Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

change crank reluctor wheel

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 10:01 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default change crank reluctor wheel

Any one know how to change the crank reluctor wheel I have the LS7 with 58 and need the 24 put on. any help THANKS
Old 08-07-2008, 09:41 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heat it up with a torch, and it will come off. You can use the kent moore alignment tool to clock it properly, or eyeball it. I made my own tool.

Be sure to get it on correctly, there is a front and a back to it.

Louis
Old 08-07-2008, 10:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where were you like two weeks ago, Louis? I bought an aftermarket crank that came without a reluctor wheel. And I happened to be very dissapointed that I was going to have to pay $200 for the goodson one when I would be using it once. I was going to end up having my buddy machine one, but this one is a steal.

SBCamaro it has to be heated to 450F. And I have heard it needs to be within twenty-thousandths. Thus needing the alignment tool, or else it throws a code. Good luck, and my build should be coming together alot sooner than I thought
Old 08-08-2008, 01:14 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All callies cranks are +/- 2*, fwiw. Keep in mind, every one can be different, and they are. I have personally never heard of them being off and causing a code, but its not to say its impossible.

In the World Challenge cars, with a 3 car team, we had 8 engines. All were identical, but not one had the same timing. Most of the time, you can get them very close, but its not uncommon to see them off.

In the Bosch ECUs for the GT2 car and Late model WC cars, we have a global timing offset modifier- "Dwzapple" is the german acronym for it. This is the total offset this particular engine has for timing in relation to the "perfect" timing needed. each engine is labeled with the offset, that way when they come off the dyno and go into the car, or shipped somewhere, the engine calibrator at the track knows where to set this one.

Rather change the whole table, we just change the offset

Sorry for the novel.

Louis
Old 08-08-2008, 09:19 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Louis
Be sure to get it on correctly, there is a front and a back to it.

Louis
Agreed! Be sure to check it. We've had aftermarket cranks from two of the bigger and best known manufacturers of cranks on this forum with the wheel on backwards. It's not a fun situation!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!

Quick Reply: change crank reluctor wheel