LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Generation IV Internal Engine (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iv-internal-engine-80/)
-   -   LS2 water pump? (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iv-internal-engine/235279-ls2-water-pump.html)

LS1S10 11-05-2004 12:49 PM

LS2 water pump?

Anybody know if it would work with vette accesories on a LS1? From the pics i've seen it looks like it bolts directly up to a LS1, but the pulley is really different. Instead of the overly large pulley on the LS1's that stick WAY the hell out in the front, this one is pretty much flat..like they either have a seperate water pump for the vette now or all the LS2 vehicles run the same accessory distance from the front of the block. Im asking this because in my swap, im a little pressed for space using the stock LS1 power steering cooler because its hitting the front portion of the water pump pulley.

LS1S10 11-05-2004 12:58 PM

I just got off the phone with the dealer and they want $298 for the pump, they said its a new reduced mass design....so im guessin it weighs a few ounces less than the old water pump. Looking at the post "LS2 on the inside" it looks like all the accesories are the same and haven't changed position, so im thinking about going out on a limb and buying one.

Oscar Will 11-05-2004 03:21 PM

I just finished installing an LS-2 pump on my 1935 Ford project. I had a clearance problem with that big ol pulley too. The only problem is that the C6 vette pulleys and belt are sucked in real close to the motor. To use my 1998 F body accessories I had to use a puller to move the pulley on the LS-2 pump forward about 3/8" so my belt would align. The pump weighs about 10 pounds, my old LS-1 pump weighs 13 pounds. Everything else in relation to the pump lined up perfectly......and wait til you see that spiffy machined outlet.....major wow factor.

Nasty N8 11-05-2004 07:18 PM

The LS2 pump is redused mass but in doing so it uses cheap crap shaft and bearings. Evans was working on the pump to improove it and through it out. The mod is to use a LS1 pump on a LS2 not the other way around. You want a better pump buy a Evans LS1 mod pump.

Nate

LS1S10 11-05-2004 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Oscar Will
I just finished installing an LS-2 pump on my 1935 Ford project. I had a clearance problem with that big ol pulley too. The only problem is that the C6 vette pulleys and belt are sucked in real close to the motor. To use my 1998 F body accessories I had to use a puller to move the pulley on the LS-2 pump forward about 3/8" so my belt would align. The pump weighs about 10 pounds, my old LS-1 pump weighs 13 pounds. Everything else in relation to the pump lined up perfectly......and wait til you see that spiffy machined outlet.....major wow factor.

This really shouldn't be a problem for me because im using the vette accesories for clearance of my steering gear box. So now that i know it bolts up perfectly, i'll go by the dealer tomorrow and order one.

And im not really doing this because im looking for a better water pump....just an easy fix to my clearance issue's with that big ole LS1 water pump pulley, plus IMO it just looks cleaner with the flat pulley that's inline with the rest of the accessories.

Oscar Will 11-08-2004 05:56 PM

That's why I'm using the LS-2 pump also, I don't need a "better" pump........I just need more room for my fans! After all, this car is just a "cruiser" anyway.

93LS1RX7 11-09-2004 06:23 AM

Why not just use an EWP?

Oscar Will 11-09-2004 09:23 AM

It's easier for me to use "off the shelf" OEM stuff, especially running all the accessories. Since this isn't a race car and I intend to use it for long rod runs, it just makes more sense to me to stay with the mechanical. The electric pumps are really great and efficient but not for my application.

KJ 11-09-2004 10:10 AM

Water Pump - #89017457 (Y-Body)
Pricing - $165.25ea
The 04 and 05 pumps look like they interchange with no problems. They use the same thermostat and it appears they have the same impeller internally. The castings are different; the 05 rear cover is a pressed-in cup while the 04 is a bolt-on piece with an o-ring seal. The pulleys are very different and it appears the large portion of the weight reduction comes from the change in pulley styles. The O.D. of the pulley has not changed. If someone wants to lose a quick 3.2lbs off of the front of their car, then bolt-on the new water pump. The new pump weighs 10.25lbs while the old LS1 water pump weighs 13.45lbs. There is no longer a provision to drill and tap for a temperature sender near the upper inlet on the pump. Do not forget that we have the new style thermostats in stock to fit the 2004 V8 engines and the new LS2.
160-degree thermostats #SD105160 - $24.95ea

LS1S10 11-09-2004 02:22 PM

I'll have to pick one of those thermostat's up from you guys....im wanting a 160 degree anyway. I just ordered my water pump from the dealer today. My buddy hooked me up and i paid $195 bucks for it which was $30 over cost, list on it was $289, i thought i had made out like a bandit until i read the above post :( . Looks like i'll learn to shop around before hopping on the dealer's wagon.