Generation V External Engine LT1 Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Supply to L83 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 08:20 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Supply to L83 Questions

Hello all. I'm in the process of cleaning up the harness in preparation of a swap into an older non FI car. Will a quality inline HP pump relay switched off ignition on be sufficient? The truck fuel pump and control module seems overly complicated but need to know if it is really needed.
Old 05-26-2016, 01:14 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I'd get with John Spears at Speartech to get his opinion on it. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 05-26-2016, 04:19 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks
Old 05-26-2016, 04:21 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by bamabob
Thanks
You're welcome. Thanks. Bob

Old 06-13-2016, 10:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's some info I got from the LT1 crate motor ECM

Fuel Pump Power Module, engine harness, accelerator pedal, mass air ow (MAF) sensor, MAF sensor mounting boss, Fuel Line Pressure Sensor, oxygen sensors (2), and oxygen sensor mounting bosses (2). This control system is intended for use with a returnless fuel system and fuel pump that is capable of being pulse width modulated (PWM) at 25 kHz to control fuel pressure. A fuel ow rate of 45 gph at 72 psi (500 kPa) is needed. Because this is a dead headed system, a pressure relief set at 84 psi (580 kPa) must be included in the fuel line between the tank pump and the engine mounted high pressure pump.
Chevrolet Performance Part Number 19303293 is one example of a compatible fuel pump and it includes an internal pressure relief system. If using this pump, the lower port on the module may be left open or used to connect a remote pick up system. P/N 13587174 is connector pigtail for this pump and is available from your local dealer.
A pump with excessive capacity may result in cavitation at low ow due to the pump repeatedly stopping and starting instead of controlling to a speed/pressure. Alternatively, a fuel system operating at a xed 72 psi (500 kPa) could be used and a fuel pump relay may be triggered by the Green/Gray wire in cavity 2 of the Fuel Pump Power Module (FPPM). Note that excessive fuel heating and potential startability/drivability issues may result from a constant high pressure.

So with that in mind, I will be using the ZL1 fuel pump with a fuel tank from Restomod Tank for my El Camino. Restomod Tanks are sold by Rick's Tanks. But if you don't want to use their tanks, the have a kit that you can retrofit your original tank to accommodate a ZL1 Pump.
Old 06-18-2016, 08:39 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1975delta88
Here's some info I got from the LT1 crate motor ECM

Fuel Pump Power Module, engine harness, accelerator pedal, mass air ow (MAF) sensor, MAF sensor mounting boss, Fuel Line Pressure Sensor, oxygen sensors (2), and oxygen sensor mounting bosses (2). This control system is intended for use with a returnless fuel system and fuel pump that is capable of being pulse width modulated (PWM) at 25 kHz to control fuel pressure. A fuel ow rate of 45 gph at 72 psi (500 kPa) is needed. Because this is a dead headed system, a pressure relief set at 84 psi (580 kPa) must be included in the fuel line between the tank pump and the engine mounted high pressure pump.
Chevrolet Performance Part Number 19303293 is one example of a compatible fuel pump and it includes an internal pressure relief system. If using this pump, the lower port on the module may be left open or used to connect a remote pick up system. P/N 13587174 is connector pigtail for this pump and is available from your local dealer.
A pump with excessive capacity may result in cavitation at low ow due to the pump repeatedly stopping and starting instead of controlling to a speed/pressure. Alternatively, a fuel system operating at a xed 72 psi (500 kPa) could be used and a fuel pump relay may be triggered by the Green/Gray wire in cavity 2 of the Fuel Pump Power Module (FPPM). Note that excessive fuel heating and potential startability/drivability issues may result from a constant high pressure.

So with that in mind, I will be using the ZL1 fuel pump with a fuel tank from Restomod Tank for my El Camino. Restomod Tanks are sold by Rick's Tanks. But if you don't want to use their tanks, the have a kit that you can retrofit your original tank to accommodate a ZL1 Pump.
This is very useful info. Thanks for sharing!
Old 06-26-2016, 11:14 PM
On The Tree

My Restomod tank, ZL1 pump and my connector pigtail arrived last week. I went with the LT1 harness and controller because it came with the FPPM, the 02 sensors, the pedal, the fuel line pressure sensor and the MAF sensor. It was $1800 but I thought it was the most bang for the buck
Old 06-27-2016, 02:58 AM
On The Tree

Wow, great buy!
Old 06-27-2016, 10:21 AM
Teching In

When I emailed Speartech about the new Gen V motors to see if there was anything special required for the fuel pump, they said you just want to spec a pump that is capable of supporting around 75 psi, with a good flow rate.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:29 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Deloss
When I emailed Speartech about the new Gen V motors to see if there was anything special required for the fuel pump, they said you just want to spec a pump that is capable of supporting around 75 psi, with a good flow rate.
I'm going with this requirement using a Walbro 392 which should provide needed volume at 80 psi. What I don't know is should the pump run dead headed when the key is in run position or can it be wired to be controlled by the ecm without using the fuel module. I have the module but there are a lot of inputs that I don't want to put the different sensors in for.

Last edited by bamabob; 06-27-2016 at 11:17 AM.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have been looking around at this as well and found some people have used the standard "corvette" filter regulator combo used in the generic gen 3 conversions. This of course limits the pressure to 58ish psi. No it seems that that is different from what has posted here.
I had been looking for a simple way to just have the ecm turn on a standard pump but I have not seen that as an option yet. Other than the above which is more than I hoped to spend is there an alternate way for fuel from the tank to the rail?
Based on what 1975delta88 posted above what is needed as a retrofit? I am about finished with my harness, I don't have the fuel pump power module and hoped that I didn't need it but that may not be the case. These gen 5 motors have lots of controls I was not aware of...but a great project non the less.
Old 07-11-2016, 06:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by custom 68
I have been looking around at this as well and found some people have used the standard "corvette" filter regulator combo used in the generic gen 3 conversions. This of course limits the pressure to 58ish psi. No it seems that that is different from what has posted here.
I had been looking for a simple way to just have the ecm turn on a standard pump but I have not seen that as an option yet. Other than the above which is more than I hoped to spend is there an alternate way for fuel from the tank to the rail?
Based on what 1975delta88 posted above what is needed as a retrofit? I am about finished with my harness, I don't have the fuel pump power module and hoped that I didn't need it but that may not be the case. These gen 5 motors have lots of controls I was not aware of...but a great project non the less.
The instructions on my LT1 controller state "a fuel system operating at a fixed 72 psi (500 kPa) could be used and a fuel pump relay may be triggered by the Green/Gray wire in cavity 2 of the Fuel Pump Power Module (FPPM). Note that excessive fuel heating and potential startability/drivability issues may result from a constant high pressure."

But the key is you have to have a Fuel Pump Power Module with it. Here are the GM part numbers
13579380 Fuel Line Pressure Sensor
23184800 Fuel Pump Power Module

I went the easy route and bought a ZL1 pump and a RestoMod tank from Rick's Tank. The new RestoMod tanks accommodates the ZL1 pump. You can also buy a retrofit kit from Rick's tank if you want to use your existing tank. The kit includes a ring and a hole saw so that you can use a ZL1 pump.
Old 07-11-2016, 06:19 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by 1975delta88
The instructions on my LT1 controller state "a fuel system operating at a fixed 72 psi (500 kPa) could be used and a fuel pump relay may be triggered by the Green/Gray wire in cavity 2 of the Fuel Pump Power Module (FPPM). Note that excessive fuel heating and potential startability/drivability issues may result from a constant high pressure."

But the key is you have to have a Fuel Pump Power Module with it. Here are the GM part numbers
13579380 Fuel Line Pressure Sensor
23184800 Fuel Pump Power Module

I went the easy route and bought a ZL1 pump and a RestoMod tank from Rick's Tank. The new RestoMod tanks accommodates the ZL1 pump. You can also buy a retrofit kit from Rick's tank if you want to use your existing tank. The kit includes a ring and a hole saw so that you can use a ZL1 pump.
Great info! Bob

Old 07-11-2016, 07:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thank you for this info. I will look into the tank information.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by custom 68
Thank you for this info. I will look into the tank information.
Another option is VaporWorx. This link has a great explanation on how a PWM system works. I have this setup in my LS3 powered 78 Impala Landau. I originally intended for it to have an LSA so I bought this set up. But then my budget got cut, so I settled for the LS3.

https://www.vaporworx.com/documentat...-systems-work/
Old 10-18-2016, 02:54 PM
Teching In

Hey , just started to LS forum. this topic seems to be my issue .
i have 2016 L83 5.3L from 1500 Silverado. Its a new Gen V engine and things are very cloudy to me how to connect the fuel. ( I'm putting it in the 57 Chevy truck ).
SO, there is no return line in these engines ?? I believe i have two fuel lines for it, bot on the LH side on the engine , one in the middle towards back , one in the front part . got the tank from Tanks inc , pump is good for 72psi . Can anyone explain me ho to deal with fuel and where would 13579380 Fuel Line Pressure Sensor ,23184800 Fuel Pump Power Module go.
should i open new thread topic on this for forum? please help
The following users liked this post:
dacoops54 (02-24-2023)
Old 10-19-2016, 09:35 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ugis
Hey , just started to LS forum. this topic seems to be my issue .
i have 2016 L83 5.3L from 1500 Silverado. Its a new Gen V engine and things are very cloudy to me how to connect the fuel. ( I'm putting it in the 57 Chevy truck ).
SO, there is no return line in these engines ?? I believe i have two fuel lines for it, bot on the LH side on the engine , one in the middle towards back , one in the front part . got the tank from Tanks inc , pump is good for 72psi . Can anyone explain me ho to deal with fuel and where would 13579380 Fuel Line Pressure Sensor ,23184800 Fuel Pump Power Module go.
should i open new thread topic on this for forum? please help
The fuel line pressure sensor goes inline on the fuel line. The Fuel Pump Power Module mounts as close to the in-tank fuel pump. There's no return line because the FPPM controls the pump speed via pulse width modulation.
Old 10-19-2016, 01:23 PM
Teching In

thank you 1975delta88. I'm starting to put a puzzle together. what i thought was my second feel line , actually is crank breather line. so, only one fuel line for engine.
im gonna use the tank and pump from the Tanks Inc i already bought and use a fuel regulator from the Edelbrock 1728. Speartech guy told me i should have at 58psi for idle and about 72-76psi .
Old 12-11-2016, 02:49 PM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

So far I have done 3 separate gen V swaps. I modded factory harnesses and ran the usual 57 PSI return less fuel systems. They all run perfect without a FPCM. I have tried to run the GM performance swap calibration and it will not even run. I think they have it programmed to have the FPCM hooked up and I can not get around it on that tune. The 5.3 calibration has some issues as well. The throttle does not work yet. If I use a different OS then it works. This new gen v computer programming is quite confusing to say the least!
Old 12-13-2016, 12:31 AM
Teching In

thank you vannatta20. thats route i went. haven't started the engine yet but at 57psi it should work fine. swap is almost done , should be able to crank over soon .

Quick Reply: Fuel Supply to L83 Questions