Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

L99 P0336 on hot oil

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2023, 01:34 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question L99 P0336 on hot oil

2011 chevy camaro SS 6.2 L99 stock 116K mileage.
I'm constantly haunted by this problem. After good driving (when I sit on the throttle pedal) car dont start correctly. I have slow cranking and Servise Stabilitrack comes on without CEL. With scanner I can see P0336 error. I have already replaced crank sensor several moth ago but issue remains.

Maked heat shield for the starter (this one), replaced negative battery wire, maked additional negative wire for the starter but nothing helps.

Could it be rod bearings issue ? When I drive as usual everything is OK (even when oil temp rises up to 250F) , but when I sit on the throttle and drive in Competitive Mode, I have this problem.

Old 09-07-2023, 03:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1,186 Likes on 826 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by PlymouthBarracuda
2011 chevy camaro SS 6.2 L99 stock 116K mileage.
I'm constantly haunted by this problem. After good driving (when I sit on the throttle pedal) car dont start correctly. I have slow cranking and Servise Stabilitrack comes on without CEL. With scanner I can see P0336 error. I have already replaced crank sensor several moth ago but issue remains.

Maked heat shield for the starter (this one), replaced negative battery wire, maked additional negative wire for the starter but nothing helps.

Could it be rod bearings issue ? When I drive as usual everything is OK (even when oil temp rises up to 250F) , but when I sit on the throttle and drive in Competitive Mode, I have this problem.

I had ONE HELLUVA TIME with my 2000 C5, which has a torque tube, and the flex plate has a pinch bolt that clamps the female splines of the flex plate onto the male splines of the input shaft of the tube. Not familiar with the Fbody setup, BUT-If you have a similar pinch bolt/clamp arrangement, you MUST release the pinch bolt to check for crank endplay!!! My car threw the P0336 code ONLY once coolant temp hit 186°F. Hope this helps, and if you want to discuss it more, PM me, and I'll get back to you ASAP......
Old 09-07-2023, 05:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 478 Likes on 368 Posts

Has the smell of a Voltage drop , The Antilock and TC systems in many many cars get angry at about 11 volts.
Old 09-07-2023, 10:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
Has the smell of a Voltage drop , The Antilock and TC systems in many many cars get angry at about 11 volts.
A lot of people advised me to replace battery with 800+ CCA. But I don't see the relations between hot engine and bad battery)
Anyway I should replace battery
Old 09-07-2023, 10:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by grinder11
I had ONE HELLUVA TIME with my 2000 C5, which has a torque tube, and the flex plate has a pinch bolt that clamps the female splines of the flex plate onto the male splines of the input shaft of the tube. Not familiar with the Fbody setup, BUT-If you have a similar pinch bolt/clamp arrangement, you MUST release the pinch bolt to check for crank endplay!!! My car threw the P0336 code ONLY once coolant temp hit 186°F. Hope this helps, and if you want to discuss it more, PM me, and I'll get back to you ASAP......
My car is stock and I did nothing with crankshaft. Yes, I've pulled harmonic balancer several times but I don't think this is the reason.
I hear a constant thud from the engine when I sit inside but it's impossible to capture on camera.
I know that crank bearings has the same symptoms :hard start on hot engine
Old 09-08-2023, 11:05 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
Car has an usual volts parameters. Maybe it drops lower than 11V, I dont know (( Very strange.
Additional ground was made for the starter and engine but today again i looked to a slow cranking and no start after I have sit on the throttle pedal on highway

Old 09-11-2023, 10:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1,186 Likes on 826 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by PlymouthBarracuda
My car is stock and I did nothing with crankshaft. Yes, I've pulled harmonic balancer several times but I don't think this is the reason.
I hear a constant thud from the engine when I sit inside but it's impossible to capture on camera.
I know that crank bearings has the same symptoms :hard start on hot engine
All I'm saying is, if you want to check crank end play, you must loosen the pinch bolt, if so equipped, to accurately check crank end play.

Quick Reply: L99 P0336 on hot oil