Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

6.0 + L92 Heads + Carb = streetable build for under $6k?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 11:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.0 + L92 Heads + Carb = streetable build for under $6k?

I am looking to build a mild LSX to retrofit into a 67 Camaro within a budget of 5k-6k. What I want to accomplish is the following:

- Around 500 streetable hp at the flywheel.
- Carburated Intake (mostly for cost, but partially for asthetic reasons).
- Enough vacuum to keep the power brakes working fine.

The build would be based on:

- 6L truck block, preferably LQ9
- L92 Heads without any porting
- Carburated Intake with appropriately sized carb (probably 750 CFM)
- Cam TBD, but preferrably on the mild side

Here is my line of thinking:

There probably isn't a better starting point than an LS type engine for building serious streetable power in a GM car. The L92 heads should prove to be a great starting place based on the flow numbers under .600" lift, but the minimum bore that will work with them is a 4.0", so I need either an LS2, an LQ4 or an LQ9. As I mentioned earlier, I would like to go with a carb, but that is ok since GM already released a carb intake.

Since the car isn't going to be for drag racing, I am not interested in getting every last drop of power, I just want something that will be easy to build, look a little different than everything else out there, and be a ton of fun to drive.

Now for my concerns:

I am basically trying to build an engine around the L92 heads based on their price/performance potential. Their are three potential problems here. The first is that the Carb. Intake is a single plane piece which I am guessing was probably designed more for racing than for streetability. The second is that while the heads fit on a 4.0" bore, that doesn't mean that they would work well on a mild 6.0L engine. The intake volume on these heads is HUGE, which isn't neccisarily a bad thing if they maintain decent velocity / flow characteristics at lower RPMs, but I worry that they might be too big for 6 liters. The third and final issue is of cost. I am not looking to spend a ton of money here (one of the main reasons I am attracted to the L92 heads is their low cost). I guess I could just pick up an Carburated LS2 Crate engine for around $5,600, but where is the fun in that?

So what do you guys think? Am I just throwing parts together that won't work? Is my budget unrealistic? Are my goals out of line? If so, what would be the best way to do what I am looking to do?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts,

Greg Hamlin
Old 12-26-2006, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have about $6500 in mine, LS2 403 L92 heads (untouched), and L76 intake, i'll probably push 7000 by the time its running completely
Old 12-27-2006, 07:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had nearly 9-10k in the last stroker (408 iron) i had..including fuel system and everything. With the price of shortblocks now...and these heads....under 6-7k for the same 500+rwhp motors of a year or 2 ago is gonna be possible.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:44 AM
TECH Regular

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...ine_l92_heads/

the carb l92 manifold + ls2 short block + l92 heads + 232/236 cam = 545 crank ponies.
Plus the torque curve is just f'n nice too.
It would probably have been better with a 232/240 or 232/244 cam and have the heads tweaked on the exhaust side but still it should exceed what you are looking for in price and performance.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:39 PM
Teching In

Bring the Noise:

Thanks for the link. I read the article, but since they were running fuel injection through the carb intake, I don't know if it really answers my question with regards to the streetability issue. FI can do a lot to tame a motor running with a single plane intake.

My concern remains the viability of running a street car with power brakes, power steering and AC with this motor/intake combo.

Anyone have a clue how much vacuum you could pull down with a carb on this thing?

Also, does anyone have an idea what RPM range the intake was designed for?

Greg
Old 01-01-2007, 01:12 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 67 Rally Sport
Bring the Noise:

Thanks for the link. I read the article, but since they were running fuel injection through the carb intake, I don't know if it really answers my question with regards to the streetability issue. FI can do a lot to tame a motor running with a single plane intake.

My concern remains the viability of running a street car with power brakes, power steering and AC with this motor/intake combo.

Anyone have a clue how much vacuum you could pull down with a carb on this thing?

Also, does anyone have an idea what RPM range the intake was designed for?

Greg
more vacuum means less lope and overlap on the cam.... so basically take a look at the current dynos with this setup and Fuel Injection to get an idea of what people are getting from the L92's.... one guy with 116+2 and a .590's lift cam did 495/490 or so with almost stockheads. I assume the single plane is designed for 4600-7000 rpm vs the car manifold being around 3500-6000 rpm.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:40 PM
FormerVendor

I think you can do it, but it sure would be nice to use a LS2 al block.
The Wegner/GM carb intake is very streetable and they (Wegner) have everything you need to run it without PCM. I know a guy that builds these things routinely.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Depending on what rotating assembly you are using, it should be a piece of cake to hit your price. I just bought a 6.0 truck iron block for $300. It was a dealer takeout for piston slap, and as far as we could tell there wasn't a thing wrong with it (other than piston slap). If you could get something like that, you could just hone it and re-ring it and get WAY under your price point. Or just replace the pistons and reuse the stock crank and rods.

-Geoff
Old 01-03-2007, 08:29 AM
Teching In

Default Wegner Web Site Address?

Is there a website for Wegner?
Old 01-03-2007, 08:40 AM
FormerVendor

http://www.wegnerautomotive2.com/
Old 01-03-2007, 11:24 AM
Teching In

Thanks!

Quick Reply: 6.0 + L92 Heads + Carb = streetable build for under $6k?