Generation V External Engine LT1 Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT1 Gen V steam lines?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 02:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Default LT1 Gen V steam lines?

Am I mistaken, or does the new LT1 series not have steam lines like the LS?
Old 07-05-2016, 02:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From this diagram, the hose #1 is what is normally connected to the steam line in an LS3. That hose connects to the nipple on the thermostat housing in the L83. But if you switched to the DD set up, you won't have that thermostat housing.

Old 07-05-2016, 04:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

OK, that makes sense for the factory LT1 water pump. Thanks!
Old 03-19-2018, 04:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, there is no "steam Vent" as per LS engines. The Crate Engine instructions say it's vented this way. I had purchased the Holley Gen V LT Accessory drive system. That system uses an LS water pump with no provisions for a LT type steam vent. Multiple emails to Holley has failed to get an explanation. I don't think they thought through the system before they offered it for sale. I am thinking of drilling and tapping the upper water outlet to install the vent. Nobody seems to be using this system yet so I cannot find any information.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is what the Gen V crate engine instructions says:

Engine Cooling System
A surge tank is recommended for removing air from the engine coolant, but as long as the radiator or surge tank is the highest
point in the system, then air will be evacuated from the coolant. The highest point, meaning that either the radiator or the surge
tank have a portion higher than the top of the cylinder heads. If they are not, then air can be trapped within the cylinder heads
and cause portions of the cylinder heads to overheat, which will be detrimental to engine performance and longevity.

Quick Reply: LT1 Gen V steam lines?