Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Just rolled over my new 402, no oil pressure, and bent dipstick?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 11:51 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So can't you get a filter relocation kit? With all the time and money you spent so far. You should at least give it a try and prime the oiling system. You can then fire it up and see it that thing holds oil pressure. Hope you don't have to tear it down.

Good luck.
Old 05-29-2006, 02:03 PM
TECH Regular

V-10. Did you put the o-rings on the valley cover? I've seen a lot of guys doing the swap forget these and get no oil pressure. I had an LS2 when I got my stroker so I just swapped over all the covers with gaskets. I think they ship the valley cover with no gaskets and folks forget.

My TSP 402 runs well.
Old 05-29-2006, 02:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know anything about o-rings in the valley cover. I got the block and ls2 cover new, and didn't see any extra o-rings. Anyone have a picture of where they're supposed to go in the valley?

But that still doesn't explain why I couldn't even get enough oil to fill my oil filter.
Old 05-29-2006, 02:41 PM
TECH Regular

Was the valley cover on the block? If it was then it probably had the gaskets. My motor is back together. If you filped the valley cover over there is an outer gasket, then round o-ring looking things around the middle of the cover. If those aren't there you won't get any oil pressure. Its like a vertical oil galley.

If you installed the pump correctly and you got the o-ring on the pickup then you should be good there. I heard that GM had a better o-ring for the pickup tube so I went and got one and sure enough it was a little larger. That's not going to cause 0 pressure, but its something to keep in mind if you have to take it apart. I don't trust electric gauges so before you tear the thing apart I'd stick a cheapo mech on there to verify. You'll probably have to take the intake off the get to it so pull the valley cover off and see if all the seals are there. ~I don't get much pressure when cranking.

Oh, and I'm not sure how the oiling works. If you can't get it to prime because you are missing something the filter may not fill up... I dunno. Does the F-body have the oil cooler lines that bolt up to the filter area?
Old 05-29-2006, 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oil pressure wouldn't concern me as much as the diptstick tube. I'd leave the dipstick out and start it for 15 secs.
Old 05-29-2006, 06:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am in a similar situation only that mine is a stock LS1 that has not been started in 2 1/2 years. I cranked it a couple times (non more than 5-7 seconds) and did not get any oil pressure. I am waiting on my PCM so that I can fire the engine.......Instead of trying to build pressure by cranking, I will just start it up and give it 10 seconds. If there is still no oil pressure, then I will get worried.......otherwise I think cranking it for too long without starting is not a good thing.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:00 PM
11 Second Club

The valley cover came in a seperate box from the shortblock. I didn't install anything more than the valley cover gasket so I probably need to pull that and install them anyway. Anyone have a part number or pic of the bottom of the cover or top of the block where they are supposed to be installed? How many o-rings are there?
Old 05-29-2006, 07:20 PM
Launching!

i had to crank my old cavalier motor for about 25 seconds before it built pressure ( on the new motors)...I'd just crank it for a while....if u said the needle moved a little bit, it will build pressure, just takes a while. Everytime u quit cranking...u lose all that pressure and are starting over again (until the motor has been ran and everything is lubricated and pumped up, etc.)
Old 05-31-2006, 06:19 AM
11 Second Club

Ok, I talked to Brian at SDPC again, and he doesn't know anything about these valley cover o-rings. Are they something that only come on blocks already prepped for D.O.D.? I think mine had the bosses, but weren't drilled or machined. Can anyone give me a part number or some pics of where they install or something???
Old 05-31-2006, 08:10 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by V-10 Killer
Ok, I talked to Brian at SDPC again, and he doesn't know anything about these valley cover o-rings. Are they something that only come on blocks already prepped for D.O.D.? I think mine had the bosses, but weren't drilled or machined. Can anyone give me a part number or some pics of where they install or something???
maybe this will help you.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...=498002&page=2
Old 05-31-2006, 08:42 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by _HAVOC_
Both of the plugs pictured at the bottom are installed. What I'm asking is, what o-rings are under the valley cover??? I talked to the local GM parts department and they don't see any o-rings under the valley cover on the LS2 block, just the main gasket.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe pull a valvecover?
Old 05-31-2006, 04:32 PM
10 Second Club

Both of the plugs pictured at the bottom are installed. What I'm asking is, what o-rings are under the valley cover??? I talked to the local GM parts department and they don't see any o-rings under the valley cover on the LS2 block, just the main gasket.
Never heard of o-rings. Maybe he means the rubber seals around the knock sensors? If so, they should have been part of the valley. You have to remember man, your motor is bone dry inside, it'll take awhile to build pressure, 4-5 second bursts wont do anything. It really needs to be started. If you pay any kind of attention to your work I'm sure you would have noticed a pinched o-ring, or more than required force when hooking up the pick-up tube to the oil pump. If you only have a few oz. in your filter, and you didnt put any oil in it at first, some oil is moving, but again, 5 seconds wont do anything. It really should just b e started, if you dont have pressure with in 5 secs, shut it off.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:12 PM
11 Second Club

I was just hoping that the oil in the filter didn't just drain down from pouring on the rockers somehow, but it is there. I'll try firing it for a few seconds and see what happens. If I don't get anything quick, I'll plan on changing out the o-ring. I picked one up today just in case...
Old 05-31-2006, 05:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I say start it up and let it run for a good 10 seconds, I will bet your oil pressure will jump right up =D
Old 05-31-2006, 11:27 PM
10 Second Club

The knock sensors for the LS2 block are not located in the valley of the block, they are on side of the block near the motor mounts. The LS2 valley cover is similar to the LS6 cover, and I don't remember any o-rings in there that would affect engine oiling.

V-10 - Prime the system and start it up. You might have a couple of seconds with little pressure, but just start it up.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:54 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by DrkPhx
The knock sensors for the LS2 block are not located in the valley of the block, they are on side of the block near the motor mounts. The LS2 valley cover is similar to the LS6 cover, and I don't remember any o-rings in there that would affect engine oiling.
:doh: Dunno why I was imagining the wrong block.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:53 AM
11 Second Club

I was also thinking that in the back of my mind when I was on the phone with the GM Parts dept guy. Oh well. Anyway, last night I did fire it up, and it took almost 5 seconds but the oil pressure jumped right up to 50 psi. So I guess the concensus is: "It isn't effective to just bump the the starter (with the spark plugs in) for a few seconds each because there aren't enough sustained rpms to really draw any oil into the oil pump and create flow."

I only got to run it for ~20 seconds, then I realized that I didn't have one of my power steering hoses tight. Now I have to go over today and degrease my engine compartment. But for that 20 seconds, let me tell ya, that thing sounds f@#king awesome!
Old 06-01-2006, 08:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

I was also thinking that in the back of my mind when I was on the phone with the GM Parts dept guy. Oh well. Anyway, last night I did fire it up, and it took almost 5 seconds but the oil pressure jumped right up to 50 psi. So I guess the concensus is: "It isn't effective to just bump the the starter (with the spark plugs in) for a few seconds each because there aren't enough sustained rpms to really draw any oil into the oil pump and create flow."

I only got to run it for ~20 seconds, then I realized that I didn't have one of my power steering hoses tight. Now I have to go over today and degrease my engine compartment. But for that 20 seconds, let me tell ya, that thing sounds f@#king awesome!
Glad its all sorted out!
Old 06-01-2006, 09:06 AM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Mine did the same exact thing. 1,200 miles later I still have excellent oil pressure (unported oil pump). Now clean it up and drive it!

Quick Reply: Just rolled over my new 402, no oil pressure, and bent dipstick?!?!?