LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Generation IV Internal Engine (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iv-internal-engine-80/)
-   -   IRS for f-bods (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iv-internal-engine/230785-irs-f-bods.html)

cueball 10-24-2004 07:43 AM

IRS for f-bods

I was thinking, would the IRS for the GTO fit the F-body cars with min.
modifications to the F-body?
just something for you guys to think about trying. :secret2: :drive:

Patrick G 10-24-2004 08:27 AM

Is your goal for better handling or smoother ride? It certainly couldn't be for decreased weight or better drag racing launches.

cueball 10-24-2004 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by cueball

not for me, i was just wondering, i remembered
some other people asking about the IRS from the corvette, thought the IRS from the GTO would be easier to install than the unit from the vette.
just a thought, trying to get some opinions about it.
;)

slow 10-24-2004 10:32 PM

i don't think its possible to do.

in reality, its not something that can be done with good results, without major fabrication, look at the other chassis that dates back 25 years and see how the bolt in irs works ;) (mustang)

Ryan

Squat13 10-25-2004 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by slow
i don't think its possible to do.

in reality, its not something that can be done with good results, without major fabrication, look at the other chassis that dates back 25 years and see how the bolt in irs works ;) (mustang)

Ryan

:wrongforu Im sorry but thats just the wrong attitude. Ive seen a C3 IRS under a 73' Vega Hatch back with two 4's on a tunnel ram stick out the hood. The thing would just squat and GO.

I just think you dont know how to weld and have no imagination. Cutting up cars and peicing them together is what this hobby is all about. Thats how it started, with Tommy Ivo sticking a 401 NailHead Buick V-8 on a 32' Ford Model A Frame with a 27' Model T Body.

Any way if I were trying to stick a IRS under the rear I would do what all the 50- something "Diaper Rod Rubbers" do and buy a IRS system aftermarket.

Phoenix 5.7 10-25-2004 12:49 PM

the gto has a really complicated IRS from what ive seen.

ChiefBrody 10-25-2004 06:40 PM

http://www.transamgta.com/FireFox/

It was done before, so with a little imagination it could be done.

Phoenix 5.7 10-25-2004 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by ChiefBrody
http://www.transamgta.com/FireFox/

It was done before, so with a little imagination it could be done.

Yeah with factory money.

firefighter 10-27-2004 08:48 AM

My understanding in the beginning when they brought the GTO out was the diff was suspect. Prolly one out of a C5 would be better. There are also companies out there that put a full C5 suspension under a old '55-'57 shoebox so anything can be done if you want to.

J-Rod 10-27-2004 08:55 AM

The stock GTO IRS is very prone to breakage. Most Aussies put a spool in the more serious cars...

SSCamaro99_3 10-27-2004 10:00 AM

http://www.quarter-mile.net/images/I...IRS_index.html

TheBlurLS1 10-27-2004 10:21 AM

rad rides by troy has a 32' ford with all wheel drive.

i think it has somthing like a c5, only in the front!! they call it the quadradeuce, i think its pushing like 650 hp. a little imagination, skill, and alot of money can get you anything.

cueball 10-28-2004 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1

i think it has somthing like a c5, only in the front!! they call it the quadradeuce, i think its pushing like 650 hp. a little imagination, skill, and alot of money can get you anything.

thanks for the reply guys ;)

drmotorhead 10-30-2004 11:47 PM

If you are going to go to the trouble of an irs conversion for an fbody, I would use a C5 rear over a C4(or anything else). It has the tranny in the back, which improves weight distribution. You might as well grab the LS1 if your fbody does not already have one. Then again, if you do both, it would probably be cheaper to just get a C5. You can get a good one for mid to low 20's these days.

vettedude 10-31-2004 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1

no it is a S-10 setup uop front, with the C5 rear end out back...

beertestr 11-04-2004 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by cueball

ANYTHING can be done, but why? On a road course an F-body with the right SLP suspension parts, better front brakes, and good track rubber can run pretty close to a C5 (not Z06) on track rubber. I've seen it done.

Believe it or not, the stock axle is the lightest OEM suspension setup out there. Yeah, there is more unsprung weight than an independent, but the total mass compared to an IRS is usually less... and cheaper.

That said, I have driven both an F-body and a GTO at the limit, and the GTO will always feel more planted, the F-body takes more attention if trailbraking into a bumpy turn, the axle likes to tramp around, and you need a little more steering input to keep the car under control, but it has a higher lateral g capability. I ran my GTO with some retired A-sedan F-bodies (3rd gen, but same suspension as 4th gen) and it they could flat out corner me.

On a tight back road, with less run off room, I always seem to run the f-body a little easier than the GTO. YOu just can push the GTO closer to it's limit and not worry about the tail dancing around..

I am not a big fan of F-bodies <duck> on the street, but they are damn fun track cars..