Generation V External Engine LT1 Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

L83 oil pan swap.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1975delta88
Yes it does. I was surprised myself. The shop only had to notch the K-member less than an inch or so. Hopefully the Camaro SS exhaust manifolds will clear also. Keeping my fingers crossed.
You're lucky the exhaust manifolds from the truck won't clear the frame on my 59........
Old 07-17-2016, 02:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Gen V oilpan side by side comparison LT1 Corvette and Camaro

Found this two side pictures for the Corvette (right) vs Camaro (left)wet sump oilpans. I have previous pictures with the Corvette oilpan on a 69 Camaro subframe (see above posts). The Camaro oil pan may hang slightly below the frame. If the car is going to be lowered, any overhang of the oilpan could be a problem. What I like about the Camaro oilpan on the 69 Camaro subframe is that it allows more space for an after market rack and pinion. Also it makes me think it may have enough clearance for the center link if original steering linkage is used. I may buy a LT1 Camaro oilpan to test both.
Attached Thumbnails L83  oil pan swap.-f146259660.jpg   L83  oil pan swap.-f146242817.jpg  
Old 07-18-2016, 09:31 AM
On The Tree

Default L83 L86 LT1 LT4 Gen V steering center link oil pan clearance.

Below is a link to a fellow member who has the first ever LT4 into a 69 Camaro.
The photo I borrow from his post shows the LT4 oil pan with enough clearance for the factory 69 center link. With the right exhaust to clear the steering box and this oil pan he kept the factory steering system. I think this important for the people who can't adapt rack and pinion to their projects. It may apply to many early, not just Camaros. The part number for the wet sump LT4 oil pan is GM 12639931.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/member.php?u=296734
Attached Thumbnails L83  oil pan swap.-80-image_a78d08a815730b32f706b0ef5cbf334001437e03.jpg  

Last edited by mzrico; 07-18-2016 at 10:25 AM.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:35 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mzrico
Below is a link to a fellow member who has the first ever LT4 into a 69 Camaro.
The photo I borrow from his post shows the Camaro oil pan with enough clearance for the factory 69 center link. With the right exhaust to clear the steering box and this oil pan he kept the factory steering system. I think this important for the people who can't adapt rack and pinion to their projects. It may apply to many early, not just Camaros. The part number for the wet sump Camaro oil pan is GM 12639931.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/member.php?u=296734
Cool great find!!!
Old 08-19-2016, 09:12 AM
Staging Lane

Hello mzrico. Thanks for the info you have shared so far. Have you got the body back on yet? I'm curious as to how much clearance you have at the firewall and tunnel.
Originally Posted by mzrico
I got a few pictures of my work this weekend. With the ICT Billet engine plates (middle position of three possible adjustable ) and the Energy Suspension engine mounts,
the L83 almost fits in the stock 69 Camaro subframe without modifications, . I cut and re-welded my factory SBC frame mounts half and inch (2nd and 3rd pics). Also the subframe was notched 3/4''. These modifications locate the engine nicely using the stock subframe holes. The oilpan is protected just above the subframe. The engines balancer clears the front frame crossmember by 1/2". The transmission oilpan does not hang below the subframe. The 6L80e is a few inches longer and wil require a slightly curved crossmember. There are many companies making universal crossmember for LS swaps that can be adapted to the Gen V swaps. The pictures show my results. When I get the body over the frame I will see how the firewall and tunnel may have to be modified.
Old 08-31-2016, 02:38 PM
Teching In

Are you guys swapping windage trays when you swap the pan? I just picked up the 2016/17 CTSV, 2017 Camaro LT4 pan (12639931) that mzrico recommended. Hoping I can run the cooler on it as well, but we'll see haha.

Thanks for all this info as well!
Old 08-31-2016, 04:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by peterlombardi
Are you guys swapping windage trays when you swap the pan? I just picked up the 2016/17 CTSV, 2017 Camaro LT4 pan (12639931) that mzrico recommended. Hoping I can run the cooler on it as well, but we'll see haha.

Thanks for all this info as well!
the pans are expensive BUT very complete. They include pickup tube, windage tray, seals, oil level sensor, oil pressure sensor and oil filter so really not too bad a deal for $400 on eBay. The 9931 pan also already has what I think is a return fitting for a catchcan. I used the expensive gasket maker to seal the pan on installation which is same way as factory. Worst part was getting the original pan off. This pan is surprisingly heavy but that is not a bad thing

Last edited by bamabob; 08-31-2016 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-31-2016, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bamabob
the pans are expensive BUT very complete. They include pickup tube, windage tray, seals, oil level sensor, oil pressure sensor and oil filter so really not too bad a deal for $400 on eBay. The 9931 pan also already has what I think is a return fitting for a catchcan. I used the expensive gasket maker to seal the pan on installation which is same way as factory. Worst part was getting the original pan off. This pan is surprisingly heavy but that is not a bad thing
Bamabob where did you get the gasket maker sealer from?
Old 08-31-2016, 09:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by gthmcty1
Bamabob where did you get the gasket maker sealer from?

O'Reillys Auto for roughly $20
Old 08-31-2016, 09:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bamabob

O'Reillys Auto for roughly $20
My man thanks!!!
Old 09-04-2016, 08:16 PM
Teching In

Default Gen V LT1 swap oil pan problems.

Hi, I am new to the forum and ran across your posts. I am in the process of swapping a gen v lt1 into a gen 2 lt1 B body (Roadmaster). Yeh I know, don't laugh, but the biggest problem so far is the oil pan. The corvette pan sump is much to long, by about 7 inches. The CTS-V pan was better but still too long. I am hoping to have an aftermarket pan in about a month. The sump on it is supposed to be about 8+ inches. It should work in the B body and many others. I first tried some ICT adapter plates with the stock mounts, but too many problems. Once their is pan clearance I can fab some mounts. I did find an aftermarket setup for low mount A/C front drive system w/power steering. Will know more how it fits when the engine is in the frame.
Attached Thumbnails L83  oil pan swap.-roadmaster-build-front-drive-016.jpg  
Old 04-06-2017, 11:32 AM
Teching In

So this giant thing on the Camaro SS oil pan. I'm guessing this is the return and check valve from the pcv? Can I just plug this? Cause I'm going to. lol
Attached Thumbnails L83  oil pan swap.-20170405_225339.jpg  
Old 04-09-2017, 11:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GENVRDMSTR
Hi, I am new to the forum and ran across your posts. I am in the process of swapping a gen v lt1 into a gen 2 lt1 B body (Roadmaster). Yeh I know, don't laugh, but the biggest problem so far is the oil pan. The corvette pan sump is much to long, by about 7 inches. The CTS-V pan was better but still too long. I am hoping to have an aftermarket pan in about a month. The sump on it is supposed to be about 8+ inches. It should work in the B body and many others. I first tried some ICT adapter plates with the stock mounts, but too many problems. Once their is pan clearance I can fab some mounts. I did find an aftermarket setup for low mount A/C front drive system w/power steering. Will know more how it fits when the engine is in the frame.

Hello. Holley came up with a new Gen V oil pan kit that may solve your problem.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:30 AM
On The Tree

Moroso 20155 is also a new Gen V oil pan. It will clear stock steering linkage and after market rack and pinions.
Old 04-14-2017, 05:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

how much longer (o n the bottom) VS the LT1 pan?
Old 04-27-2017, 12:19 PM
On The Tree

I am waiting on the Holley LT1 oil pan (may be a week before I is available for shipping). The Camaro oil pan has excellent ground clearance but the space between it and the subframe is minimal and won't allow stock steering components or rack and opinion (unless a front mounted R&P unit was used like the DSE subframe was used). The LT4 oil pan sticks out too much below the sub frame. From the the measurements I found on the Moroso website, their new oil pan is almost as deep as the LT4 oil pan and it will be too low for my car. I am left with the Holley Gen V. As soon as I get it I will post pictures.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:07 AM
Teching In

Any luck with the Holley oil pan
Old 06-04-2017, 08:33 PM
On The Tree

Default Holley LT1 oil pan swap no good for 1st Gen Camaro. JEGS giving me the run around.

Originally Posted by impala bud
Any luck with the Holley oil pan
No luck at all. I ordered the oil pan from Jegs over one month ago. I have called Jegs for updates 4 times (once every week), every time I was told "next week" or some other nonsense. Finally I demanded a realistic time line from Jegs and the lost clerk and her supervisor finally admitted they had no clue. Holley is way behind with production.

Using Holleys diagram dimensions, I was able to determine the Holley oil pan rear sump will hang below my subframe by 2 inches. Also it won't clear my rack and pinion.
The Holley oil pan may clear the center link but the factory power steering box did not clear my L83 exhaust manifolds or after market LT1 headers ( I checked both on my car) forcing me to have to use Unisteer R&P. I did drop my engine 3/4 inches, that leaves anyone using this oil pan for a 1st Gen camaro (using stock location) with 1 1/4 inches of overhang (too much, specially if the car is dropped). I say the Hooley Oil pan as well as the Moroso are not good at all for 1st Generation LT1, LT4, L86, or L83 swaps.

I am now using the factory GM oil pan for LT1 Corvette and modifying it to clear my Unisteer rack and Pinion. Photos will follow.

Last edited by mzrico; 06-04-2017 at 08:41 PM. Reason: spelling.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:25 AM
On The Tree

Default Gen V Oil Pan no Holley or Morroso pan.

Finally got sick of waiting for Holley and Jegs to built and deliver the much promised pan. So I did modify the factory Corvette pan. Installation goes on this weekend. Pictures coming soon.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:31 AM
Teching In

Default Holley 302-22 oil pan

Well they finally shipped my oil pan that I ordered in January 2017! I had many emails from that date telling me every excuse they could think of, so crossing my fingers it shows up in one piece!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: L83 oil pan swap.