Old 10-30-2007, 08:29 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Katech Performance Super Engine Powers C6rs Supercar

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

McCullough Public Relations

KATECH PERFORMANCE SUPER ENGINE POWERS C6RS SUPERCAR
8.2-liter, 500ci V-8 Produces 600 Horsepower, 600 lbs.-ft. Torque

CLINTON TOWNSHIP, Mich. – Katech Performance, drawing upon 30 years of unrivaled engine building expertise and more than 50 driver’s and manufacturer’s championships in the world’s most prestigious racing leagues, has developed a revolutionary 8.2L, 500ci, all-aluminum, naturally aspirated engine to power Pratt & Miller’s all-new limited edition Corvette C6RS. The extraordinary engine is making its debut this week at the 2007 SEMA Show, where the C6RS super Corvette is on display in the General Motors exhibit.
Since 1989, Katech and Pratt & Miller have partnered on many race programs including the American Le Mans Series (ALMS) where their efforts have propelled Corvette Racing to unprecedented success since 1999. Katech’s pioneering 8.2-liter engine allows the C6RS – inspired by the seven-time GT class champion Corvette C6.R race cars – to combine advanced racing technology with the refinement required for everyday drivability.
“Pratt & Miller approached us with the challenge of producing an all new supercar engine,” said Caleb Newman, vice president, director aftermarket operations, Katech Performance. “A tuned production engine isn’t fitting for a vehicle the caliber of the C6RS – it must be best in class drivability, horsepower and torque – and we all agreed, naturally aspirated. Extra weight on the front end isn’t acceptable on a sports car, so an all-aluminum platform was required. To meet this challenge, more displacement was our first choice. The 8.2-liter C6RS engine is a dynamic evolution of all of Katech’s expertise in racing, performance and production engine development.”
The small-block V-8 displaces 500 cubic inches to infuse the C6RS with an awe-inspiring 600 horsepower and 600 lbs.-ft. torque. Katech commissioned Dart to build an exclusive high-strength billet 6061-T61 aluminum block that, with Katech specified features, allows a 4.500” stroke while improving material strength over cast production blocks.
Liner-less, Nicom-coated 4.205-inch bores reduce friction and improve heat transfer to better cool the cylinders while the all-forged rotating assembly replaces stock components with higher strength materials including a forged steel crankshaft and connecting rods as well as 11:1 compression forged aluminum pistons.
Exclusive to the C6RS are all-new coil relocation brackets moving the ignition coils to the side of the engine for a clean, tidy appearance. Mated to Pratt & Miller’s all-new carbon fiber air box, the 8.2-liter C6RS engine, devoid of plastic covers, is an elegant expression of form and function. LS7 heads, valvetrain, dry sump and Katech Performance’s standard show-prepped intake manifold and aluminum valve covers round out the package.
The Pratt & Miller Corvette C6RS (www.prattmillerc6rs.com) – on sale beginning April 2008 – also features a purpose-built carbon fiber body, functional front fender louvers, integrated rear spoiler, computer-controlled adjustable suspension, T56 six-speed transmission, twin-disc clutch, BBS forged aluminum wheels, Michelin Pilot Sport tires, Brembo monoblock disc brakes, two-tone leather interior, comprehensive Dynamat sound insulation system and a premium stainless steel CORSA exhaust with patented Reflective Sound Cancellation™ (RSC) technology to achieve a crisp, bold exhaust note and “drone-free” in-cabin experience.
About Katech Performance
Katech Performance, the aftermarket performance division of Katech Inc., engineers and manufactures race-proven crate engines and components for LS1/LS6 and LS2/LS7 engines including solid belt tensioners, coil relocation brackets, cylinder heads, dampers, pistons, push rods, throttle bodies and valve covers, among other high-performance products for the street and track.
Katech Inc. was founded in 1977 on the need to provide responsive service and skills to factory race efforts in all forms of racing, including the American Le Mans Series (ALMS), NASCAR®, SCCA SPEED World Challenge, American Speed Association (ASA) and International Motor Sports Association (IMSA). Today, Katech is an industrial leader in advanced racing and high-performance engine development, manufacturing, testing and assembly, and offers support services for the professional racer including boring, honing, fabrication, welding and prototype parts development.
Katech Performance is located at 24324 Sorrentino Court, Clinton Township, MI, 48035. Contact the company by phone at 866-KATECH1 or visit online at www.katechengines.com.
About Pratt & Miller
Founded in 1989 by Gary Pratt and Jim Miller, Pratt & Miller Engineering & Fabrication provides automotive and non-automotive clients with leading-edge engineering and low-volume manufacturing solutions. For more information, visit the Pratt & Miller website at www.prattmiller.com.

Katech Performance 8.2L C6RS Engine Specifications

Engine: Katech Performance 8.2L C6RS
Type/Layout: 90 degree V8
Valvetrain Configuration: Pushrod over head valves, 2 per cylinder
Displacement: 8.2 Liter (500 cubic inch)
Bore x Stroke: 106.8 x 114.3 mm (4.205 x 4.500 inch)
Compression Ratio: 11.0:1
Horsepower: 600 bhp @ 5800 rpm
Bhp/Liter: 73.2
Torque: 600 lbs.-ft. @ 4600 rpm
Redline: 6200 rpm
Fuel Injection: Sequential port injection
Recommended Fuel: Premium unleaded

Component Features:

Block: 6061-T61 billet aluminum
Cylinder bores: Liner-less Nicom coated parent aluminum
Main bearing caps: Billet steel
Cylinder head: LS7 production sand cast aluminum
Crankshaft: Forged 4340 steel
Connecting rods: Forged steel, special alloy
Pistons: Forged 4032 aluminum

Detailed Description:
Katech Performance has developed an 8.2L, 500ci engine specifically for the Pratt & Miller C6RS. The C6RS engine is the only naturally aspirated, 600 horsepower, 600 lbs.-ft. torque engine available for the Corvette. An exclusive Dart billet cylinder case with Katech specified features allows a 4.500” stroke while improving material strength over cast production blocks. With no liners, the Nicom spray bore reduces friction and improves heat transfer to better cool the cylinders. An all-forged rotating assembly replaces an LS7’s components with higher strength materials. LS7 heads, valvetrain and dry sump round out the package.

Katech Performance finishes the C6RS engine with its standard show-prepped intake manifold and aluminum valve covers. Exclusive to the C6RS are all-new coil relocation brackets moving the ignition coils to the side of the engine for a clean, tidy appearance. Mated to Pratt & Miller’s all-new carbon fiber air box, the engine, devoid of plastic covers, is an elegant expression of form and function.

Brief Description:
The Katech Performance C6RS all-aluminum, 500ci, 8.2L engine produces 600 horsepower and 600 lbs.-ft. torque. It is the only naturally aspirated, 600 horsepower, 600 lbs.-ft. torque Corvette engine – an elegant expression of form and function.

Last edited by Katech_Jason; 10-30-2007 at 09:51 AM.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:38 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

unbelievable
Old 10-30-2007, 10:14 AM
11 Second Club

dude... that car is beyond heinous...
Old 10-30-2007, 10:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More specific info on the engine please!!
Old 10-30-2007, 10:34 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Stang's Bane
More specific info on the engine please!!
Do you have a specific question?
Old 10-30-2007, 10:39 AM
TECH Junkie

simply badass. probably has pretty good street manners too. don't suppose u could post a dyno graph. i bet the torque curve is rediculus
Old 10-30-2007, 10:42 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Phoenix 5.7
simply badass. probably has pretty good street manners too. don't suppose u could post a dyno graph. i bet the torque curve is rediculus

It has excellent manners considering the emissions legal cam that is in it. We have not released dyno graphs yet but stay tuned.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:43 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Katech
Any particular reason (besides bore spacing) for the really long stroke? I'm assuming that is what limited the redline to 6200 RPMs...and at that low of RPMs, would a dry sump really be necessary? Just curious...I'm sure somebody much smarter than me answered those questions a long time ago.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:43 AM
TECH Addict

How did you get a 4.5" crank in a short deck block???
Old 10-30-2007, 10:46 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh...and what would the overall longevity of the cylinders be without the iron liners and just the Nicom? Would the wear rates be the same as an iron liner, better, worse?
Old 10-30-2007, 10:59 AM
11 Second Club

wow that thing is amazing.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:36 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Any particular reason (besides bore spacing) for the really long stroke? I'm assuming that is what limited the redline to 6200 RPMs...and at that low of RPMs, would a dry sump really be necessary? Just curious...I'm sure somebody much smarter than me answered those questions a long time ago.
Not necessary, but definetly worthwhile. I've seen 4.500 stroke BBC engines with a wet sump system gain 7hp just draining 1 qt of oil.

At 6200 RPM, those crank journals are spinning at over 7300 fpm, which is about the same as a stock 3.622 stroke crank turning 7700 RPM.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:41 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

It has excellent manners considering the emissions legal cam that is in it. We have not released dyno graphs yet but stay tuned.
Just curious if you could clue us in as to how mild the cam is. I rode in SAM's 500ci LS2 and it was relatively docile with a 23x cam. If it weren't for the open headers and powerglide, I'd drive it pretty regularly.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:32 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

The reason for the long stroke - cubes. Dry sump wouldn't be necessary, but since it is designed for a Z06 and based around LS7 design, it stays.

Originally Posted by Stang's Bane
How did you get a 4.5" crank in a short deck block???
This is a tall deck block made exclusively for Katech.

Oh...and what would the overall longevity of the cylinders be without the iron liners and just the Nicom? Would the wear rates be the same as an iron liner, better, worse?
Better. The LS7.R race engine has Nikasil bores (same idea, different manufacturer) and has proven to be EXTREMELY durable in 24 hour endurance racing.

Originally Posted by KCS
Just curious if you could clue us in as to how mild the cam is. I rode in SAM's 500ci LS2 and it was relatively docile with a 23x cam. If it weren't for the open headers and powerglide, I'd drive it pretty regularly.
Mild as in stock production cam.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for posting up Jason..I can't wait to see the dyno sheet on this car...
Old 10-30-2007, 12:43 PM
Banned

is that a custom intake or a ls7 ? and will it work on ls1 type heads ?

taller deck hight ? so it a ls7 but the deck hight is taller ? or is it a bb
Old 10-30-2007, 12:48 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by CETA_TransAm
is that a custom intake or a ls7 ? and will it work on ls1 type heads ?

taller deck hight ? so it a ls7 but the deck hight is taller ? or is it a bb
That is an LS7 intake.

It is a billet LS style block. It shares the same exterior dimensions as the LS7, but with a taller deck height.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:52 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I can only guess that it's going to cost well into the 6-figures, but well worth the money in my oppinion.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:56 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Also, any guesstimate on the weight of the car. I know you guys (Katech) were responsible for the motor, but with all the liberal use of carbon fiber I'd have to speculate that it dropped close to 100lbs off the base Z06, possibly getting it close to that sub 3000lb magical mark.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:56 PM
TECH Addict

Does it have spacers for the intake??? I am just not understanding how the ls7 intake is fitting on a tall deck block..

Quick Reply: Katech Performance Super Engine Powers C6rs Supercar