Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

3 valve heads- advantages and disadvantages

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 12:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is my only real concern too, the secondary pushrod just looks like its going to be a big weak link to me. Im by no mean an expert though.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
My biggest ocncern with eh 3 valve head is that the entire thing looks fragile to me for racing purposes, that 2nd pushrod for the exhaust valve is a little scary, and the lifter for the 2 intake valves is gonna have to be really beefy to take the abuse of high rate springs, which makes for a heavier valvetrain. I thought that heavy valvetrain was the one downside of a pushrod motor, it looks like they are making the entire valvetrain even heavier than normal Has anyone else thought about this?
Very Interesting point.
Old 09-03-2004, 02:28 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm not engineer either, but I do know a thing or 2 about a motor, and what I am thinking is that ohv or multi valve motors are usually designed to get more air flow with smaller valves, which in turn results in a lighter valvetrain, and the ability to go to higher rpm's. Look at the dohc 4.6 motor of Ford's(am not a ford lover, so don't think that I am with this statement), the power of that motor is all in the upper rpm range,which is possible because fo a lighter valvetrain, hence why guys spin that motor over 6800 on a normal basis and is why it is good for supercharged street applications. With the weight of the valvetrain on this new vette/judge motor, I am really wondering what's going on. Also, with the cam spec on that judge motor, the exhaust is gonna have to be ope alot longer to make up for the added volume that is going in due to the dual intake valves. Look at it like this, a set of ehads that flow 320 cfm in and 240 out make way more power with a cam that has a longer exhaust duration. That's probably why the cam split is the way that it is.
Old 09-03-2004, 05:01 PM
11 Second Club

Whoever said "hey lets put two intake valves on one rocker, and two pushrods on the exhaust" should be kicked, beaten, dragged through GM headquarters, and then laid to rest like the F-body.
I'll let him know next time he stops by the shop
Old 09-03-2004, 05:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Another_User
Whoever said "hey lets put two intake valves on one rocker, and two pushrods on the exhaust" should be kicked, beaten, dragged through GM headquarters, and then laid to rest like the F-body.
You should apply for an engineering job in GM's powerplant division, since you obviously know a lot more than they do!
Old 09-03-2004, 06:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

the four valve heads i know about uses one push rod to push the two intake and exhaust. sweet deal if you ask me
Old 09-03-2004, 06:41 PM
TECH Addict

Last edited by Another_User; 09-03-2004 at 07:21 PM.
Old 09-03-2004, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

will the mass of that bar really make a diffrence? is it hollow that would make a diffrence as well. just curious do you think the sts turbo kit is crap as well?
Old 09-03-2004, 07:22 PM
TECH Addict

:::bored of this conversation::: We will see how those heads work out.
Old 09-03-2004, 07:29 PM
On The Tree

We will see how those heads work out.
That's kind of what it boils down to, isn't it. The heads aren't out yet, so it's a little early to call them crap.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Like someone else said since there are 2 intake valves they will be lighter than one large intake valve, meaning the spring pressures will be lower on the 2 intake valves as opposed to the one large intake valve. The setup shown in the picture looks like it will support regular spring upgrades like the current LS1-6 can. For hardcore people who will want to run huge .600+ cams they'll probably have to upgrade to a future aftermarket rocker system like the current Jessel etc. I'm sure the aftermarket will jump all over the rocker system as soon as the 3V heads come out.

I see the 3 vavle heads as the next big step for OHC engines. Just like the LS1-6 were a huge step forward, the 3V will be an equally huge step forward. The only possible problem I see is port velocity at low lift levels, but with 6.0L being the smallest LS2 based engine, even large ports shouldn't be a problem on an engine that large. The increased hp picked up in the mid-upper rpm range will more than outweigh any low down hit the larger port area causes. The Dodge boys probably thought they had the upper hand in the OHV engine market with their Hemi, but I'd be willing to bet this design will top the Hemi's pretty easily. GM has the best powertrain development of the big 3, I have faith they can make it work better than anyone else could.
Old 09-04-2004, 10:47 AM
On The Tree

Here is what someone on another forum had to say about the 2V vs 3V debate:
The benefit of a 2 vavle head at low rpm is that with only one vavle open the air fuel mixes better in the combustion chamber. This helps out at low and mid range rpms, in order for motors hat use 3,4,or 5 vavles to have comparable low range torque and power they depend on complex system's. In the LT5 it used a complicated, expensive, computer-controlled, secondary throttle system in order to get the same low rpm torque of a OHV motor. If they would want this 3 vavle head to perform the same as a 2 vavle design at low rpms they will need something similar.
This doesn't sound like it's necessarily true, but I don't claim to be an expert. If he is right, can anyone explain this to me?
Old 09-04-2004, 10:55 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Z06Cam
Here is what someone on another forum had to say about the 2V vs 3V debate:

This doesn't sound like it's necessarily true, but I don't claim to be an expert. If he is right, can anyone explain this to me?
The point (which GM forgot) is that at low RPMs you want to keep air velocity up, so you only run 1 valve. The then you open the other valve (hmmm...maybe they should have used DOHC) after certain conditions are met. This allows for improved low-mid range torque, and increased horsepower.

It's kind of like what has been done on engines in the past where you have an additional throttle blade that opens up allowing more air in, except only at later RPMs, except you are doing it in the head.
Old 09-04-2004, 11:07 AM
On The Tree

The point (which GM forgot) is that at low RPMs you want to keep air velocity up, so you only run 1 valve. The then you open the other valve (hmmm...maybe they should have used DOHC) after certain conditions are met. This allows for improved low-mid range torque, and increased horsepower.
Doesn't air flow faster through a smaller valve than it does through a larger one?

If this is the case, to what RPM (ballpark) would a head with 1 intake valve have an advantage over one with 2 intake valves? For example, if the only advantage is below 2K RPMs, who cares? It's not like we're going to use our Corvette to tow a trailer.

It's kind of like what has been done on engines in the past where you have an additional throttle blade that opens up allowing more air in, except only at later RPMs, except you are doing it in the head.
Like the LT5, right? The guy I quoted earlier did mention that.
Old 09-04-2004, 12:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Z06Cam
Doesn't air flow faster through a smaller valve than it does through a larger one?

If this is the case, to what RPM (ballpark) would a head with 1 intake valve have an advantage over one with 2 intake valves? For example, if the only advantage is below 2K RPMs, who cares? It's not like we're going to use our Corvette to tow a trailer.

Like the LT5, right? The guy I quoted earlier did mention that.
It depends on how much power you want to make, and where you want it. The kind of power it would make would be power you would feel on the street. That's what you want to sell. It would be particularly benificial in four-cylinders, or other "torque-challenged" cars.

Quick Reply: 3 valve heads- advantages and disadvantages