Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

05 M6 LS2 GTO drivetrain swap into 04 A4 LS1 GTO? *Questions*

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 02:29 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 M6 LS2 GTO drivetrain swap into 04 A4 LS1 GTO? *Questions*

Hey Guys,

I've come across an opportunity to purchase a wrecked 2005 GTO. I've been racking my brain the last few weeks to determine what / if anything I want to do with this car.

The thought I keep coming back to is if I want to swap the LS2 / M6 into my A4 LS1 GTO. Search results and/or discussion on LS1GTO.Com has been mediocre pulling in some obscure responses:

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47288

I did search all the topics in this specific forum and found this one:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iv-internal-engine/422362-we-need-somebody-test-our-prototype-ls2-cam-knock-sensor-adapter-harness.html

The plan would be to remain with the LS6 Intake on the LS2 motor and LS1 engine management. I do have an LS1 cam that I was planning to install in the LS1, but the thought of possibly a cammed / stroker LS2 instead has me salivating at the possibilities.

Extenuating Circumstances: I'm in Germany and do not have easy access to large items that can't be shipped through USPS. So to find such a thing as a wrecked 05 so close to home is like finding the proverbial needle in the haystack.

Can anyone shed some light on the issue? Any vendors want to step up and offer a solution package?

Pictures of wrecked car:

*Scroll Down to Bottom* http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56531
Old 01-09-2006, 12:32 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can use the motor quite easily. Look at the Ls2 retrofit parts for the 402 strokers that folks like SDPC are doing. You'll end up using most everyting, but just check to make sure the sesnors from the 05 are the same. If there are any questions, reatin the 04 part, and swap it over.

Use your Ls6 intake, and the stock TB, you won't need the drive by wire.

You might consider using the 05 rear and half shafts as they are upgraded over the 2004. Alos, you might consider using the '05 exhaust (Duals).

all in all its an easy swap.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:14 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by J-Rod
You can use the motor quite easily. Look at the Ls2 retrofit parts for the 402 strokers that folks like SDPC are doing. You'll end up using most everyting, but just check to make sure the sesnors from the 05 are the same. If there are any questions, reatin the 04 part, and swap it over.

Use your Ls6 intake, and the stock TB, you won't need the drive by wire.

You might consider using the 05 rear and half shafts as they are upgraded over the 2004. Alos, you might consider using the '05 exhaust (Duals).

all in all its an easy swap.
the rear end and halfshafts are upgraded, what did they do to upgrade them, this is the first i have heard of this

Quick Reply: 05 M6 LS2 GTO drivetrain swap into 04 A4 LS1 GTO? *Questions*