LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Generation V External Engine (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-v-external-engine-175/)
-   -   L83 oil pan swap. (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-v-external-engine/1836672-l83-oil-pan-swap.html)

mzrico 06-24-2016 02:48 PM

L83 oil pan swap.
 
1 Attachment(s)
Hello. I am working on my L83 swap and have posted information on different aspects of the swap. Here I have pictures of the factory truck L83 oil pan vs. the car LT1 oilpan. As with Gen III and Gen I'VE LS series engines, the Gen V engines L83, L86, LT1, LT4 share the basic block design. This allows the swapping of the oilpan (and other components ) within these engines. The objective is to select the oilpan that best suits your swap application.

Here you can see a side by side comparison between the two oilpans.

mzrico 06-24-2016 02:58 PM

L83 oilpan.
 
1 Attachment(s)
Here you can see the new oilpan on the L83 engine.

mzrico 06-24-2016 03:08 PM

L83 oilpan delete external oil line.
 
4 Attachment(s)
This oilpan comes with the external cooler that can be removed and plugged using a delete plate.

mzrico 06-24-2016 03:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The oil capacity of the car oilpan without the external cooler is to be determined. I do have concerns about the total volume of oil been sufficient to safely operate the engine. The trucks use and external oil cooler similar to the transmission cooler. If an external oil cooler is used it would allow for additional oil volume in the system, plus using the factory stile cooler would extend the live of the engine . I will make my choice towards the end of my installation,.

mzrico 06-24-2016 03:45 PM

5 Attachment(s)
The first reason to swap the oilpan is to achieve as much clearance as possible within the 69 CAMARO Subframe. Here I am using ICT Billet Gen V engine mount adapting plates with energy suspension engine mounts. The ICT Billet plates allow for 3 positions, I settled for the center position for the engine mount. The subframe has the factory SBC engine mount towers in the factory location and the L83 almost lines up perfectly. The factory towers on the subframe need to be 1/2 inch lower on both sides. I'll work on modifying my towers and post my results. The engine can drop one more inch from its current location.

gthmcty1 06-24-2016 08:49 PM

MZRICO do you have a part number for the pan? This is the car version GenV LT oil pan?

1975delta88 06-24-2016 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gthmcty1 (Post 19307975)
MZRICO do you have a part number for the pan? This is the car version GenV LT oil pan?

Is this the Vette Pan or Camaro Pan? The shop chopped my truck pan and it still won't clear steering linkage. I'm looking at the Camaro SS Pan 12639931. I'm going to have to have the shop measure the pan on my 16 Camaro SS to see if it will work.

gthmcty1 06-24-2016 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1975delta88 (Post 19308018)
Is this the Vette Pan or Camaro Pan? The shop chopped my truck pan and it still won't clear steering linkage. I'm looking at the Camaro SS Pan 12639931. I'm going to have to have the shop measure the pan on my 16 Camaro SS to see if it will work.


Delta which frame mounts are you using? I had the same issue with the 59 Biscayne as I set the engine in there it practically sat on the steering linkage, in addition the engine mounts and frame mounts would not mate up.

I went with actual LS mounts for the frame from CPP and it raised the engine enough to clear the linkage and then some! The factory frame mounts would not line up for s**t!

mzrico 06-25-2016 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gthmcty1 (Post 19307975)
MZRICO do you have a part number for the pan? This is the car version GenV LT oil pan?

Yes, this particular one is GM 12666386 LT1/LT4 OILPAN. It came with the external cooler. Interesting point is that these oilpans do not have the traditional gaskets we become use to seeing on LS engines. Instead it looks to me that these only use a silicone seal.

gthmcty1 06-25-2016 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mzrico
Yes, this particular one is GM 12666386 LT1/LT4 OILPAN. It came with the external cooler. Interesting point is that these oilpans do not have the traditional gaskets we come use to seeing on LS engines. Instead it looks to me that these only use a silicone seal.

I noticed that GM went away from the regular gasket as well, did tribute any type of gasket maker or RTV silicone?

Thanks for the part number as well! Sorry to hear about your harness in sure once you get it back it will fire right up!!

1975delta88 06-25-2016 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gthmcty1 (Post 19308023)
Delta which frame mounts are you using? I had the same issue with the 59 Biscayne as I set the engine in there it practically sat on the steering linkage, in addition the engine mounts and frame mounts would not mate up.

I went with actual LS mounts for the frame from CPP and it raised the engine enough to clear the linkage and then some! The factory frame mounts would not line up for s**t!

I'm using the factory frame mounts with the clamshells on ICT LT1 adapters. If my engine were to be any higher, it won't clear my hood, also the 4l65E is already tight and raising the engine and trans would mean altering my tunnel. I might have to go with a rack and pinion set up.

1975delta88 06-27-2016 12:09 AM

I might have to go with the Camaro SS pan. It looks like it's a lower profile compared to the Vette pan. Will know on Wednesday.

gthmcty1 06-27-2016 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1975delta88
I might have to go with the Camaro SS pan. It looks like it's a lower profile compared to the Vette pan. Will know on Wednesday.

Sounds good Delta!!

mzrico 06-27-2016 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1975delta88 (Post 19309829)
I might have to go with the Camaro SS pan. It looks like it's a lower profile compared to the Vette pan. Will know on Wednesday.

Post a photos to compare the two. Thanks.

mzrico 06-27-2016 04:05 PM

L83 on a 1969 Camaro Subframe.
 
5 Attachment(s)
I got a few pictures of my work this weekend. With the ICT Billet engine plates (middle position of three possible adjustable ) and the Energy Suspension engine mounts,
the L83 almost fits in the stock 69 Camaro subframe without modifications, . I cut and re-welded my factory SBC frame mounts half and inch (2nd and 3rd pics). Also the subframe was notched 3/4''. These modifications locate the engine nicely using the stock subframe holes. The oilpan is protected just above the subframe. The engines balancer clears the front frame crossmember by 1/2". The transmission oilpan does not hang below the subframe. The 6L80e is a few inches longer and wil require a slightly curved crossmember. There are many companies making universal crossmember for LS swaps that can be adapted to the Gen V swaps. The pictures show my results. When I get the body over the frame I will see how the firewall and tunnel may have to be modified.

gthmcty1 06-27-2016 04:11 PM

That looks good man!!!

1975delta88 07-02-2016 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gthmcty1 (Post 19309831)
Sounds good Delta!!

I brought over my 16 Camaro SS for the shop to measure and it does have a lower profile in the front as opposed to the Vette pan. I'll be ordering the Camaro Pan

1975delta88 07-14-2016 08:23 PM

Here's my El Camino with the 16 Camaro SS pan. The had to notch the crossmember a little bit, but not by much. I also had to buy the oil cooler separately. It'll just loop into itself once the oil cooler gets installed.


https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/ls1tech...b3a7a5edb1.jpg

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/ls1tech...f7cbfeae51.jpg

gthmcty1 07-14-2016 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1975delta88 (Post 19328346)
Here's my El Camino with the 16 Camaro SS pan. The had to notch the crossmember a little bit, but not by much. I also had to buy the oil cooler separately. It'll just loop into itself once the oil cooler gets installed.


https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/ls1tech...b3a7a5edb1.jpg

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/ls1tech...f7cbfeae51.jpg

Man that pan looks like it was made for the frame!!!

1975delta88 07-14-2016 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gthmcty1 (Post 19328362)
Man that pan looks like it was made for the frame!!!

Yes it does. I was surprised myself. The shop only had to notch the K-member less than an inch or so. Hopefully the Camaro SS exhaust manifolds will clear also. Keeping my fingers crossed.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:24 PM.