Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Newly Updated PRC LS7 CNC Heads Break 400CFM!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 09:39 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Newly Updated PRC LS7 CNC Heads Break 400CFM!!

Guys we just finished up the tweaked version of our all new PRC LS7 cylinder heads & these bad boys broke the 400cfm mark!

The cylinder heads were revised slightly when it was moved over to our new machine & we're completely thrilled with the results!

Keep in mind this is a tweaked version of the cylinder head that already pushed our 06 Z06 passed the 600rwhp mark!

Here's the flow data:

.300 251
.400 305
.500 351
.600 385
.650 395
.675 400
.700 403

ex

.300 184
.400 207
.500 224
.600 237
.650 244

The exhaust was flowed without a pipe, the bore plate was a ls1 4.130" bore.

Here's a few pics of the port for you guys to enjoy!

Old 06-25-2008, 10:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What happened to the rest of the thread?
Old 06-25-2008, 10:02 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder.....
Old 06-25-2008, 01:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the rest of the thread was way off topic so it got deleted.

Jon those looks really awesome any update on 6 bolt???
Old 06-25-2008, 04:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by venom ws7
I think the rest of the thread was way off topic so it got deleted.
Unlike all of the other threads on this board, which never wander off-topic

Seriously, by the general standards of this board, the previous version of this thread was not insulting, not that far off-topic, and fairly interesting/informative. It could at least have been split off if the mod decided it was too OT ...
Old 06-25-2008, 04:50 PM
Banned

These aren't bad.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:37 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

How much $$$ ?
Old 06-25-2008, 08:10 PM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Wow...............just destroyed a very imformative thread!? Traver
Old 06-25-2008, 09:39 PM
TECH Addict

Its possible the original poster didn't like where the thread went and deleted it, then reposted. I'm sure if things were out of line a moderator would have stepped in before deleting a thread, which in no way was out of line.

Back on topic....did you ever get those flow numbers from the independent bench? Also, what did the intake ports pour? I remember them only being like 3 cc's more than stock, which is damn impressive.

Any flow tests with a non-ported LS7 intake, and then a ported LS7 intake? I would like to make some more comparisons!

Thanks!
Adrian
Old 06-25-2008, 10:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ramairws6
Wow...............just destroyed a very imformative thread!? Traver
B/C information doesn't matter as much as sales do... L$1Tech.com
Old 06-26-2008, 07:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black
B/C information doesn't matter as much as sales do... L$1Tech.com
BINGO!!!
Old 06-26-2008, 07:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

6 bolt design come on guys
Old 06-26-2008, 09:19 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Guys, if you could please refrain posting your off-topic garbage in our thread. Start a new thread if you'd like to talk about non-sponsor heads. Thanks

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 06-26-2008, 09:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Matt I was refering to you guys coming out with a 6 bolt design thats what I have over heard. Im very impressed with what you guys have here but would be of equal interest in your 6 bolt stuff if you guys or indeed working on that.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:29 AM
TECH Addict

So its garbage to state that the exhaust ports on these new heads could be improved based on other heads around? Being a sponsor you would have to expect some debate to happen, its just the nature of the beast.

These heads really flow some amazing numbers on the intake side. The exhaust is decent as well, but some others feel they are not up to par with what they could flow and IMHO they are entitled to their own opinion as well.

And lastly, what are the cc's of the intake/exhaust ports, and what are the flow numbers below .300 on intake/exhaust and what are the flow numbers above .7?

Thanks!!
Adrian
Old 06-26-2008, 09:36 AM
FU2
Teching In

Still priced at $ 999. exchanged ?
Old 06-26-2008, 10:03 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by Haans249
So its garbage to state that the exhaust ports on these new heads could be improved based on other heads around? Being a sponsor you would have to expect some debate to happen, its just the nature of the beast.

These heads really flow some amazing numbers on the intake side. The exhaust is decent as well, but some others feel they are not up to par with what they could flow and IMHO they are entitled to their own opinion as well.

And lastly, what are the cc's of the intake/exhaust ports, and what are the flow numbers below .300 on intake/exhaust and what are the flow numbers above .7?

Thanks!!
Adrian
There is a place for debating how to improve the heads, and that is in a new thread which anyone is free to start. In the advance section you can debate and discuss it all day long with some of the best in this business! But this thread is to showcase our heads as they stand. The old thread was completely littered with non-sponsor head info and the like. Again, start a new thread is the simple answer.

Originally Posted by FU2
Still priced at $ 999. exchanged ?
Yes, they are still $999 on exchange!

Originally Posted by 1fstTA
Matt I was refering to you guys coming out with a 6 bolt design thats what I have over heard. Im very impressed with what you guys have here but would be of equal interest in your 6 bolt stuff if you guys or indeed working on that.
We are still working on the new casting with 6 bolt provisions. They are coming along better and better every day. I'd HOPE to have some firm numbers and release information towards the end of the summer, but we're not that far along yet to wher we can release any more information. We'll definitely post up when they're ready! Thanks for your interest!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 06-26-2008, 09:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
There is a place for debating how to improve the heads, and that is in a new thread which anyone is free to start. In the advance section you can debate and discuss it all day long with some of the best in this business! But this thread is to showcase our heads as they stand. The old thread was completely littered with non-sponsor head info and the like. Again, start a new thread is the simple answer.
Matt,

Sorry to disagree with you here, but your heavy-handed attempt to squash any dialog that doesn't advance your commercial interests is, from my point of view, directly contrary to the spirit and purpose of a public bulletin board like this one. It may well be that the thread was taking a direction that you didn't like - but the effect of removing all previous posts and thoughts is to diminish the education of the board's audience in general in favor of serving your specific interests.

Even more unfortunately, you had much more productive options for handling this. You could have started a new thread, with additional test results, reiterating your very attractive offerings. You could have weighed in on the original thread, explaining your philosophies on exhaust port design, and instructing your potential customers on appropriate cam design for these new heads. These choices would have reinforced your position as knowledgeable performance engineers, as well as directing the conversations toward the ends you desire.

As for me, I'm left to wonder why I was the poster who was most responsive to the (very mild, mostly implicit) criticisms of your shiny new product, while you sat in the background waiting to hit the delete key.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:23 PM
FormerVendor

It is TSP's post, if you want to ask a question about their heads then ask it. But the posts you guys are making are taking away from their right as a sponsor to post about their product to sell them.

Make your own posts if you want to criticize.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SoCalSpd
It is TSP's post, if you want to ask a question about their heads then ask it. But the posts you guys are making are taking away from their right as a sponsor to post about their product to sell them.

Make your own posts if you want to criticize.
Wrong. "Us guys" are not taking away their right to post, or to respond to any legitimate questions raised about their product, or to try to keep the direction of the thread on track from their perspective, or to ask the moderators for intervention in disrespectful/unproductive posts. For myself, I am simply bringing up a point of etiquette with respect to public bulletin boards: bulletin boards live on public participation from a variety of individuals and points of view. When you use your power as originator of a post to arbitrarily remove extensive participation from the community at large, you damage both the purpose of the bulletin board, and your own credibility. If you want absolute control over your message, post on your own damn web site and leave it at that.

That said, I'm a TSP customer twice over, and have recommended them to numerous other LSx freaks, at least two of whom took my advice. There's a blue sticky note on my computer that says "contact PRC re LS7 heads", in reference to my LS7 crate motor going into the '69 Camaro I'm building for track days and One Lap of America. So here are some, hopefully illuminating, questions for the post originators:

- The car mags have indoctrinated me to believe that a good cylinder head should have an I/E flow ratio of .75 or above. Do you agree? If not, why not. If so, why does your head not meet this criteria?

- The generally accepted relationship between intake flow and horsepower potential for a street motor is about 2.2 HP per intake port CFM for a maxed-out 2 valve V8 engine. This relationship seems to hold when upgrading heads on a 1st gen small block. But I notice that increasing intake flow about 40 CFM on your LS7 heads - and competitors heads, as well - only seems to gain about 15-25 HP, instead of 80 or more. Why is that?

- Lots of posters seem to think that head porting is mostly wasted, because the standard LS7 intake "doesn't flow enough". Does the stock LS7 intake limit the gains available from your heads, and if so, why? What intake design is likely to fix this limitation?

- What camshaft parameters need to be altered to take advantage of your heads? What are the general cam parameters needed to optimize LS7 performance for the range of applications of interest to your customers?

- I notice you can modify chamber volume, and therefore static compression, with your LS7 heads. What factors determine the max compression ratio I should use?

I should state honestly that I have some decent ideas what I personally think the answers to these questions are - but I think hearing good answers from a thoughtful performance engineering organization would greatly help this community at large, as well as enhance the credibility of TSP products, including the product in question. How about it?

Quick Reply: Newly Updated PRC LS7 CNC Heads Break 400CFM!!