Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS427/570 LS7 from GMPP - Experience or Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2022, 10:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,454 Likes on 1,008 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Well EXCUUUSE ME!! Sorry if I've offended your higher technical senses.
Many here are not world class engine builders. Include me there. If I "parrot" something I've read, you can bet I've vetted it with other reliable (likely by your standards) sources.
I've worked on a fair number of other engines over the years, just not LS's. Most of the same rules apply here too.
My so-called name calling is usually provoked, and admittedly should have been avoided. My apologies there. The old thread stuff is a response to those non-observant enough not to check post dates. Sloppiness on their part.
If someone PM's you about me, they're cryin' to the teacher instead of facing me. I can stand up for myself. PM me instead. If someone rubs me the wrong way, they'll know it from ME. I don't tattle. I've only had maybe two people PM me about not liking what I said. One was 8lug, who was obnoxious and left, the other, we came to see eye to eye once I explained my side of things.
And then you group me with Andre. At least lately he's a LOT more coherent. I actually enjoy some of his latest posts. But other times....
Grumpy Parrot 🦜 describes perfectly what you endlessly do on this forum. Repeating, blasting newbies with a rude curt tone, nit picking grammer and micro management calling out folks that inadvertently bump old threads sums up fully the rest of your interacts on the forum from the 16,000+ posts you've made. In essence, basic trolling.

Please do the board a favor and stick to talking about what little you actually have direct experience with on an LS: putting gas in your truck, changing the oil on occasion, adding windshield washer fluid, maybe checking the air filter and adding air to tires.

Better yet, step up to the plate and do (or have it done at shop) - actually do mod's to your LS so you actually have a shred of credibility.

Otherwise, find a NASA forum and lecture Astronauts on space travel. Maybe a neurologist could use your advice after you've read a couple of internet articles. You'll be just as credible there as you are here.

Last edited by 99 Black Bird T/A; 02-06-2022 at 10:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
tug686spd (02-06-2022)
Old 02-06-2022, 10:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,247 Likes on 2,529 Posts

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
Grumpy Parrot 🦜 describes perfectly what you endlessly do on this forum. Repeating, blasting newbies with a rude curt tone, nit picking grammer and micro management calling out folks that inadvertently bump old threads sums up fully the rest of your interacts on the forum from the 16,000+ posts you've made. In essence, basic trolling.

Please do the board a favor and stick to talking about what little you actually have direct experience with on an LS: putting gas in your truck, changing the oil on occasion, adding windshield washer fluid, maybe checking the air filter and adding air to tires.

Better yet, step up to the plate and do (or have them done at shop) - actually mod's to your LS so you actually have a shred of credibility. Otherwise, find a NASA forum and lecture Astronauts on space travel. Maybe a neurologist could use your advice after you've read a couple of internet articles. You'll just as credible there as you are here.
And he says I'M trolling... you know ZIP about what I do or don't know.
I live in California, so any mods I do will be under the radar, thereby invisible to OBDII and smog inspectors. But I can't do any of that stuff until I tear my DD down when it NEEDS IT. Mostly head work and a very mild cam. If you have ideas along these lines, I'm all ears.
Old 02-06-2022, 10:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

And he says I'M trolling... you know ZIP about what I do or don't know.
I live in California, so any mods I do will be under the radar, thereby invisible to OBDII and smog inspectors. But I can't do any of that stuff until I tear my DD down when it NEEDS IT. Mostly head work and a very mild cam. If you have ideas along these lines, I'm all ears.
However, I do know what you've done mod wise - Zero 😀😃🙂 just endlessly excuses while advising others on something you can't or won't do...an automotive Eunuch.

I lived in a state long ago that ran sniffer, plus visual inspection & OBD2 testing. If there's a will (in your case clearly there isn't a will just empty excuses) there's a way.

Old 02-06-2022, 10:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

However, I do know what you've done mod wise - Zero 😀😃🙂 just endlessly excuses while advising others on something you can't or won't do...an automotive Eunuch.
Troll..... I explained my mod situation. If you can't comprehend that.... troll somebody else. AND STFU.
I told you, IF you know ways around OBDII, I'm all ears. Put up or STFU
Old 02-06-2022, 11:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Troll..... I explained my mod situation. If you can't comprehend that.... troll somebody else. AND STFU.
I told you, IF you know ways around OBDII, I'm all ears. Put up or STFU
LOL a Eunuch that does nothing but parrot tells someone that's had four LS builds to put up or STFU!

Dig back through the forum and search out the information Dr Parrot - it's all there because I actually get stuff done and posted based on experience. I've posted my direct experience with LS's on this forum for 20+ years. That information has been around for 20+ years.

Take some of that advice of yours you rudely hand out to newbies for yourself - go do some searching 😉

Old 02-06-2022, 11:34 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1,947 Likes on 1,400 Posts

https://www.chevrolet.com/performanc...s/ls/ls427-570

This engine makes 570 fwhp not 505fwhp so this particuar engine is quite capable of 487rwhp or more and can outshine the LS3 416 any day of the week. No replacement for displacement!
Old 02-06-2022, 11:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

LOL a Eunuch that does nothing but parrot tells someone that's had four LS builds to put up or STFU!

Dig back through the forum and search out the information Dr Parrot - it's all there because I actually get stuff done and posted based on experience. I've posted my direct experience with LS's on this forum for 20+ years. That information has been around for 20+ years.

Take some of that advice of yours you rudely hand out to newbies for yourself - go do some searching 😉
.....and still nothing to advise me on CARB legal mods. Hey if you don't know, it's OK to know one's limitations. I have NEVER boasted any engine building skills. That's your department. Unless it took four builds to finally get it right...
Old 02-06-2022, 12:27 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,696 Likes on 2,249 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by 01CamaroSSTx
I don't know what side of the bed some of you woke up on but just because someone choses to cite information found somewhere else regarding automotove talk dosen't make you clueless as to what the discussion or topic is about. I call that being smart and saving you from having to explain it. No disrespect Scott but to say that someone offers ZERO to the forum just isn't correct. What I'm saying is that just becasue one does not know all the ins and outs or secrets to building engines dosen't mean they don't have anything to offer to the forum.

Simialr to biting the hand that feeds you or should I say under your own flagpole!
I get what your saying, I really do. But if you saw the complaints I get from members here about Gary, you’d understand. It’s a tech site, not an opinion site. Folks come here for answers and not opinions or “call the manufacturer” answers. Anybody that was anybody left because of stuff like this. I had two very good builders contact me a couple years ago and tell me they were leaving because of Gary and another guy that was going by one of his many, many names here. You can only be nice to someone so long while trying to tell someone stuff like this, but eventually you have to call a spade a spade. Myself and many others have carefully hinted at Gary through the years, while trying to be nice, but he didn’t see the writing on the walls. In fact he liked the posts and kept on going. Shoot, I left the site for 3 years because of folks like this, although I think that was before Gary showed up…maybe not?
Everyone has a right to be here for sure. But posting up opinions on topics without any experience is going to cost folks looking for help out there. They see his post count and take him at his word. The site is dying fast, that’s very obvious, and if a few more paying sponsors leave, it’s gone. IB doesn’t care, believe me. That’s just corporate business. Before IB took over, this place was ran much, much different than it is now. Guys that threw out opinions were banned as fast as they joined. No cares given. Go back and look at threads from 2000-2005 era. This place was filled with guys in the know with builds to prove themselves. Lots of very smart guys have been long gone because of the lack of Tech here. I don’t come by every day like I used to, and I find my interests here fading more and more. I’m a nobody in the big picture, but as a mod, I have a job to do. I’m not trying to start a pissing match with anyone, believe me. I hate conversations like this, especially on a tech site.
ddnspider (02-06-2022)
Old 02-06-2022, 01:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

I will be more careful with any unsolicited opinionating from here out. I do know I can have a big mouth. Point taken, Scott.
But guys, don't assume a stack of engine builds makes you any better than one without that kind of cred. We don't know if any of those builds were worth a flying hoot or not. A lot of my opinions are based on opinions YOU "engine builders" have said, AND I respected!
And when I call out a dead thread resurrection, I have never gotten snarky UNLESS the poster was snarky first. I like to keep a level playing field too. I bet 90% of those call outs are first time posters who JUST joined and don't bother to check post dates. That's just being inattentive.
Old 02-06-2022, 01:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

.....and still nothing to advise me on CARB legal mods. Hey if you don't know, it's OK to know one's limitations. I have NEVER boasted any engine building skills. That's your department. Unless it took four builds to finally get it right...
Just more of the standard G Atsma getting the story and facts wrong. I'm not advising you, take your own advise - go search for the information.

Get off that high horse and do some searching, information there unless you're just too trifling and lazy to look for yourself.

BTW - Only LS motor I've lost was destroyed by a car thief and that was well documented many years ago. You even insulted the excellent shop which was (a sponsor) doing the rebuild work in the build thread 😀

Originally Posted by Che70velle
I get what your saying, I really do. But if you saw the complaints I get from members here about Gary, you’d understand. It’s a tech site, not an opinion site. Folks come here for answers and not opinions or “call the manufacturer” answers. Anybody that was anybody left because of stuff like this. I had two very good builders contact me a couple years ago and tell me they were leaving because of Gary and another guy that was going by one of his many, many names here. You can only be nice to someone so long while trying to tell someone stuff like this, but eventually you have to call a spade a spade. Myself and many others have carefully hinted at Gary through the years, while trying to be nice, but he didn’t see the writing on the walls. In fact he liked the posts and kept on going. Shoot, I left the site for 3 years because of folks like this, although I think that was before Gary showed up…maybe not?
Everyone has a right to be here for sure. But posting up opinions on topics without any experience is going to cost folks looking for help out there. They see his post count and take him at his word. The site is dying fast, that’s very obvious, and if a few more paying sponsors leave, it’s gone. IB doesn’t care, believe me. That’s just corporate business. Before IB took over, this place was ran much, much different than it is now. Guys that threw out opinions were banned as fast as they joined. No cares given. Go back and look at threads from 2000-2005 era. This place was filled with guys in the know with builds to prove themselves. Lots of very smart guys have been long gone because of the lack of Tech here. I don’t come by every day like I used to, and I find my interests here fading more and more. I’m a nobody in the big picture, but as a mod, I have a job to do. I’m not trying to start a pissing match with anyone, believe me. I hate conversations like this, especially on a tech site.
Well said. Time for technical discussion.

I will be more careful with any unsolicited opinionating from here out. I do know I can have a big mouth. Point taken, Scott.
But guys, don't assume a stack of engine builds makes you any better than one without that kind of cred. We don't know if any of those builds were worth a flying hoot or not. A lot of my opinions are based on opinions YOU "engine builders" have said, AND I respected!
And when I call out a dead thread resurrection, I have never gotten snarky UNLESS the poster was snarky first. I like to keep a level playing field too. I bet 90% of those call outs are first time posters who JUST joined and don't bother to check post dates. That's just being inattentive.
...and 65% of them never post again after getting a dose your rude behavior 🙄 ... if you would just be cordial and polite to the newbies that encourages a few more to stick around...otherwise you're working overtime to make this forum a graveyard.

We'd all probably like to see the forum thrive and survive...

Last edited by 99 Black Bird T/A; 02-07-2022 at 05:04 AM.
G Atsma (02-06-2022)
Old 02-06-2022, 01:59 PM
Teching In

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Going back to the discussion before the de-rail.
The only dyno numbers I've seen on an installed LS427/570 are from this guy over on youtube.
In the video description he added that it ended up making 517whp and 463 tq; no graph or details on the dyno, just numbers.

I have a tune for mine scheduled for end of March so I'll add my numbers when I get them.
The following 3 users liked this post by Fidgitk:
99 Black Bird T/A (02-06-2022), G Atsma (02-06-2022), KW Baraka (02-07-2022)
Old 02-06-2022, 02:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Just more of the standard G Atsma getting the story and facts wrong. I'm not advising you, take your own advice - go search for the information.

Get off that high horse and do some searching, information there unless you're just too trifling and lazy to look for yourself.
Believe me, I have searched to no end. That kind of info is not freely given via normal channels. No laziness involved here, just asking in case you might know something I haven't found. I DO respect you as a good source of info and engine builder.
Old 02-06-2022, 02:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,947 Likes on 1,400 Posts

Originally Posted by Che70velle
Scott,

You've taken the time to give me pointers and answer my questions through PM, your contributions to this forum speak volumes and thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience. We're all big boys here and some things that are said we have to take with a grain of salt and move on. It most likely didn't need to escalate as far as it did but that's water under the bridge.

P.S.. If it helps I'll sign up today and get that license plate I've always been wanting on its way.. Many of us do our best to contribute to the forum in a positve way and I'm sure I speak for many of us who still find this as a place to share their experience and gain knowledge from those who have helped to make this forum one of the best to look up on just about anything dealing with a 4th Gen car or an LS engine. Many old threads are out there where people have posted up solutions who are no longer posting and sometimes there was never a solution or there was misinformation and no closure then someone years later will post and a solution or answer. Thankfully those old theads and LS1Tech is still around to help others, otherwise those will go away too.
The following 4 users liked this post by 01CamaroSSTx:
Che70velle (02-06-2022), Corona (02-06-2022), G Atsma (02-06-2022), Mickyinks (04-12-2022)
Old 02-06-2022, 03:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1,186 Likes on 826 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Fidgitk
Going back to the discussion before the de-rail.
The only dyno numbers I've seen on an installed LS427/570 are from this guy over on youtube. https://youtu.be/NGk6S1SuD-c
In the video description he added that it ended up making 517whp and 463 tq; no graph or details on the dyno, just numbers.

I have a tune for mine scheduled for end of March so I'll add my numbers when I get them.
I agree with those #s, FWIW. Based on his #s, I'd say the 570hp rating is pretty accurate.....
Old 02-06-2022, 04:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Believe me, I have searched to no end. That kind of info is not freely given via normal channels. No laziness involved here, just asking in case you might know something I haven't found. I DO respect you as a good source of info and engine builder.
OK, let's try to see what we can do.

We had all of Cali level emissions stuff where I used to live except the dyno roller test for many years. The state finally scraped the test program for older cars & trucks. My experience is with 99-02 fbodies but a fair bit of that should apply to other LS platforms. Shoot me a PM please with year, make, engine, transmission etc info and we'll (you & i) see if we can figure out a road map.

I can't claim being an engine builder but thank you for the kind words. Am a car(s) owner, hot rodder, parts washer, flow bench chimp & bolt on monkey who swaps parts like carbs, water pumps, optisparks, rear ends, a motor once etc is the limit of my hands on experience. I have known face to face several outstanding engine builders & cylinder head porters that helped me with my various projects.
G Atsma (02-06-2022)
Old 02-06-2022, 04:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

OK, let's try to see what we can do.

We had all of Cali level emissions stuff where I used to live except the dyno roller test for many years. The state finally scraped the test program for older cars & trucks. My experience is with 99-02 fbodies but a fair bit of that should apply to other LS platforms. Shoot me a PM please with year, make, engine, transmission etc info and we'll (you & i) see if we can figure out a road map.

I can't claim being an engine builder but thank you for the kind words. Am a car(s) owner, hot rodder, parts washer, flow bench chimp & bolt on monkey who swaps parts like carbs, water pumps, optisparks, rear ends, a motor once etc is the limit of my hands on experience. I have known face to face several outstanding engine builders & cylinder head porters that helped me with my various projects.
PM sent. And thank you!
99 Black Bird T/A (02-06-2022)
Old 02-14-2022, 12:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 131 Likes on 100 Posts

Know of someone that slapped a crate LS7 in a 77/78 Trans-Am with headers & customized intake tract and it dyno'd 465 whp. Really wouldn't expect to see 465 whp out of a 505 fwhp LS7 either but it's happened before. Not too far off of John B's ~487 whp out of a 505 fwhp LS7. Tuning, weather, different dyno different days, different tires & wheels etc.
Actually, I been tryin' to tell people for YEARS that the X% of drivetrain loss was BS. I mean....there's absolutely no logic whatsoever in the idea that two similar (lets say LSx) engines of different power output will lose the same percentage of power through the exactly same drivetrain.

Example.....a 400hp versus a 600hp engine will lose the same power through the drivetrain if using the same drivetrain.

Everything I've seen points to LSx engines losing about 45 hp (plus or minus a few) through a Corvette/Camaro M6.....regardless as to the power output of the engine.

KW
G Atsma (02-14-2022)
Old 02-14-2022, 08:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by KW Baraka
Actually, I been tryin' to tell people for YEARS that the X% of drivetrain loss was BS. I mean....there's absolutely no logic whatsoever in the idea that two similar (lets say LSx) engines of different power output will lose the same percentage of power through the exactly same drivetrain.

Example.....a 400hp versus a 600hp engine will lose the same power through the drivetrain if using the same drivetrain.

Everything I've seen points to LSx engines losing about 45 hp (plus or minus a few) through a Corvette/Camaro M6.....regardless as to the power output of the engine.

KW
My 310 hp stock to the air filter 250,000+ mile A4 02 Z28, agrees and likes your post! It made 280whp on fully warmed up on an updated and calibrated DynoJet dyno.

GM Crate version of LS1 was rated 335hp

Fun w/numbers
335hp - 45 hp = 290 hp sounds right for an M6
~10 hp less for an A4 ~= 280 hp
G Atsma (02-14-2022)
Old 02-14-2022, 12:19 PM
Launching!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

It is rather interesting take.

Why driveline horsepower loss is calculated proportionally to engine output?

As an example, if there is 50hp driveline loss on 400hp engine, why would the same driveline proportionally absorb 100hp on 800hp engine?
The following 2 users liked this post by cino:
G Atsma (02-14-2022), grinder11 (02-14-2022)
Old 02-15-2022, 02:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 605 Likes on 481 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

It’s a ratio. Not a set amount. If you start with more, it will absorb more. This is why everyone says % instead of say….. F-bodies loose 20% whereas Vettes only loose 15%. Start with less, it absorbs less. %

Quick Reply: LS427/570 LS7 from GMPP - Experience or Discussion