positive spin on it ).
2. They list them and I asked again today at 60cc they claim not a typo and 15 degree valve angle again they claim not a typo...was this the same head tested, if the valves are 15 but the runner 12 that would seem to gonna be hard on the short side....They have a matching intake I guess....
2. What's the deal with 1.8 ratio on LS7? Can you not just use 1.7 or are these individually mounted with no base and you have to use 1.8 LS7 specific rockers? And I guess one needs to keep it under .650 if you do?
3. Why the low lift ( I do see the stock port dies after .650) capability on most advertised LS7 heads of around .615? Is this assuming you have stock pistons and can't clear it? A function of contacting walls? Overall weight of a valve that was designed to be titanium so the seemingly small 1.30 spring pocket selection can't control a .650 lift at SS valve weight?
4. DO 6 Bolt heads bolt to 4 bolt blocks and the extra is just there using I assume a 4 bolt gasket?
5. I think I know the LS7 head forces obviously LS7 intakes but does it have a different exhaust pattern? Will standard LS3 swap headers work? 1 7/8"?
6. The 800lb gorilla in the room might be will the non mid bore specific $4k LS7 heads aka the cheapo Speedmasters 2.20/1.60 ( or i guess the head porter might can set them up smaller if required ), hit the bores in a 4.065 LS3 block at 415ci? Is there still any benefit to the entry angles after you shrink the bore down or does one simply pick a really good LS3 or Cathedral searching for torque when forced under 4.125 due to budget constraints.....

I'd really like to reverse myself this time and not skimp on short block, go ahead and do the sleeved 434ci setup for 93 with all the gains you get from that and put the cheapest LS7 top end that will work on it, if I live then I can boost later or upgrade heads if not they are golden with an engine that should start, require little maintence and not leak...

It's just very hard to go this far back in power and that's the only reason I'm even looking at the headache of sleeved blocks and LS7 top ends vs a 415ci and whatever the flavor of head is best for like a 479-11 comp cam size, similar to what I have 233/247 650 ish or 238/250 111+3 kinda range..
I started out determined to get 700 durable horsepower the hours of reading doesn't seem to support that as a realistic goal but dang id like to hang on to at least 650hp....so the car still runs 10s at least ( id like it dead nuts reliable low 10s for them so it's just legal and stable).

Jumping back into anything other than the most cookie cutter gap and boost is overwhelming in both options and pricing, it's hard for the old timer to pay Big M and Big Chief head prices to make 650hp....haha but I just want them to have something anyone can work on several years from now.....the car has had a BBC in it over 30 years and I've modernized it as best I can but it's time, however I still want the best bang for the buck and it looks like pretty much all the quick NA cars run LS7 top ends and they look sinister too...

Thanks to anyone that reads this,lol I never got pithy typical long winded grey beard...

Old 08-15-2021, 11:26 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1,947 Likes on 1,400 Posts

LOVE the BBC and that color scheme BTW.

LSX 427 with an LS3 or LS7 top end with boost would be NASTY!
Old 08-15-2021, 12:33 PM
Staging Lane

Thank you,
I resisted a long time, trying to bring ALL the tech I could to my existing platform. The next project is I have an input ran out to the area where the 90 SS 454 truck puts their knock sensor ( only one I could get data on, looks like it's super near the #1 cylinder from the coolant side..)...

I just been reading and reading since this post of the failures and trouble with LS7, to ME gen V heads look like what GM was trying for with LS7, the runner angle is nuts...im not scared of DI...I just spent 2 years learning gen 3 coyote and tuning DI to PI blends at various engine states...

There is literally TO much choice lol my eyes glaze over heh...also just my opinion from outside seems like since my last ls project, a LOT of price gouging Going on especially on heads, especially those derived from factory style castings...

I bought assembled GMPP LS3 cnc heads on the 402, for what bare "junk" cost now....lol...

I do many more GEN 5 600whp vs flywheel builds...but lord the reading so is a can of words that way too......

Old friend is like toss pistons n rods in a 6.2l block/crank, get the transplant brackets for my procharger and call it done with first set of heads I find with decent parts....lol
Old 08-15-2021, 02:18 PM
Banned

Received 680 Likes on 554 Posts

I smoke Too much Mary Jane Simplify what's wanted....

I made my own LS7 heads for a small bore and know about using it with a Lq4 or Ls3 block

4.030 to 4.065

Rolling one up for your simplified question ❓
The following users liked this post:
01CamaroSSTx (08-15-2021)
Old 08-15-2021, 02:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,947 Likes on 1,400 Posts

I love you Mary Jane!

That takes me back right there.
Corona (08-15-2021)
Old 08-15-2021, 02:27 PM
Staging Lane

How can I make preferably the dirt cheap LS7 heads ( 2.20/1.60) work on a 4.065 with 4 inch stroke?
If i can't how so I make preferably dirt cheap heads with a 2.165/1.59) work on a 4.065 bore....
how do I make them last more than 10K miles?
I think I know now that LS7 has a pedestal mount so I have to use stock LS7 rockers or like the cheapest aluminum ones I can find individually adjustable...

Thanks
Old 08-15-2021, 02:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,245 Likes on 2,527 Posts

Originally Posted by 01CamaroSSTx
I love you Mary Jane!

That takes me back right there.
Ahh man... you just SMOKED my wayback machine.... LOL
The following 2 users liked this post by G Atsma:
01CamaroSSTx (08-15-2021), Corona (08-15-2021)
Old 08-15-2021, 02:59 PM
Staging Lane

Or what's the cheapest way to make LS7 heads work with 4.065 bores? That's simple I guess hehe...enjoy
Old 08-15-2021, 03:29 PM
Banned

I took a SpeedMasters Ls7 head and made it fit using a smaller exhaust valve. Taught by ER work done by Darin....

Ls7 heads and a .065 over bore Generally clears the exhaust....

Give a second let me go thru my book Marks and will tell you more ...nhra Pro Stock is on...NA love only.

But here's the Kicker Factory Ls3 heads are just as good .....I have Both either or and my FED stg1 Ls3 heads are Well known now....
😏😉
I started the conversation about Frank Yrs ago ..

Old 08-15-2021, 03:38 PM
Banned

https://www.yellowbullet.com/threads...#post-65690274

I love as a brother the key people in the Thread about the subject....I did mines a few yrs Earlier after seeing and Reading then Asking Eric Roycroft on the Subject...

Speed Masters Ls7 heads $300each no Tax 🤨 uncle Jim before retirement....sent to Darin Morgan one head had a Water jacket hit...sent a replacement @ $300 🤣😆

I'd like the FED Small bore 710 now....I'd buy them Bare 🤫...must have project 😖😩
Old 08-15-2021, 03:48 PM
Banned

For the future reference....

.060 and below like a Lq4 needs the exhaust valve Shrunk....

I'm @ 4.030 over using a 1.55 tulip 🌷 exhaust valve..

Planning on having the rotating assembly balanced in the next few wks...
4.00 inch stroke 🦅 no Tax $ 😆 @ 12.2 Comp .730 lift
Typical street Stuff these Days 😉
Old 08-15-2021, 04:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Corona
For the future reference....

.060 and below like a Lq4 needs the exhaust valve Shrunk....

I'm @ 4.030 over using a 1.55 tulip 🌷 exhaust valve..

Planning on having the rotating assembly balanced in the next few wks...
4.00 inch stroke 🦅 no Tax $ 😆 @ 12.2 Comp .730 lift
Typical street Stuff these Days 😉
hey bud,
Thanks for responding, ive tried to follow your post across several threads....

So a guy running 2.20 isn't the issue with an aftermarket piston, it's the exhaust coming over into the wall? ( I think I seen a photo of yours), so a fella at 4.065 minimum ( and it will be, because I'm dead set on aluminum) has to run a 1.55 but the heads come with a valve job for 1.60-1.61?

Not sure how your getting stuff tax free, pm me haha.....

I don't even need a porter to take them to max effort just clean em up real good and a nice valve job then make sure the guides are clearancing ect...know any that will take that on?

I really appreciate your contributions in several threads, also and forgive me if im wrong,, but your the one that was insistent your valve angle was 15 not 12 on yours...does the 15 degree angle help.....

Also as you can see from my photo I won't have any problems running the huge 4500 Carb style with EFI or the LSX HR in LS7 ( actually reversed and its even gonna look real similar in there and draw FRESH air from the base of the cowl at the window I used a flat vette style air cleaner to do this when I sold my F2 and ordered the F1A-94 so I was NA several weeks....have way less money not wife had stroke after jab and I'm not in the best shape)....

Thanks I'm very interested in the LS3 options too but I can't get past the seemingly big advantage of ramp angles...

Part of me contemplates selling my F1A-94 induction quit with the ninthing out a big inch NA build, just tossing a smaller cheaper D1x back on add 10psi call it life but again want it simple and I don't want them to be like well let's just take grandpa's F1A-94 ( or D1x) and remove that captain insano slow 4.75 off it and add a 3.85 on it and zing right off into a ditch....haha....

Old 08-15-2021, 06:02 PM
Staging Lane

I took a SpeedMasters Ls7 head and made it fit using a smaller exhaust valve. Taught by ER work done by Darin....

Give a second let me go thru my book Marks and will tell you more ...nhra Pro Stock is on...NA love only.

But here's the Kicker Factory Ls3 heads are just as good .....I have Both either or and my FED stg1 Ls3 heads are Well known now....
😏😉
Also I found some M311s for 2400 on a site but on his site it's 4k? Omg at the info overload for the grey beard...
Also the exhaust on the FED are skewed over, for 2" headers on LS7 bolt pattern...I assume that means I need LS7 swap headers.....
I was surprised holley offered swap mounts for engine trans, headers and oil pans for LS3, LS7, and LT....
Old 08-15-2021, 09:10 PM
Banned

Why would you think that? Holley has Everything for the Swap and the reason for being the Most swapped over engine in % numbers from birth. ...

So many Modern standard equipment Features...

EFI 🤤
Old 08-15-2021, 09:18 PM
Banned

A Good set of Ported Factory Ls3 heads from FED should run 🤔 (the price of heads?) + $1100 in Labor

M311 @ anything over 2k for the heads bare is crazy... That's CID Money @ 3300 bare or TFS Ls7 heads Bare if we are staying in the 2k range..

Btw the TFS Ls7 heads should fit .... lmao

Speed Pro heads already CNC'ed run $700+ Each bare......
Old 08-15-2021, 09:39 PM
Staging Lane

😏😉
Why would you think that? Holley has Everything for the Swap and the reason for being the Most swapped over engine in % numbers from birth. ...

So many Modern standard equipment Features...

EFI 🤤
I should have been more clear I'm surprised GEN V had the full gambit of swap stuff, and also was surprised LS7 headers existed for it....
Corona (08-16-2021)

Quick Reply: LS7/LS3 build questions