Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

.800 to .900 lift for a 100% street car....anyone doing it with success?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Patrick G
This is a ridiculous thread. If you don't have one single good response in 24 hours, I'm locking this thread and giving you a one week vacation for starting another worthless thread. Good luck.

Amazing, just amazing.

Again we prove Lord Acton correct.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quicken, you're one hell of a guy.

Giving that motor to your friend is a real nice thing to do.

More power to ya!
Old 06-05-2007, 05:22 PM
LS1 Tech Administrator

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Old SStroker
Amazing, just amazing.

Again we prove Lord Acton correct.
For those not familiar:
“Federalism is the best curb on democracy. [It] assigns limited powers to the central government. Thereby all power is limited. It excludes absolute power of the majority.” — Lord Acton

Good one!

2013 Corvette Grand Sport A6 LME forged 416, Greg Good ported TFS 255 LS3 heads, 222/242 .629"/.604" 121LSA Pat G blower cam, ARH 1 7/8" headers, ESC Novi 1500 Supercharger w/8 rib direct drive conversion, 747rwhp/709rwtq on 93 octane, 801rwhp/735rwtq on race fuel, 10.1 @ 147.25mph 1/4 mile, 174.7mph Half Mile.
2016 Corvette Z51 M7 Magnuson Heartbeat 2300 supercharger, TSP LT headers, Pat G tuned, 667rwhp, 662rwtq, 191mph TX Mile.
2009.5 Pontiac G8 GT 6.0L, A6, AFR 230v2 heads. 506rwhp/442rwtq. 11.413 @ 121.29mph 1/4 mile, 168.7mph TX Mile
2000 Pewter Ram Air Trans Am M6 heads/cam 508 rwhp/445 rwtq SAE, 183.092 TX Mile
2022 Cadillac Escalade 6.2L A10 S&B CAI, Corsa catback.
2023 Corvette 3LT Z51 soon to be modified.
Custom LSX tuning in person or via email press here.

Old 06-05-2007, 05:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remember the guys in high school who would always ask stupid questions just to get attention? I have always admired people who take the time to educate themselves about a subject before jumping in the pool that is empty cause it is full of sharks. Usually stupid questions are not replied to on this forum...the best snub is to turn around and walk away.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

For those not familiar:
“Federalism is the best curb on democracy. [It] assigns limited powers to the central government. Thereby all power is limited. It excludes absolute power of the majority.” — Lord Acton

Good one!

Holy Google search!

How is your car running? Just wondering?
Old 06-05-2007, 05:59 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TheLS1Kid

More power to ya!
Can I be your friend too Quicken???? Shhh, maybe he will give me a valve cover or something
Old 06-05-2007, 07:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TT632
It's all new old NASCAR stuff so you would think it could handle it since these things can go wide open during a 500 mile race.
You know what, my builder brought up NASCAR components when I was talking to him yesterday. He said the reason these types of lift won't work on the street is because of oiling at low rpm's and idle rpm's. He said these components get proper oiling anywhere above 4,000 rpm and thats why NASCAR engines can go 500 miles all out during a race. He said if this oiling issue could be figured out where these components could get oiled properly at low rpm's than you might see set-ups last on the street with these high lifts.

Last edited by Quickin; 06-05-2007 at 07:33 PM.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For those not familiar:

Good one!
ROFL!

I was referring to a much more famous quote from the Lord:

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely."
-Lord Acton, Letter to Bishop Mandell Creighton, 1887

I was trying to be subtle about it. Evidently subtlety doesn't work. Mods here have absolute power, and flaunt it. I hope my message is clear enough now.

Not true. We do not flaunt our power...

[For those who missed it:]
This is a ridiculous thread. If you don't have one single good response in 24 hours, I'm locking this thread and giving you a one week vacation for starting another worthless thread. Good luck.

Last edited by Ragtop 99; 06-08-2007 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Just for fun and good humor :)
Old 06-05-2007, 07:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TheLS1Kid

More power to ya!
I don't need the money from the sale, so I might as well give it to a cool guy who has helped me out alot with my car. Plus, he's into drag racing, I think he'll make one bad **** out of it.

Last edited by Quickin; 06-05-2007 at 08:04 PM.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Quickin
I don't need the money from the sale, so I might as well give it to a cool guy who has helped me out alot with my car. Plus, he's into drag racing, I think he'll make one bad **** out of it.

If he doesn't want it can I be 2nd in line? He's thinking about re-sleeving his own shortblock instead since he needs the internals of the motor to handle a 400-500 shot .
<---- One of Joes friends. BTW I'm j/k about being 2nd in line, well not really I want to get rid of my POS LT1. . BTW are you building an all motor car, turbo car, or blower car?
Old 06-05-2007, 08:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what a wonderful thread full of mdos being complete dicks.

thats all im gonna say other than ill be subscribing to this thread tyo see what he does come up with out of curiosity
Old 06-05-2007, 08:03 PM
Collections Hold

Default heads

Our canted valve head is very "streetable". For anyone who would ever wish to challenge that, be prepared to back up your information, "8500" RPM ness, I don't think so. 800+ lift is not ness to take advantage of these heads. They make their biggest gains before that anyhow. What Quicken was talking about building was a 454 cid engine to run around on the street with. With port volume just slightly larger than the LS7 and an intake valve that is .015 smaller than the LS7, It is a perfect candidate for a large displacement small block. I would guarentee that with a high 230 to low 240 duration cam split to a 114-116 lobe seperation cam with .650 lift would be a killer street engine with around 11.5- 12:1 compression. "Canted Valve" does not mean big, huge and unreliable. It means a rotated compound valve angle to better position the valves in the dumb round hole it is mounted to. We build these heads for all out racing as well as your street cars. Guys, you have to understand that the more efficient a cylinder head is, the less camshaft you need to run. As far as .800 -900 lift, I would not reccommend that unless you were prepared for a lot of maintenence. Without running a ton of duration with that amount of lift, it would be so aggressive and would want to break anything in its path.

cary
Old 06-05-2007, 08:06 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I was running 754/760 lift on the street until the 959 comp springs got the best of one of the roller bearings on one of the lifters. It had about 1000 street miles and probably 20-30 passes at the track. It lasted a couple of months. LOL
Old 06-05-2007, 08:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
If he doesn't want it can I be 2nd in line? He's thinking about re-sleeving his own shortblock instead since he needs the internals of the motor to handle a 400-500 shot .
<---- One of Joes friends. BTW I'm j/k about being 2nd in line, well not really I want to get rid of my POS LT1. . BTW are you building an all motor car, turbo car, or blower car?
Two motors, two different cars. Joe knows all about my TT engine and the shop building it. This 454ci will be sprayed and put into my current WS6 and replace my 436ci.

My 436 is perfect, except for the oil burning from needing new rings and a hone, otherwise its a perfectly running engine. I don't see why he can't spray it hard.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:49 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by cary et performance
Our canted valve head is very "streetable". For anyone who would ever wish to challenge that, be prepared to back up your information, "8500" RPM ness, I don't think so. 800+ lift is not ness to take advantage of these heads. They make their biggest gains before that anyhow. What Quicken was talking about building was a 454 cid engine to run around on the street with. With port volume just slightly larger than the LS7 and an intake valve that is .015 smaller than the LS7, It is a perfect candidate for a large displacement small block. I would guarentee that with a high 230 to low 240 duration cam split to a 114-116 lobe seperation cam with .650 lift would be a killer street engine with around 11.5- 12:1 compression. "Canted Valve" does not mean big, huge and unreliable. It means a rotated compound valve angle to better position the valves in the dumb round hole it is mounted to. We build these heads for all out racing as well as your street cars. Guys, you have to understand that the more efficient a cylinder head is, the less camshaft you need to run. As far as .800 -900 lift, I would not reccommend that unless you were prepared for a lot of maintenence. Without running a ton of duration with that amount of lift, it would be so aggressive and would want to break anything in its path.

cary

Cary I understand what you are saying.. but why not run something like your 240 heads for a motor like that.... is there anything to be really gained over the 240 to the canted valve for a street application?
Old 06-05-2007, 08:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

This thread is no more retarded than a
"is this a new si, tan interior, cam only, single bolt-on record?"
"how much power would my car make with XX sponsors cam?"
or
"How can I make my car handle great & be a drag strip hero?"

I see ridiculous threads on this site all the time..
Lets see some consistency in the moderation.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:42 PM
TECH Junkie

WOW.

this whole forum is about asking questions and to go out and flame somebody for asking a question is childish for anyone.. being your suppose to be setting a standard its just ******* rediculous

-grow up and get off your power trip.. no one respects ********

ALSO **** LIKE THAT MAKES ME NEVER WANT TO BUY FROM THUNDER IF THATS THE ATTIUDE THEIR EMPLOYEES HAVE...

For those not familiar:

Good one!
Old 06-05-2007, 10:17 PM
SSU Moderator

I've been on this site since about day 2, Quicken constantly brings up "pie-in-the-sky"-type stuff and tries to justify it...then never does a thing (hence the same ARE 436 he's had for years). That said, I don't care about the post, I can skip it if I want, my question is...why are you (Quicken) wanting a certain amount of lift? Did you just come up with some arbitrary number so you could say you had .900 lift one day? That's why this post is annoying.

No offense Q, I'm sure you are a nice guy, but your posts ARE annoying. You and I have gone though this before.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by cary et performance

cary
Hey Cary, man what did I start here. lol

So, something we didn't talk about yesterday on the phone....what lift would you recommend I run with the CV heads on the street. How high for longevity and reliability? Barry was thinking at first that I was planning on going for very high lift, which I actually assumed I had to do, so thats what I told him I wanted. Now that I've been schooled somewhat, what would you recommend? The CV's flow about 410 cfm @ .650, right? Which I assume would stomp an LS7 head @ .650.

He said the same thing you did about the cam being small and these CV heads still kicking ***.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:55 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Jpr5690
WOW.

this whole forum is about asking questions and to go out and flame somebody for asking a question is childish for anyone.. being your suppose to be setting a standard its just ******* rediculous

-grow up and get off your power trip.. no one respects ********

ALSO **** LIKE THAT MAKES ME NEVER WANT TO BUY FROM THUNDER IF THATS THE ATTIUDE THEIR EMPLOYEES HAVE...
Patrick does NOT work for Thunder. Has is basically a consultant that partners with them for cam design. Two different entities. With that said, most of the staff echo his feelings on the issue. If it was a new guy with 15 posts asking that question it would be a whole different story. Quicken has been on here since the beginning and seen the entire evolution of what is going on with this platform. My suggestion, before you cast stones, go back and read a few of Patrick's other posts. He is always diplomatic, civic, and patient more than most.

Quick Reply: .800 to .900 lift for a 100% street car....anyone doing it with success?