Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Cam plate chamfering

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2022, 05:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cam plate chamfering

I have an ls2 I’m putting in an ls1 car. My JP timing kit says the cam plate needs to be machined. Does this have to happen or can I just use a file?
thanks
Old 05-02-2022, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 738 Likes on 511 Posts

Certain cam sprockets, particularly ones with Torrington bearings, require the retainer plate to have that chamfer to clear the inside "feature" of the bearing. Extreme precision is not required. You should be able to look at it and see how much material has to be relieved. It's usually not very much at all. Seems like the eeeeezy way to do it would be a die grinder and a rotary sanding drum. Somebody posted about this recently where they found a cutter to put in their end mill to do it, which made a very professional appearance.
Old 05-05-2022, 04:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 481 Likes on 332 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by RB04Av
Certain cam sprockets, particularly ones with Torrington bearings, require the retainer plate to have that chamfer to clear the inside "feature" of the bearing. Extreme precision is not required. You should be able to look at it and see how much material has to be relieved. It's usually not very much at all. Seems like the eeeeezy way to do it would be a die grinder and a rotary sanding drum. Somebody posted about this recently where they found a cutter to put in their end mill to do it, which made a very professional appearance.
That was me and it was in this thread. The JP Performance and the Rollmaster are basically the same timing sets. Its all owned by the same larger company. (norndaautomotive) The only thing I have not been able to confirm is if they use the same series of chain or if there is a difference between the two.\ product lines.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-question.html

Quick Reply: Cam plate chamfering