Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS7s suffering valve-train failures from mild after-market cams???

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 09:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,460 Likes on 921 Posts

Originally Posted by Katech
We have never failed a stock rocker in all development, durability, and aftermarket testing.
That's because you guys are in the business of making parts that last for 24 hours+ at 100% duty cycle!

Killer cam lobes are not all they are cracked up to be. Good job guys!

Andrew
Old 07-20-2007, 07:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GOaT Cheese
What? I've never seen a lash cap wear to the point of causing a valve to drop. The lash caps are hardened steel,and the valve train noise would be rediculous before anything of the sort could happen.
Talk to LG, Greg Good, Katech, and several others. They switch out the stock valves for a reason.

If you have not had that happen, congrats, but it has happened
Old 07-20-2007, 06:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stang's Bane
Talk to LG, Greg Good, Katech, and several others. They switch out the stock valves for a reason.

If you have not had that happen, congrats, but it has happened
I didn't say the valves weren't a problem, you said that the lash caps wear out and cause the failure, that is the issue I had with your statement.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:24 AM
TECH Addict

I didn't say the valves weren't a problem, you said that the lash caps wear out and cause the failure, that is the issue I had with your statement.
That is the reason that they switch out the valves. Kinda seems like overkill to me, but that is what I know
Old 07-24-2007, 02:11 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Katech
Nope. We have never failed a stock rocker in all development, durability, and aftermarket testing.
This is a strong endorsement for the stock LS7 rockers if ever I saw one.

On this note, are there even aftermarket LS7 1.8 rockers available if we choose to not run the stock LS7 one's?
Old 07-24-2007, 02:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RC45

On this note, are there even aftermarket LS7 1.8 rockers available if we choose to not run the stock LS7 one's?
The only ones I know of are the Jesel ones for a solid roller. I have heard of a few people making some custom ones as well.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Stang's Bane
The only ones I know of are the Jesel ones for a solid roller. I have heard of a few people making some custom ones as well.
Well, Jesel already said they have no replacement rocker for a hydraulic application. (which is what most street guys would be interested in)

Seems if Jesel (as an example) are not making a replacment, there is not that much of a problem with the stock ones.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I went with the LS7 rockers and a 238/254 .598/.610 112 cam. Time will tell how the valves/lash caps endure.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:46 PM
Staging Lane

on LS7 heads that have the lash caps on the TI intake valve, any cam over .625 lift will cause the lash caps to drop off, then the head of the TI intake valve starts to wear rapidly untill you hear loud clicking noises. i have found that if you are using TI intake valves you have to use a modified lash cap which keeps it from falling off, or dont use the TI intake valve at all.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

so im looking into buying a set ofassembled ls7 heads from ET Performance, should i be worried about this problem on a FI 427 motor? or is this problem strictly because of the stock valves/lash caps
Old 07-27-2007, 08:04 PM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong.........but I'm not sure Katech changes out the stock intake valve on the LS7 heads?I know LG and others do but I think Katech still uses the stockers.Jason?
Old 07-27-2007, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RC45

Try these:

http://www.slponline.com/view_produc...86&BIG=51186-1
Old 07-27-2007, 11:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think those will work. The intake rocker is offset and I've only found jesel rockers that need machining (the head) to work. I've been waiting to hear from someone who has experienced this issue. I'm going to run my heads as they are and hope I don't have any problems. I will be monitoring the valvetrain periodically.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bigblockb
I don't think those will work. The intake rocker is offset and I've only found jesel rockers that need machining (the head) to work. I've been waiting to hear from someone who has experienced this issue. I'm going to run my heads as they are and hope I don't have any problems. I will be monitoring the valvetrain periodically.
Yeah, you are correct. I couldn't find the LS7 rockers on line. Call SLP. There might be more stuff out there.

As Katech said, stock rockers are pretty durable unless you want to get nasty with the cam profile/valve motion. In that case, you are pretty much stuck with the Jesel system which ain't bad. Beyond that you are either on your own, or wait until someone steps up to the plate with a better system. The LS7 is still pretty new, and I'm not too sure how many folks are willing to pony up 3 large for a rocker system. If there was a market for that, I think it would happen.

The trend in higher end racing seems to be higher rocker ratios. 2.0 seems to be rather common, and ratios above that might be around the corner. Could that work in an LS engine? Someday somone will probably try. I hope he has deep pockets.

Jon
Old 07-28-2007, 01:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vtanju
on LS7 heads that have the lash caps on the TI intake valve, any cam over .625 lift will cause the lash caps to drop off, then the head of the TI intake valve starts to wear rapidly untill you hear loud clicking noises. i have found that if you are using TI intake valves you have to use a modified lash cap which keeps it from falling off, or dont use the TI intake valve at all.
I've built plenty of engines using lash caps, please explain how the caps "drop off"?
Old 08-02-2007, 01:24 PM
Staging Lane

I too am interested.. as we just rolled out this beast.. and I cant even hear a freight train let alone the valve train - so I would not know if it started "making a clatter"..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SLAVmayiCk
Old 08-03-2007, 05:30 PM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've built plenty of engines using lash caps, please explain how the caps "drop off"?
Valve float will cause a lash cap to come off, an aftermarket hyd roller camshaft with fast ramps will cause valve float. Stainless valves aggravate valve float and isn't really a good option. Having a custom titanium valve made with a hardened tip is the way to go. We have customers that run up to 1.000"+ of lift with these valves and no issues, $740 for a set of 8
Old 08-03-2007, 10:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Haans249
I'm running .646/.668 lift on my cam with no issues thus far.
Those lift numbers are figured with 1.8 rockers?

What lobe numbers?
Old 08-03-2007, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Brian Tooley
Valve float will cause a lash cap to come off, an aftermarket hyd roller camshaft with fast ramps will cause valve float. Stainless valves aggravate valve float and isn't really a good option. Having a custom titanium valve made with a hardened tip is the way to go. We have customers that run up to 1.000"+ of lift with these valves and no issues, $740 for a set of 8
1.000 on an LS7?

You meant "valve loft or valve toss" right? Isn't (unintentional) "valve loft" actually cause by inadequate control of the valve? I think there might be a better chance of getting (unwanted) loft with a lobe that dewlls at max lift like the (solid roller) LSK lobe family. You could also get it with a too-weak pushrod that flexed and acted like a pole vaulter's pole. I don't think a blanket statement like yours is the whole truth. We don't want to mislead folks.

Jon
Old 08-03-2007, 11:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Brian Tooley
Valve float will cause a lash cap to come off,
It's possible I guess, but that would have to occur under some incredible circumstances. One major contributing factor to valve float is rocker arm weight holding the valve open during it's moment of inertia. That occurance in it's own right would actually keep pressure on the lash cap, holding it secure to the stem. I'm not disagreeing with you, I can see how a very poorly engineered engine that suffers from EXTREME valve float could lose a lash cap, but this cannot be normal issue with TI LS-7 valve trains.

Quick Reply: LS7s suffering valve-train failures from mild after-market cams???