Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Precision Race Components LS7 Cylinder Head Engine Dyno Results!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 09:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[.

We've had several dyno tests showing 30rwhp gains on LS7 Z06 cars with no other changes but the heads & a little decking. [/QUOTE]

Can I assume this is with a cammed engine? Any data on stock or small cam LS7, stock/ported intake.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:55 AM
Teching In

Would these heads be too big for a mild cammed street 427? ie.less than 11:1 comp and 230- 240 cam.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:24 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by HTMtrSprt
And..... brake specific fuel consumption has nothing to do with air/fuel ratio, it is simply a measure of how much fuel it takes to produce the engine's horsepower.

A very good point! Generally only highly developed nascar engines would have BSFC numbers that low. Some people make the mistake of tuning to the numbers and not the horsepower.
I would think that it would make more power with more fuel and more timing. Also a lower octane fuel would be good to test. Hopefully the dyno operator measured the weight of the fuel and calibrated the dyno for that number. If not the BSFC number will be skewed.

I see that the dyno had wide band o2's but I don't see any data. If it was very lean they surely would have noticed.

One thing that we see a lot is guys trying to get perfect numbers on the dyno. The O2's , EGT's, Fuel Flow, and things like BSFC are just numbers to let you know when your out of range. A well built and tuned engine will exhibit numbers that fall into the normal range.

On most power adder combinations it's possible to make more power in self destruction mode. For that reason it's wise to keep the numbers in a "safe" range.
Also if tuning on the edgeit's allways wise to have O2's on each cylinder. Then you know how much you can lean on your tune up.

Nice numbers!

Robin
Old 12-18-2007, 11:35 AM

Thumbs down

The vac. pump isnt hooked up
Old 12-18-2007, 11:38 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 550maro
The vac. pump isnt hooked up
The vac pump isnt hooked up for the head install.
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 12-18-2007, 11:51 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by moeZ28
No dyno tricks...just no power steering, no air lid or air filter, EWP, underdrive pulley, no altenator so no need for a serpentine belt, 1 7/8" "dyno headers" which wouldnt fit an F-body or a corvette and are symmetrical for even flow...no dyno tricks at all!!! I wanna see this setup in a running, driveable vehicle, on a chassis dyno, with all enigine components hooked up and working, and with a serpentine belt, air lid, filter, etc. like it would actually be in someone's car...make good numbers then and I'll be impressed, as long as the numbers from TSP's chassis dyno equate to other comparable dynos, and are not "inflated".
I see TSP addressing every other post. How about addressing this one regarding the obvious dyno tricks performed on this? For pity's sake, you've addressed the vacuum pump question, but not one like this that points out the glaring problems with the dyno numbers.

I'd love to know where the accessories are, and what LSx car those headers are gonna fit.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:17 PM
Launching!

wow, a couple of real life keyboard heroes on here!
Old 12-18-2007, 12:45 PM
10 Second Club

What do you mean? You don't like the idea of getting accurate, relevant information from a sponsor instead of BS? I buy from TSP. I just don't see why everyone just accepts any BS that is spoon fed to them.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:11 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

My bad guys I thought calling a electric water pump a dyno trick was a joke... Why don't you guys tell me what is considered a dyno trick on a engine dyno & I can tell you how it we had it setup.

The engine is a typical engine dyno test. IE: no mufflers, no cats, no filter, no accessories because you dont really need power steering & a alternator on the engine dyno.

The engine test had the vac. pump on it for the stock head dyno number, but I left it off for the PRC ported head dyno tests because it didn't add hardly any power...

The headers have to be a dyno only 1 7/8" standard ls header. You need a dyno header to clear the dyno test stand.

Originally Posted by N4cer
I see TSP addressing every other post. How about addressing this one regarding the obvious dyno tricks performed on this? For pity's sake, you've addressed the vacuum pump question, but not one like this that points out the glaring problems with the dyno numbers.

I'd love to know where the accessories are, and what LSx car those headers are gonna fit.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:13 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Please go ahead & explain to me & the other members of this forum what part of this post is b.s.

I simply posted a before & after dyno graph on installing ONE part on a test engine. It really does not get anymore simple than that.

What do you mean? You don't like the idea of getting accurate, relevant information from a sponsor instead of BS? I buy from TSP. I just don't see why everyone just accepts any BS that is spoon fed to them.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:24 PM
Staging Lane

LMAO You a$$ holes didn't run the power steering pump when you dyno tested a cylinder head swap? LMAO

I bet it you ran a power steering pump & alternator on that motor the cylinder heads would have actually lost 150 horsepower!!

Old 12-18-2007, 01:26 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

WOW! Guys, this is the same setup we all use for the engine dyno! Like Jason stated, you can't bolt on just any set of headers and clear the stand. And who wants to see engine dyno numbers WITH all of the accessories and cats/mufflers?

This whole concept of engine dyno testing parts isn't new! Jason and his crew did a very good job of isolating the variables and showing the gains that can be had by swapping JUST one part. The vacuum pump and electric pump I, for one, can appreciate because most of the setups these double-throw-down heads and big cams are going in are likely to run those pumps as well!

You test parts during R&D using this setup. Then you put them in some lucky customer's vehicle for chassis dyno results. Those two don't happen in the same day very often! But, Jason, I guess you could/should go the way that MANY "LSx performance shops" do, and just skip that R&D stage all together....just make up some numbers and put them on a website to sell and lie to customers when they call about the gains.

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 12-18-2007, 01:33 PM
10 Second Club

Easy killer. No need to get defensive unless you feel guilty there, bud. Just odd that you refused to answer it. And yeah, it's personal opinion that I think it's kinda shady to put up big numbers and just conveniently fail to mention "keep in mind, this is done with this this and this different". That doesn't even tell us what gains it would make on a setup that would be put in a car. Nowhere near it.

But it's really no big deal to me. Just funny. Don't take yourself so seriously. I wasn't attacking you. I wanted to get you to address it, and you finally did. Purpose served, issue resolved. Have a Merry Christmas. And good work on the heads. I'm impressed and would love to have a set.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The dyno test performed by TSP is standard operating procedure for engine dynoing. Who cares about the accessories, this was a test showing the difference between 2 sets of heads tested in the same environment. If you want to see the results of the accessories then buy the damn motor and test it in your car. BTW, that test is called a chassis dyno test.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:54 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Actually if I was trying to just overwelm everyone with dyno sheets I'd get out the dyno of that engine ultimately making over 750 flywheel horsepower. All I was attempting to show was a simple part swap dyno sheet. I really dont see how that makes anyone feel defensive or guilty. This was a simple part swap before & after test..

Easy killer. No need to get defensive unless you feel guilty there, bud. Just odd that you refused to answer it. And yeah, it's personal opinion that I think it's kinda shady to put up big numbers and just conveniently fail to mention "keep in mind, this is done with this this and this different". That doesn't even tell us what gains it would make on a setup that would be put in a car. Nowhere near it.

But it's really no big deal to me. Just funny. Don't take yourself so seriously. I wasn't attacking you. I wanted to get you to address it, and you finally did. Purpose served, issue resolved. Have a Merry Christmas. And good work on the heads. I'm impressed and would love to have a set.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:02 PM
Launching!

He probably didnt reply to the post accusing of dyno tricks because its a ginormous waste of his time....

Good job though keeping the sponsors in check though
Old 12-18-2007, 02:33 PM
Launching!

Jason, all you need now is a cam guru to come in here and school us all on cam specs and then we will be set!
Old 12-18-2007, 02:38 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Dude I bet I can find one here on ls1tech... Sadly I've only tested 12 different camshafts in this engine.... Luckily for us we have some cam gurus on ls1tech that have never built/seen/tested any camshaft on a dyno before that could easily spec out a camshaft to pick up 20 torque across the board.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:55 PM
9 Second Club

Im not going to read all this BS. Bottom line is TSP is taking the time to do these tests and they have brought prices down alot for all of us to enjoy. Bashing them in BS.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:01 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Sick numbers, the LSx scene never stops amazing me.

Quick Reply: Precision Race Components LS7 Cylinder Head Engine Dyno Results!!